Author Topic: Wiggins to miss Tdf again...  (Read 4933 times)

Wiggins to miss Tdf again...
« on: 06 June, 2014, 10:02:25 am »
...so maybe the move to Orica is on the cards for next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27729769
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: Wiggins to miss Tdf again...
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2014, 11:49:07 am »
He was very diplomatic! What's the deal with his contract at Sky? Surely he must want out now?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2014, 12:07:15 pm »
Runs out this year, I thought.

Could be to do with Froome not wanting Wiggins supporting him. The remarks about 'mental weakness' suggest a lack of confidence. Not a good relationship, by the look of it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2014, 12:13:18 pm »
Wiggins is highly strung. It will be interesting to see if he manages to get a media role if he doesn't ride the Tour. It's a good time to transition to that sort of job.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2014, 01:49:20 pm »
It was probable Wiggins wasn't in the TdF squad once the Tour of Romandie team was announced without him. Orica's DS made positive noises about having Wiggo on his team, and I suspect he might fit in a bit better there. His days as a GC leader are probably over, but I could see him filling a Jens Voigt-type role (as a character rather than riding style). Brailsford obviously has to put his eggs in Froome's basket, and Wiggo would be a source of tension and potentially conflict which Sky can do without. I don't see a role for Brad at Sky now, and I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves within a month or two.

Edit: Doh; I meant Criterium Dauphiné, not Tour of Romandie!

« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2014, 06:47:14 pm »
My respect for Froome has fallen massively in the last few days...

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2014, 07:20:38 pm »
My respect for Froome was never that high anyway. On the other hand, Wiggins isn't exactly a Sport publicist's dream either - definitely fragile, and not a very good public speaker. If I was funding a pro cycling team with TdF winning aspirations, I'd go with Froome.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2014, 11:04:49 pm »

« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2014, 01:00:18 am »
That combover is something else though. There's being in denial, and then there's that hairstyle.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2014, 03:52:40 pm »

« Reply #10 on: 07 June, 2014, 04:14:51 pm »
There's no prologue and only one TT, it's not a course for Wiggins. They could include him for PR reasons in the UK, but his presence across the Channel would just be a problem.

« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2014, 05:31:04 pm »
When Ritchie Porte did not ride the Giro due to illness the writing was on the wall that Wiggins would not be in the Tour squad. Frome always appeared to want Porte as his number 2 and doing two grand tours may have reduced his ability to perform that role for Frome in the Tour. But as my father-in-law would most likely have said "a case of political flu."

« Reply #12 on: 08 June, 2014, 10:35:37 pm »
Sir Dave Brailsford has been reported as saying that the team selection is his decision alone, and it's not yet finalised. In the light of Wiggo's reported comments, make of that what you will...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27753300
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-speaks-about-wiggins-froome-spat
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2014, 05:29:18 pm »
I think if I was Adam Yates I'd be disappointed to see Wiggins come to Orica as the designated GC man.
He and his brother are, I understood, on record as saying they didn't go to Sky because they didnt want to ride as domestiques for years.

« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2014, 05:46:09 pm »
Sir Dave Brailsford has been reported as saying that the team selection is his decision alone, and it's not yet finalised. In the light of Wiggo's reported comments, make of that what you will...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27753300
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-speaks-about-wiggins-froome-spat

Wiggo really doesn’t do himself any favours in interviews, does he?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 09 June, 2014, 06:49:46 pm »
I think if I was Adam Yates I'd be disappointed to see Wiggins come to Orica as the designated GC man.
He and his brother are, I understood, on record as saying they didn't go to Sky because they didnt want to ride as domestiques for years.
For that strategy to work you need to be a serious GC contender!

(I hope these too fulfill more potential than the Schleck Sisters.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TimC

« Reply #16 on: 09 June, 2014, 06:50:20 pm »

I think it'll be a couple of years yet before they're ready to compete for GC at the TdF, by which time Brad will have retired, so I doubt his presence for effectively just one full season would upset their career aspirations.

