Author Topic: Brimstone 600 - Sat 24 May 2014  (Read 18525 times)

Re: Brimstone 600 - Sat 24 May 2014
« Reply #175 on: 27 May, 2014, 08:28:44 am »
Well done Reg.  There would've been dozens of reason for me to pack.  Chapeau.

Me on your shoulder whispering into your ear would have been one of them..

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #176 on: 27 May, 2014, 08:47:17 am »
No, you're my inspiration Flatus. I don't want to fall off that pedestal you've put me on.

Jonah - not my bottle. Think TG had one like that, and he was there shortly before you, I think.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #177 on: 27 May, 2014, 08:50:28 am »

Someone left a red & yellow 'Powerbar' IL water bottle in Steak Out, Beaminster which I carried back to Arrivee.  I'm not stupid though, I emptied it before stowing it my Nelson Beer Flap. 

Is it yours?

Ah, that would be mine.

I left in a bit of a hurry after that idiot came in and started going on about cyclists shouldn't be on the road. Thought punching him on the nose would have been impolitic.

"I'm not being funny but..." No, mate, you're not being at all funny. >:(

I was several miles down the road before I realised I'd forgotten it. Luckily I had another bidon but I had to stop to get it refilled before reaching Exmouth. I also left my pen in Beaminster so had to memorise info controls for the rest of the ride.

I liked the lady owner of the cafe much better than her customers. She suggested we stay there after closing and get drunk with her. The way the rain was coming down outside at that point, it was a very tempting offer.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #178 on: 27 May, 2014, 08:59:49 am »
Hey,

I was going to ride, however it was Bank holiday so had to give it a miss.  Was walking in Shropshire hills/mountains and not washing my hair :-)

Well done for all who completed this one, it looks like a epic.  I did say to Pete last year when I did the Wessex SR in great weather that these lanes would be a totally different experience in the wet.  Do rite! 

Anybody who finished or took part in this ride won't have a problem with any other  ride.

Treg - that must have been 'hell fire' having all those mechanicals one after another.

Gadge  Great to hear you won the flat comp' with Justin.

Pete glad you got full value for money :-)

Character building stuff that 'real' cycling is about.

Joolz

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #179 on: 27 May, 2014, 09:45:54 am »

I left in a bit of a hurry after that idiot came in and started going on about cyclists shouldn't be on the road. Thought punching him on the nose would have been impolitic.

I was several miles down the road before I realised I'd forgotten it. Luckily I had another bidon but I had to stop to get it refilled before reaching Exmouth. I also left my pen in Beaminster so had to memorise info controls for the rest of the ride.

I liked the lady owner of the cafe much better than her customers. She suggested we stay there after closing and get drunk with her. The way the rain was coming down outside at that point, it was a very tempting offer.

Ah yes, that idiot. What a nightmare. Didn't he claim to be a mtn biker, and think everyone
should only ride offroad? And only cars should be allowed on the roads. Good thing was he
made the rainy outside seem tempting...

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #180 on: 27 May, 2014, 10:28:06 am »

Someone left a red & yellow 'Powerbar' IL water bottle in Steak Out, Beaminster which I carried back to Arrivee.  I'm not stupid though, I emptied it before stowing it my Nelson Beer Flap. 

Is it yours?

Ah, that would be mine.

Shall I hang onto it until we are doing the same ride?  The postage would cost more than the bottle.  I placed your Helly Hansen on the bar at Steak Out.

Steak Out was a really nice place aye? (apart from some the punters) The staff were really nice and acommodated our unusual senses of urgency - entirley Audax friendly :)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #181 on: 27 May, 2014, 10:39:41 am »
This is the sort of event wot legends are made of so will reserve a full account for an Arrivee article. It was an epic way to complete a Wessex SR and my tenth SR series and I can honestly say this was the toughest event that I have done in that time.

The weather forecast was for showers and there were two that lasted most of the day. My machine survived better than Reg Ts in the skoggy lane but regular immersion in various grades of mud solution caused the front mech to seize so I couldn't use the big ring.  Not that this was a problem out to Exmouth. But then it got dark and started raining again.  Struggled up Awliscombe with a car behind me which didn't go past even when I tried to ride in the loose gravel at the roadside which brought progress to a halt.  Whenever you see the word Hemyock on a signpost in the dark you know that there are better places to be. Got to Taunton Deane and seriously contemplated the Days Inn but didn't want to give up so continued at low speed through the soulless plains of the Somerset Levels.  They've taken down the transmission mast on the Mendips so there was no way for me to measure progress in the dark.

Eventually got to the foot of what I thought was the Priddy climb but the SOX was a farm track so must have gone wrong.  Made a guess at the route and spend fifteen minutes of slow plod up what I hoped was the right climb. Fortunately it was and there was a great welcome and some hot soup.  Shocked to find I was second on at 3:50am.

