Author Topic: Shipwreck  (Read 4537 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
Shipwreck
« on: 15 May, 2023, 10:52:17 am »
The north end of the beach at Kinnaber, near Montrose, is a fairly dynamic beach environment. The east coast has plenty of mobile dunes (except where 45 has anchored them in place with grass and rock, but don't get me started). Kinnaber is an interesting place, full of tank traps and old war infrastructure. Sediment transport is generally northwards, because of the prevailing winds, while sea transport is generally southwards, as the tide comes in from the Atlantic around the north coast of Scotland.

There have been some heavy rain storms in the last few days, and when we took the ridiculous derp wolf for a walk, the mouth of the North Esk had experienced a spate dump and shifted slightly north (although not as far north as it has been in the past).

I saw something odd sticking out of the sand near the abandoned nets, and later googling discovered it was the wreck of the Edward, a four man brig that foundered on the beach on November 26th 1852, all hands lost. She came aground belly up, and these rusted iron plates must be all that was left of her.

[

I bumped into a couple of other dogwalkers who wanted to meet the wolf, and mentioned the wreck. They've been walking there for years at all state of the tide, they said, and had never seen such a thing. I love how ephemeral the beach is, this in-between space where things appear and disappear over the course of minutes, days, weeks, months, years.

Sam

https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Shipwreck
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2023, 11:02:40 am »
The Ballyshannon foundered off the coast of Cariboo
And down in fathoms many went the Captain and the crew.
Down went the owners, greedy men whom hope of gain inured -
Oh, dry that starting tear, for they were heavily insured.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2023, 01:44:20 pm »
A pedant writes:

The Cariboo region, shown here in red doesn’t have a coast.

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2023, 01:50:13 pm »
I can't find a ship named the Ballyshannon either. Nor a tea company named Baker, Croop and Co.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2023, 04:10:55 pm »
A great-uncle of mine was master of the barque Roma, trading between Londonderry and Nova Scotia at the end of the 19th century.  He got himself embayed with an onshore wind and refused help from locals because he didn't want to pay salvage.  The Roma foundered and all on board were lost. Damn fool.

My father used to have a framed photo of the crew, taken on the quarter-deck.  Dunno where it went since he died but I'd love to have it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2023, 12:18:44 am »
Lovely. In contrast to the wreck near Montrose, there is a wreck near Wormit, or more specifically, Jock's Hole* (stoppit), that we could see every day as a kid, clearly visible from our top floor corpie house in one of Dundee's high points. This is the beastie from slightly closer range:

It really is not far form the shore and talk of torpedos associated with this wreck led my old man took me out in an attempt to get closer to this one day. We didn't make it far from the shore where, even at low tide before giving up. Both of us were struggling with the sticky mud and neither of us fancied an RNLI call out followed by a byline in the Courier. All of this was before the internet and it transpires it was not torpedoed, nor was it likely a torpedo boat. More here.

* Which reminds me of the old Dundee joke...

How do you get to Cox's Stack?

Up Cox's leg.

See also, How do you get to Jock's Hole/Nelson's column/Shepherds Bush?
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

ravenbait

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:26:42 am »
Thanks for that photo. I listened to a BBC podcast recently about the Unknown Bairn ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-62961590 -- good but harrowing), and one of the suspicions (unfounded, it turned out) was that the wee boy had drowned while going to or from that wreck. Despite being from Fife myself, I was unaware of it.

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:31:14 am »
No photo, but there are two barges in the Severn estuary upstream of Sharpness, which brought a bridge down and severed a gas main in 1960. One pier of the bridge remains on land, the wrecks are visible at low tide. Various conspiracy theories abound.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:58:04 am »
Not far from Sharpness is Purton Ship Graveyard. I think I read they were taken there and abandoned in the 1950s and 60s to stabilise the riverbank.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2023, 10:46:33 am »
Yes, they're not shipwrecks strictly speaking, more a sort of maritime rubble.

« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2023, 10:58:59 am »
Fraser Island

« Reply #11 on: 16 May, 2023, 12:43:55 pm »
Not far from Sharpness is Purton Ship Graveyard. I think I read they were taken there and abandoned in the 1950s and 60s to stabilise the riverbank.
They look very much like the concrete barges which have been abandoned on The Thames at Rainham (Essex) https://tinyurl.com/bdfbee2r
(In addition to which, these have a spaceman visible at low tide)

And the ones on the opposite bank at Gillingham
https://tinyurl.com/6m5cu85y

ETA - Also, If you scoot downstream the estuary, and you do a search for Humble Bee Creek you'll end up seeing this:
https://tinyurl.com/yf84tcf4

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #12 on: 16 May, 2023, 03:03:39 pm »
Lovely. In contrast to the wreck near Montrose, there is a wreck near Wormit, or more specifically, Jock's Hole* (stoppit), that we could see every day as a kid, clearly visible from our top floor corpie house in one of Dundee's high points. This is the beastie from slightly closer range:

It really is not far form the shore and talk of torpedos associated with this wreck led my old man took me out in an attempt to get closer to this one day. We didn't make it far from the shore where, even at low tide before giving up. Both of us were struggling with the sticky mud and neither of us fancied an RNLI call out followed by a byline in the Courier. All of this was before the internet and it transpires it was not torpedoed, nor was it likely a torpedo boat. More here.