« Reply #17 on: 09 June, 2014, 07:16:49 pm »
Excellent article (IMO) as to why a Froome/Wiggins pairing would not work. 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/27735785

Sky and Brailsford will be looking at the bigger picture and Froome is a safer bet.  Compare and contrast the atmosphere on the final as they crossed the line in Paris: Wiggins relatively isolated while Froome with all his team.  What did that suggest?

Also, TDF is not all about Yorkshire and I'm sure the crowds will be there come what may.  After all, what would have happened if Wiggins was the main GC rider and he crashed prior to TDF.  Race continues and plenty other stars to watch.

« Reply #18 on: 09 June, 2014, 07:34:43 pm »
Compare and contrast the atmosphere on the final as they crossed the line in Paris: Wiggins relatively isolated while Froome with all his team.  What did that suggest?

That Wiggins had just worked his a**e off leading out one his team mates for the win on the Champs Elysees! More to the point, where was Froome whilst all that was happening? No sight of him anywhere...

« Reply #19 on: 09 June, 2014, 07:57:45 pm »
That Wiggins had just worked his a**e off leading out one his team mates for the win on the Champs Elysees! More to the point, where was Froome whilst all that was happening? No sight of him anywhere...

Fair point!

I had forgot that Cav was the bidon boy for Wiggins and he was returning the favour.

I think Froome was at the back reflecting on the fact he could have left Wiggins in the mountains and won the TDF by building a lead that would have seen him OK in the TT.

Other than the Brits, I think Sky's riders have more confidence in the Froome/Porte relationship than with a Wiggins/? pairing.  Froome is the future for Sky and Wiggins did himself no favours after the TDF regards his treatment of Froome and the small matter of the bonus payment which was churlish to say the least and ensured that Froome would never have a good working relationship with Wiggins again, which Wiggins has pretty much admitted.

I could not see Wiggins burning himself out for Froome, but I could see him trying to minimise any losses in the mountains and trying to claw it all back in the final TT, which no doubt has crossed the minds of some others too!

« Reply #20 on: 09 June, 2014, 07:59:53 pm »
We're more concerned about a Tour start for Ben Swift in this house.

TimC

« Reply #21 on: 09 June, 2014, 08:05:07 pm »
Compare and contrast the atmosphere on the final as they crossed the line in Paris: Wiggins relatively isolated while Froome with all his team.  What did that suggest?

I'm sure Brad's not easy to get on with in a competitive situation, but I'm equally sure no top athlete is. If winning wasn't important to the exclusion of almost all else, they'd be also-rans with the rest. But I'm also pretty sure that, outside of the peloton, Wiggo's a decent bloke. I'm not sure I get that impression about Froome! However, that's as maybe. If Sky have decided on Froome as their main man for the TdF (and I entirely understand why they've done that), then it's probably best that Brad moves elsewhere.

« Reply #22 on: 10 June, 2014, 09:42:12 pm »
I'm on holiday (Champagne region and sampling if you're interested) but, from what I've read, Porte seems to be struggling in the Dauphine.
Could that open the door for Wiggins in the TdeF ?
Given every thing that's been reported, I can't imagine anything more likely to motivate Wiggins to be the the ultimate Domestique.
Brailsford has some tough decisions to make; growing a pair and standing up to Froome could be the least of his issues.

« Reply #23 on: 10 June, 2014, 10:37:07 pm »
But why would Wiggins wish to ride his guts out and be domestique to Froome?

Admittedly he could podium, but I reckon he would still want to win it again and would not sacrifice himself for Froome like Porte would.

Also early days yet and Sky must have had the stats for Porte.  Remember he had an 'off day' in the TDF last year.  See what happens as the week progresses and then see what happens in Switzerland.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 11 June, 2014, 07:03:25 am »

Fair point!
Indeed! Wiggo has ridden like a champion - in many ways -,more so than most recent Tour winners.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles