Author Topic: I have to trust my timings  (Read 6595 times)

legitlee

I have to trust my timings
« on: 22 August, 2011, 10:08:41 am »
As my first ever Audax (at Moira) is only a couple of weeks away I went out for a trial 108km ride with bike set up for Audax new wheels with dynamo, tyres, lights, bag, and even a map trap, it a lot heavier than I'm used to but thats why I tried it. I had worked out all the times, my controls where I would stop and have a snack etc, but flapping about running out of time I was only stopped for 10 minutes. I was out for 4hrs 40mins so riding for 4:30 the whole idea in doing Audax is to slow down and enjoy it, the challenge being longer distance when I know what I'm doing. At the moment though I just keep pedaling, I would not stop for a brew in a cafe for fear of running out of time. Then when I get home and see I had loads of time left I feel daft. I keep saying to my self I'll spend more time in controls checking in and looking for answers to questions that will slow me down.

So my plan of action for my first Audax in Moira is to tag on to people and learn the cycling speeds, times at info controls and controls and generally learn so I can enjoy. So if you see someone looking lost and asking lots of questions, be gentle with me, and if we stop for a brew and I keep looking at my watch don't take the mick to much.   

Re: I have to trust my timings
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2011, 10:13:32 am »
I think it takes a couple of rides, for the mind to realise that you have plenty of time and to stop fretting about time limits (in my case anyway!). Hope you get on ok  :thumbsup:

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2011, 10:21:07 am »
Shall I lay some caltraps for you every 20km? :demon:
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2011, 10:43:16 am »
I was out for 4hrs 40mins so riding for 4:30 the whole idea in doing Audax is to slow down and enjoy it, the challenge being longer distance when I know what I'm doing. At the moment though I just keep pedaling, I would not stop for a brew in a cafe for fear of running out of time. Then when I get home and see I had loads of time left I feel daft. I keep saying to my self I'll spend more time in controls checking in and looking for answers to questions that will slow me down.

You have around 7 hours to complete a 100km BP. Relax and get your money's worth...

« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2011, 11:05:02 am »
I'm concerned that after all this preparation and worrying, the real event is going to seem a bit of an anticlimax.  "Was that it?"  You will have plenty of time, even if you suffer multiple deflations.  Hopefully you will meet a number of new people and enjoy rolling along with them, sharing a refreshment break in the cafe.  It is not a routemarch, it is meant to be fun.

Try and relax a bit.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2011, 11:36:28 am »
I was like that for my first couple of audaxes until I realised I was finishing with hours to spare.  I reality the time limits are very generous so if you can manage a reasonable on the road average speed (14-15mph) you can lounge about at controls and have a rather relaxing ride.

Billy Weir

« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2011, 01:30:44 pm »
<sheen>
Have one speed, have one gear: go!
</sheen>

mikeluke

« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2011, 03:35:12 pm »
I was like that for my first couple of audaxes until I realised I was finishing with hours to spare.  I reality the time limits are very generous so if you can manage a reasonable on the road average speed (14-15mph) you can lounge about at controls and have a rather relaxing ride.

+1. Take your time to start with. On 100km, pretty much everyone can afford to dawdle. Only once you are doing 300km plus does pace become at all relevant, because then you are racing against the sun setting.

« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2011, 04:00:27 pm »
...so if you can manage a reasonable on the road average speed (14-15mph) you can lounge about at controls and have a rather relaxing ride.

In fact, you can ride with a road average of 20kmh / 12.5mph and probably have two 1 hour stops.

Only once you are doing 300km plus does pace become at all relevant, because then you are racing against the sun setting.

I've done some 300km rides without using lights.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2011, 09:44:52 pm »
I'm by no means fast but I find pootling along at about 18kph leaves plenty of time for cake and cider.

If you have to stop for longer (very nice cake or a pub offering a choice of fine cider) then I just wheel suck some roadie types, you can recognise them as the ones with no mudguards and a nice slurry stripe up their backs, for a few kms.

I'm all for extracting value from your entry fee - why rush? You could do a sportive if you wanted to rush.

legitlee

« Reply #10 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:39:14 am »
Everyone's remarks are very encouraging thank you, moving from sportives is certainly challenging. However I'm looking forward to the planning, preparation, execution and friendship of Audax hope to bump into some of you soon...... :thumbsup:

Billy Weir

« Reply #11 on: 23 August, 2011, 09:05:01 am »
As a great thinker once said:

Quote from: Qui-Gon Jinn
Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.

PS glad you put in "Audax hope to bump into" in below.  Not sure I like the idea of being executed, no matter how friendly a fashion it is done.

legitlee

« Reply #12 on: 23 August, 2011, 01:53:26 pm »
Everyone's remarks are very encouraging thank you, moving from sportives is certainly challenging. However I'm looking forward to the planning, preparation, execution and friendship of Audax hope to bump into some of you soon...... :thumbsup:

Edit: not literally   :facepalm:

« Reply #13 on: 23 August, 2011, 02:04:27 pm »
You should be absolutely fine if you have experience of riding those distances. The control closing times are on the card so you could make sure you leave before the control closes and simply ride faster than the minimum speed.

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #14 on: 23 August, 2011, 11:50:24 pm »
At 4:40 you would be within a quarter of an hour of the MINIMUM time for this ride.

I would say that you could slow right down and take your cues from those riding with you.  The only time I've been troubled by the time limit on a 100 was the first time I did one with my 12 year old, and only then because we had an unplanned stop which put us out of time leaving the penultimate control.

Did I see that you were thinking of doing one of the Alfreton rides in the autumn?  If so then looking forward to meeting you.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

« Reply #15 on: 26 August, 2011, 12:09:48 pm »
The control closing times are on the card so you could make sure you leave before the control closes and simply ride faster than the minimum speed.

Genius.

« Reply #16 on: 28 August, 2011, 11:46:34 am »
I just ride at a pace I am comfortable with stop at controls without worrying about time too much usually stop once or twice to take photos. I am a fairly slow rider but havent been timed out yet, only started this year have done about  five 100 and one 200 so far.

If you get timed out so what? unless its a PBP qualifier or something would it really spoil your day ?

« Reply #17 on: 28 August, 2011, 11:54:03 am »
If you get timed out so what? unless its a PBP qualifier or something would it really spoil your day ?

Exactly. Ignore the timings and just have a nice ride. You'll almost certainly find you arrive within the time limits as it is pretty hard not to on a shorter event.

I encountered a rider a few weeks back at the end of what must be one of the most scenic 200s in the UK. He had nothing to say about what a brilliant day it had been, with amazing roads, great controls and decent weather, but could only panic about the fact that he was missing an info answer, as if somehow he hadn't actually done the ride without it.

crazy diamond

• remember when you were young, you shone.....
« Reply #18 on: 05 September, 2011, 10:10:28 pm »
Yes, but that rider is a bit different to your average Audax rider!
I agree, relax and take your time.  Enjoy the scenery and the company.  Its not meant to be a race, and you'll finish well within the time limit.