Went to put my head down for a couple of hours sleep but woke up early feeling queasy. Something was seriously wrong in the digestive department.  I managed some porridge but not baked beans.  Encouragement from Teethgrinder and Swiss Hat got me going. After all I'd have to ride to Keynsham Station anyway.   Picked up a spare loo roll from the bunkhouse in case of emergencies.  Stroke of luck was missing a turn and accidentally missing some really churned up lanes so caught Teethgrinder up. We rode together for a little bit button chain was starting to sound like a Krautrock rehearsal so stopped to lube it and on a stroke of genius squeeze some lube on the springs of the front mech

This, sunshine, Swiss Hat's company, a newly working front mech and a tailwind got me to Malmsbury in a positive frame of mind but breakfast wreaked its revenge and I soon parted company fearing a trip to the fields

Fortunately the worst didn't happen although I stopped a few times to lie down and let the nausea clear. I ate very little on the rest of the ride and proceeded at a pedestrian rate. But TonyH was very supportive at Mells and the thought of finishing kept me going.

Shawn and his team organised somewhere for me to stay on Sunday night and I spent yesterday in a daze waiting for my stomach to settle (which it has just about done now). Last year I did the Brimstone in benign conditions and wondered about its reputation.  But there's no worries about its place in the pantheon after this year's edition.  It was an ordeal. But it was a genuine epic and exactly the sort of ride I can look back in hindsight and know that it was a fitting way to become an ultrarandonneur.  Thanks Shawn and others and especially Swiss Hat who helped me on the last stage of my first 600 back in 2005. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #182 on: 27 May, 2014, 11:21:16 am »
Some great write ups here. I'm reading a lot of digestive issues. Sure you didn't all pick up some form of food poisoning?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #183 on: 27 May, 2014, 11:56:22 am »
CET - massive chapeau on becoming an Ultra Randonneur.  One of the most impressive achievements in the ridiculous collections of badges we can get, so hats off for that.  Seems you really had to work for it this weekend as well! 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Reg.T

« Reply #184 on: 27 May, 2014, 12:17:21 pm »
Some great write ups here. I'm reading a lot of digestive issues. Sure you didn't all pick up some form of food poisoning?
Who can be sure? CET thought the soup at Priddy had disagreed with him, but I didn't have any. Don't think we'd eaten the same things or together before then (he was feeling ill when I arrived there). Would be surprised if I hadn't come into contact with anything while tackling my mechanicals on the crappy lane during stage 3, but not sure how long these things take to manifest themselves.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #185 on: 27 May, 2014, 12:30:47 pm »
I don't think it was the food.  I thinl you'll find it is a common occurrence on events with lots of sharp hills in wet weather.  I got very hot on the climbs, with a rain jacket on, and correspondingly very cold on the descents.  Combine this cook chill effect with trying to ingest 1000 calories every four hours and exercise without letting the food settle and you are setting yourself up for tummy trouble. 

Feeling much better today though. And the really difficult report at work has been accepted by the client  :smug: :smug:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #186 on: 27 May, 2014, 12:31:38 pm »
I would say digestive issues are likely manifestations of the physical stress on the body of a hard ride like this, magnified in this case by the wet and windy conditions, that can lead to stomach chills (cold descents after heating up on the climbs). However, drinking out of bottles , which have been sprayed with water from smelly slurry-filled lanes can't be good for us, either. ;)

Strangely, I had no digestive issues to report...but at 40 hours, I probably wasn't trying hard enough...
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #187 on: 27 May, 2014, 01:20:44 pm »
FWIW I think CET and Pete Mas are on the money about digestive issues; system requirements for both calories and carbs are HUGE on a cold, hilly ride and not all will have the ability to process enough whilst on the move.
Slowing down is not an option open to a full value rider.
Avoiding fat will reduce available energy but might speed digestive processing.
Unless a rider has a very high aerobic capacity, body fat on its own is released too slowly to power a rider.

The Wessex rides are tough; I never succeeded in finishing one!

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #188 on: 27 May, 2014, 01:44:28 pm »
Excellent analysis there.
All other things being equal, it took me 39 hours last year, and 40 this year, and I reckon the extra hour was probably spent riding slower up the hills (and I walked a few more than last year...).This was as a result of the rain, cold,headwinds, and slower descending mainly, though of course all things are not really equal.eg Last year I rode with Joolz, which probably improved my pace.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

citoyen

« Reply #189 on: 27 May, 2014, 02:11:48 pm »
My gastric troubles were related to a known and longstanding problem (hiatus hernia). It's a combination of irregular eating patterns, type of food eaten and physical stress of being in a hunched riding position for long periods that aggravate it. I'm sure the conditions didn't help either.

