Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3889934 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22775 on: 01 January, 2020, 08:01:35 pm »
24 miles to Chertsey and back with a friend who might be on here somewhere, he has limited Internet access,. Nice to get along the Thames cycle path between staines and Chertsey 🙂
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22776 on: 03 January, 2020, 02:31:49 pm »
46k practically non-stop round a favourite loop. Between moving off and getting home my foot touched the ground for only 7 seconds, which was exceptional for this area.  Year & years ago I managed a 100k loop entirely non-stop, which was miraculous. No track-stands, either.

Had to do the last 10k in blattering rain. Crawled in like a drowned Johnson, leaving a trail. MrsT: oh, is it wet?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22777 on: 03 January, 2020, 03:14:09 pm »
Cycled back from the car dealer after selling my car.  He was a bit taken aback as I don't think they see many bicycles.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22778 on: 03 January, 2020, 05:53:51 pm »
Usual short loop.  Got wow-dogged by a dog running out from behind a parked van on a country lane:

I'd clocked the owner herding a pair of smallish dogs on leads by the van's verge-side door, and as I got closer, additional barking that sounded like it was coming from another, more substantial dog, so I slowed down a bit.  But I was in the middle of the road to avoid slimy run-off on the left, so didn't have a lot of time to react when it appeared from behind the van on my right, and we collided as I emergency-stopped.  I felt the impact, stayed rubber-side up and was un-hurt.  The dog barked aggressively, ran down the road a bit, barked some more, and repeat, until it ran behind a (by this point stationary) oncoming car and into the adjacent field.  Owner was shouting at it (indeed, he was shouting before the impact), but had his hands full of other dogs, so couldn't restrain it.  He checked I was okay, and suggested the best thing I could do was carry on and get away from the scene, as the dog was probably scared.

I stopped out of sight round the next corner to straighten the chainring guard (cheesy sheet aluminium, so it being bent enough to rub the crank doesn't really mean anything), bike was otherwise fine.  I don't think the dog was seriously injured (it was hit at low speed by the chainring guard and probably my foot at shoulder level - nothing sharp, and its legs didn't get near the wheel), but I still feel awful about it.  :(

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22779 on: 04 January, 2020, 08:18:12 am »
50km on Monday and 60km on Thursday, both on two of my usual local loops.  Winds have been strong around here this week, so Monday was harder work than I expected as I ended up with a long into the wind leg.  Thursday better planned, some into the wind early on, then crosswind and motly tail/cross on the home leg.  Both nice and dry and decently sunny, no pub stops on either even thiough there were several en-route.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #22780 on: 04 January, 2020, 05:11:25 pm »
I did but annoyingly Strava (or my phone GPS) had some issues and reckoned I managed 16 miles when I only did 13 and that in some spots I was going nearly 800mph!!

Some was signal bounce when I was stopped but another section was a whole bit of open road when I was apparently here, there and everywhere.

It doesn't really matter but still annoying.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #22781 on: 04 January, 2020, 05:54:30 pm »
60-odd miles over Bollihope, along some shootin' tracks and back along the main roads to preserve my knee, which I jarred a bit. Bit breezy, but mild, and it's just the best place.

« Reply #22782 on: 04 January, 2020, 07:58:56 pm »
Just over 32km last night. Cold and crisp but roads quiet apart from the real back roads which were busier then usual but drivers courteous.

Slow and hard work. Highlight was what I believe to be two male owls in competition or adjacent territory having a hoot off. Close enough to hear the kinda reverb bit at the end of the hoot.

« Reply #22783 on: 04 January, 2020, 11:11:02 pm »
60-odd miles over Bollihope, along some shootin' tracks and back along the main roads to preserve my knee, which I jarred a bit. Bit breezy, but mild, and it's just the best place.

I wish I'd found Audax, and this place, when I was at uni at Durham.

« Reply #22784 on: 04 January, 2020, 11:47:00 pm »
Come along to this, it'd be a decent ride via Bollihope from Durham :)

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=114443.0

« Reply #22785 on: 05 January, 2020, 12:06:23 am »
I'm sure it would. But as I currently live in Eastbourne it might be a bit of a stretch.