* Which reminds me of the old Dundee joke...

How do you get to Cox's Stack?

Up Cox's leg.

See also, How do you get to Jock's Hole/Nelson's column/Shepherds Bush?

I'd always believed it was a US NAvy Torpedo boat so that Canmore correction is interesting, oddly enough I have pictures of it too, somewhere.

ravenbait

« Reply #13 on: 16 May, 2023, 04:07:05 pm »
I checked the Historic Environment Record again, and there are records of several ships aground  in that location, so I'm not entirely sure which one it was.

It could also have been the Antelope, the Edith, the HMT Buccaneer, or a sloop from Berwick.

Sam

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #14 on: 16 May, 2023, 06:06:18 pm »
I should fess up and say that the photo is not mine (wikimedia). I wasn't of an age to be trusted by my old man's Olympus when we went out to it, or tried to at least.

The Canmore correction confuses me a little as it would appear to have sunk after damage by ice around 1981/82. I remember a heavy winter, but not ice in the Tay.

@Ravenbait. You are not wrong about that BBC article being harrowing. That is not a case that i ever remember hearing about.
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #15 on: 16 May, 2023, 08:53:57 pm »
When new to the area and hoping to view famous Gloustershire's famous Purton hulks it is advantageous to do a little research in order to arrive at the correct Purton.
I mean, villages of the same name on opposite banks of the river?  That possibility didn't cross my mind.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:40:31 pm »
Legend has it that the Romans used to wade from one to the other, at low tide, before they built a bridge. Somewhat further down the "mainland" (non-FoD) bank is a building that used to be a pub, near which there is or used to be a board with information about a man who did this in the 20th century.

https://goo.gl/maps/81QwzrbEx5D4pdpN9

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #17 on: 17 May, 2023, 12:11:14 pm »
I should fess up and say that the photo is not mine (wikimedia). I wasn't of an age to be trusted by my old man's Olympus when we went out to it, or tried to at least.

The Canmore correction confuses me a little as it would appear to have sunk after damage by ice around 1981/82. I remember a heavy winter, but not ice in the Tay.

@Ravenbait. You are not wrong about that BBC article being harrowing. That is not a case that i ever remember hearing about.

1981/82 Winter was the last time before 2010 there were ice floes on the tay apparently.
I was in NICU at the time.

« Reply #18 on: 17 May, 2023, 12:20:50 pm »
Fascinating deep-sea scan compilation of Titanic on the BBC News Website, today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65602182

« Reply #19 on: 07 June, 2023, 11:41:52 pm »
A pedant writes:

The Cariboo region doesn’t have a coast.

Perhaps 150 leagues South-southwest of the Cariboo, the fine ship Peter Iredale, constructed in Liverpool with steel plates on iron frames, was blown aground at the "Graveyard of the Pacific" at the mouth of the Columbia River in Oregon, US of A.  "Graveyard" because many ships met a similar fate there.  The Peter Iredale is the only one that can be seen - the others are in deeper water offshore.

[ my photo does not seem to want to load, but searching for images will find you a number of them.  "I seem to recall" that when I was perhaps 60 years younger, the bowsprit was still present ]

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #20 on: 08 June, 2023, 12:41:48 am »
Assuming western USAnia is not on fire again this Unit is actually hoping to see the mouth of the Mighty Columbia with mine own eyes this year.

Wikinaccurate pic of what’s left of said ship:

« Reply #21 on: 08 June, 2023, 08:37:19 pm »
Assuming western USAnia is not on fire again this Unit is actually hoping to see the mouth of the Mighty Columbia with mine own eyes this year.

Yes, that's her.  Try to time your visit for a low tide.

Presently North America's major fires are in eastern Canada.  Photos from New York show the air about the color of orange in that sunset, and the sun like a red ball.  Out here in the Pacific Northwest (I'm about halfway between the Peter Iredale and the Cariboo), we had some smoke from fires in Alberta a few weeks back, but not so much now.

Just a little ways south of the mouth of "The Great River of the West", the Tillamook Burn(s) of the 30s resulted in ash fall and bits of partly-combusted branches landing on the decks of ships offshore.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #22 on: 08 June, 2023, 11:03:41 pm »
Last time I was in those parts, albeit in early September, I coughed under smoke from Mount Rushmore to Portland.  The following year, in BC, wasn’t much better with murky air all the way into the Yukon.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

ravenbait

« Reply #24 on: 11 September, 2023, 12:02:36 pm »
We went back during the blue moon spring tides.

Sam