I don't do enough very long rides to have developed an effective coping strategy. Might have helped if I'd taken my medication though. But you live and learn and I'll know better what to expect next time.

citoyen

« Reply #190 on: 27 May, 2014, 02:16:34 pm »

Shall I hang onto it until we are doing the same ride?  The postage would cost more than the bottle.  I placed your Helly Hansen on the bar at Steak Out.

Yeah, definitely not worth posting it. Both the pen and the bottle were freebies so no great loss, just a bit of a nuisance that they were two things I had need of at the time!

Steak Out was a really nice place aye?

Yes, really good. Excellent carrot cake too. Even though I'm sure cake is exactly the kind of thing I shouldn't have been eating...

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #191 on: 27 May, 2014, 02:38:15 pm »
This ride was a real mother-fudger alright.  It's good to know that there are still challenging rides that have tested all of the riders who took part.  Most of whom are clearly very experienced.

The start was miserable and I wasn't looking forward to leaving the Queen Mary for a pissy journey into a watery hell.

Gadge and I had 7 p*******s bewtween us - the most annoying was in the middle of the night on a water logged lane.  And the one at Nunny Catch took the piss.  We literally had to rotate our 3 (semi) usable tubes as we replaced and repaired along the ride.  I repaired 3 tubes in the McDonalds toilets at Exmouth after having first bunged up the sink with toilet paper in order to fill the bowl.

We quicly ran out of oil but the very nice guys at the Priddy control suggested that we use some vegetable oil instead - it worked a treat and eco friendly to boot!

After being battered by wind and rain on Saturday we were then baked daft by the hot Sunday afternoon sun.  So much so that I thought I was enjoying myself.  The ride back to Poole was lovely though - as we rode we made plans for the combination and order of drinks to be secured at the Queen Mary.

I wasn't expecting to see Reg-T at Arrive but now know why after reading his epic.  Good effort to Swiss Hat for achieving his WSFW :thumbsup:  HTF Swiss Hat got back in that time is beyond human belief!

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #192 on: 27 May, 2014, 02:43:24 pm »
I would say digestive issues are likely manifestations of the physical stress on the body of a hard ride like this, magnified in this case by the wet and windy conditions, that can lead to stomach chills (cold descents after heating up on the climbs). However, drinking out of bottles , which have been sprayed with water from smelly slurry-filled lanes can't be good for us, either. ;)

Strangely, I had no digestive issues to report...but at 40 hours, I probably wasn't trying hard enough...

My planned grazing style of eating on day one worked fine. Only small indigestion issues this
time. On flat 600s I can do the pig in 1,000 cals and then ride 3-4 hours and be comfortable.
But on rides like Porkers, BCM and Brimstone no such luck. The exertion from the hard hills without
getting any longer periods to recover just messes up the system. It's certainly an interesting learning
process! Doesn't help to weigh close to 100 kg either. Would be interesting to make an effort to drop
10-15 kg for next year and have another go at those rides.

Reg.T

« Reply #193 on: 27 May, 2014, 04:29:45 pm »
Looking at the finishers list, the only name I don't recognise is Barry Horton. Is he the guy who was riding the MTB (or MTB-like bike)?

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #194 on: 27 May, 2014, 04:54:24 pm »
Not sure.  What were the names of the guys with the Thorn and the Raleigh?

Reg.T

« Reply #195 on: 27 May, 2014, 05:03:15 pm »
Well, I started on a Thorn, and TonyH had his at Horningsham and Mells, but beyond that I'm not sure. Was that the father & son pair?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #196 on: 27 May, 2014, 05:49:39 pm »
Well, I started on a Thorn, and TonyH had his at Horningsham and Mells, but beyond that I'm not sure. Was that the father & son pair?

Yup. Mr and Master Clark.

H

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #197 on: 27 May, 2014, 06:28:45 pm »
No, it was the duo in black Rapha top and another older guy with glasses.  Gadget and I met them at the Waterloo.

We still haven't heard from RideHardon either!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #198 on: 27 May, 2014, 07:05:36 pm »
No, it was the duo in black Rapha top and another older guy with glasses.  Gadget and I met them at the Waterloo.

We still haven't heard from RideHardon either!

Well that was the father and son duo that went through the control at Amport.

H

Reg.T

« Reply #199 on: 27 May, 2014, 07:30:45 pm »
I feel my decision to change bikes is vindicated - have just discovered that a rear drive-side spoke on the Thorn (Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheel) has spontaneously snapped since I got home on Sunday am. While in theory I should've been able to fix that at roadside, I'm not sure I could've still been within time.