Would be nice though.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22786 on: 05 January, 2020, 12:14:39 am »
Did some saturday night beer money delivery work on the fixed gear. It was actually pretty fun, made £25 in about two hours and got a free crepe. 44/17 is a fun ratio for lazy trundling. Would have gone on longer but I am doing an actual ride tomorrow.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #22787 on: 06 January, 2020, 02:44:21 pm »

I wish I'd found Audax, and this place, when I was at uni at Durham.

Same! (Plus also cycling...)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22788 on: 06 January, 2020, 02:58:24 pm »
Yes! A 17 mile Barling Loop with a new stoker, Rob. Rob is blind and was introduced to me by Stefan, aka Badger OTP. Rob has his own tandem but it's currently hors concours so we went on mine. He's a big lad - 6' 2" and I'd guess at least 17 stones, so it was quite an upper body workout for me keeping the bike on the straight and narrow.

Weather cool and breezy. Good cycling weather, but the headwind coming back along the sea front was hard work. We did overtake another cyclist though, which I doubt I would have done if I had been on my own.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #22789 on: 06 January, 2020, 10:05:43 pm »
Only to work and back. But I did get out in the sunshine on Saturday, trailer a-dangle for errands and sacks of dog feed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22790 on: 07 January, 2020, 04:24:54 pm »
82k cake-shop run remarkable only for the fact that I did it.  Felt bleh for first 20k and was musing on excuses for cutting it short, but after a half-decent climb I began to feel OK so I kept going.  Legs now feel as if someone's been a them with a rolling-pin: I haven't done over 50k on an outing since November and I haven't done many. Quite pleased.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22791 on: 07 January, 2020, 04:36:41 pm »
Yes! A 17 mile Barling Loop with a new stoker, Rob.

Good stuff, but remember:  No DunRuns until you've done a 50 miler without any nads-related grumbling!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22792 on: 07 January, 2020, 06:33:17 pm »
Yes! A 17 mile Barling Loop with a new stoker, Rob.

Good stuff, but remember:  No DunRuns until you've done a 50 miler without any nads-related grumbling!

I suspect he won't get that far. He has a very upright riding position and his arse takes all the pressure. He's in his 50s now but he told me that when he was young (he's been bind since birth) he was close to paralympic tandem level. Apart from our coffee stop after about 7 miles, we stopped again on the sea front about 5 miles later to give his arse a rest. i didn't bother with cycling gear - apart from gel mitts, I don't for rides under 20 miles unless I'm expecting rough terrain.

Today, a short ride <5 miles to Penny's place for a cup of tea and a good natter. I got both, and a spoffle with Molly the Black lab. Molly is on steroids because she has very itchy skin. She started a new batch today and they seem to be working. She slept most of the afternoon.

I actually had another purpose for the visit. I had offered to give Penny my seed and she said "Yes" - she has tried to cultivate mistletoe on her apple tree before, but without success. I forgot to take my white stick seeds with me. So I shall just have to go again.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #22793 on: 07 January, 2020, 06:47:17 pm »
wonderful encounter of a weasel taking a field mouse - it was that windy I don't think it even knew I was there (and wouldn't understand the light)
A wild wild day to be out, ran with the wind for 20 mile then took 3¼ hours to get back (looking forward to my tea the night)

« Reply #22794 on: 07 January, 2020, 08:51:12 pm »
 :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22795 on: 08 January, 2020, 10:21:44 am »
wonderful encounter of a weasel taking a field mouse - it was that windy I don't think it even knew I was there (and wouldn't understand the light)
A wild wild day to be out, ran with the wind for 20 mile then took 3¼ hours to get back (looking forward to my tea the night)

:thumbsup: indeed

« Reply #22796 on: 08 January, 2020, 10:38:37 am »

:thumbsup: indeed

must learn how to upload videos to the internet, it was more interesting than the screenshots - better still was my progress into the wind as I wobbled from side to side as though I had just sank 8 pints.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22797 on: 08 January, 2020, 12:09:24 pm »
Great weasel action! By coincidence, I also saw a weasel on Saturday evening, but no photos (and I didn't see it catch anything).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22798 on: 08 January, 2020, 12:23:35 pm »
I'm afraid the reference to the weasel means this post shouldn't be here. It should be moved to "lift the mustalid"

I'll get my coat.....

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22799 on: 08 January, 2020, 01:32:42 pm »
 :facepalm: