Author Topic: The tennis...  (Read 85421 times)

Re: The tennis...
« Reply #50 on: 28 November, 2015, 05:20:02 pm »
Just noticed that the last time GB, with Fred Perry, won the DC in 1936, Fred Perry also won Wimbledon for the third and final time...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

simonp

« Reply #51 on: 29 November, 2015, 01:57:43 am »
Just noticed that the last time GB, with Fred Perry, won the DC in 1936, Fred Perry also won Wimbledon for the third and final time...

He might have won more but turned professional in late 1936.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #52 on: 29 November, 2015, 01:53:17 pm »
"Unabomber, unabomber yuh yuh"

Wish I knew what the Belgians were singing!
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #53 on: 29 November, 2015, 02:18:59 pm »
This is nearly as tense as when he won Wombledon!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #54 on: 29 November, 2015, 02:23:09 pm »
And we've had to wait even longer.

Is it the first time that Scotland have been in the Davis Cup final?  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #55 on: 29 November, 2015, 02:28:04 pm »
And the cue cards explain it. "Tous ensemble, Tous ensemble".

Just as he breaks back.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #56 on: 29 November, 2015, 02:33:32 pm »
What, in plain English, does being given a "code violation for a verbal obscenity" mean? OK, he said "Fuck!" but what are the consequences of a code violation?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #57 on: 29 November, 2015, 02:44:59 pm »
After (I don't know how many) warnings he loses a point. If he does it again he loses four points.

The umpire can also dock points for the crowds behaviour.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #58 on: 29 November, 2015, 02:59:36 pm »
Ta.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #59 on: 29 November, 2015, 03:06:35 pm »
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #60 on: 29 November, 2015, 03:26:48 pm »
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #61 on: 30 November, 2015, 07:59:20 am »
What a shot to finish it all on...  Well done GB. :thumbsup:

« Reply #62 on: 01 December, 2015, 08:14:29 am »
Apparently John Lloyd criticised Murray for not doing enough to big-up the LTA. Perhaps that has something to do with the LTA having absolutely nothing to do with his rise to prominence - nor with Laura Robson, Kyle Edmunds, Joanne Konta, Heather Watson etc. etc.  All relied on parents to fund their development.  And today Murraty is saying that talking to the LTA is a waste of time, and that it's concerning that there are no juniors coming up. He also observed that when he went to the National Tennis Centre on Tues and Weds before the Davis Cup tie to get some hitting in, there were NO players using it - neither gym nor courts.

As long as UK LTA affiliated tennis clubs (there are exceptions of course, one being our local centre at Halton) allow adult members to throw juniors off court at will (even if those juniors are playing a competition round - yes it happens) then the LTA will remain a waste of space and we will languish at the bottom of the tennis league tables if not for the perseverance and sacrifice of competitive parents.

Rant over  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

simonp

« Reply #63 on: 01 December, 2015, 08:20:08 am »

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #64 on: 01 December, 2015, 09:19:12 am »
Apparently John Lloyd criticised Murray for not doing enough to big-up the LTA. Perhaps that has something to do with the LTA having absolutely nothing to do with his rise to prominence - nor with Laura Robson, Kyle Edmunds, Joanne Konta, Heather Watson etc. etc.  All relied on parents to fund their development.  And today Murraty is saying that talking to the LTA is a waste of time, and that it's concerning that there are no juniors coming up. He also observed that when he went to the National Tennis Centre on Tues and Weds before the Davis Cup tie to get some hitting in, there were NO players using it - neither gym nor courts.

As long as UK LTA affiliated tennis clubs (there are exceptions of course, one being our local centre at Halton) allow adult members to throw juniors off court at will (even if those juniors are playing a competition round - yes it happens) then the LTA will remain a waste of space and we will languish at the bottom of the tennis league tables if not for the perseverance and sacrifice of competitive parents.

Rant over  :)

I read that also

Murray said one of his main frustrations was a lack of players to practise with whenever he is in the UK.
After returning from the Shanghai Masters in October, Murray said he arrived at the National Training Centre in London to find no other players present.
"I was there on a Monday at about 3pm and then on Tuesday, at the same time," he said.
"There was not one person using any of the indoor courts and not one person in the gym. I took photos of it because the place cost like £40m and there are no people."

Unfortunately the Murray anomaly, and the Davis Cup win, may give the impression we are a good Tennis-playing nation when we really aren't.

Whenever I go abroad I see people playing tennis on public courts.  I can honestly say I don't see anyone, at all, all year, using public courts around here... apart from Wimbledon fortnight, when everyone digs out the tennis bats, heads down the local Rec' and discovers they are full.

We have 2 men in the top 100 (#2 & #45) and 6 in the top 200.

France have 7 in the top 50.

Spain have 15 in the top 100

The big shock for me is Germany who also seem to have no depth in men's tennis right now.  USA, given the participation levels I saw when I was living there, aren't doing so well in the men's rankings.

However British Tennis would simply fall off a cliff if Murray wasn't around, there's no depth, no up-and-coming star and, from what Murray says about the LTA facilities.. not much chance of it changing.

Have they not heard about Dave Brailsford?

Is the LTA one of those awful British "Empire era" societies?  Too genteel, where trying to win is seen as "bad form old chap"?

LTA chief Downey said the coverage created by Britain's successful weekend in Belgium should help "encourage participation".
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #65 on: 01 December, 2015, 10:23:17 am »
I noticed when I took the dog to the park the other morning tha both courts were in use. IKBAAT but it looked to me as though the server I watched was reasonably proficient.

SBC did refurbish the outside courts to a high standard fairly recently. There are also outdoor (concrete) table tennis tables. I have very rarely seen anyone use those, and never have I seen anyone use the outdoor chess board with its two very uncomfortable-looking concrete chairs!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #66 on: 01 December, 2015, 12:15:00 pm »
Table tennis and it's duller big brother are both very affected by the weather. I would think this means southern Europe gets a lot more use from outdoor courts than us.

( Indoor tennis is scarily expensive everywhere that I have looked - luckily Ping-Pong is cheap as chips! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #68 on: 04 December, 2015, 08:10:12 am »
Murray ranked 2 itw, in a playing team of three is always not going to be reflective of the 'state of the game' in UK - great win though.

simonp

« Reply #69 on: 19 January, 2016, 10:45:16 pm »
Nadal out. Verdasco on form is some player.

simonp

« Reply #70 on: 19 January, 2016, 10:46:22 pm »
Forgot to say well done Johanna Konta. Great result.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #71 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:44:42 pm »
Yay Andy!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #72 on: 21 January, 2016, 02:41:10 pm »
And yay Johanna again too - I'm warming to our antipodean inport  :thumbsup:

And again!  First Brit woman into a GS quarter-final for 30+ years  ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #73 on: 27 January, 2016, 07:43:52 am »
And now we have two Australian Open semi-finalists.

« Reply #74 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:04:26 am »
"What you mean We, kemo sabby?"