Poll

Do you wear a tie (as an adult and since leaving school)?

Every day
1 (1.4%)
When in the office
5 (6.8%)
On important business occasions
4 (5.4%)
On other important occasions
14 (18.9%)
Occasionally
21 (28.4%)
Never
27 (36.5%)
No, but I do wear a codpiece (or other device to attract the onlooker's eye to my groin)
1 (1.4%)
No, cos of not presenting as male there is no society-imposed for me to need to do so anyways
0 (0%)
No, cos of not presenting as male there is no society-imposed for me to need to do so anyways
1 (1.4%)
White tie only
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Wearing a tie  (Read 8093 times)

Re: Wearing a tie
« Reply #25 on: 09 February, 2021, 06:00:01 pm »
I usually wear a tie at work, even though it is not a requirement, and often when I dress smartly. I can't remember if have riden on YACF rides wearing a tie, but I have done other group rides wearing one.  :smug:

I've certainly worn a cravat on a YACF ride...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #26 on: 09 February, 2021, 06:07:18 pm »
I usually wear a tie at work, even though it is not a requirement, and often when I dress smartly. I can't remember if have riden on YACF rides wearing a tie, but I have done other group rides wearing one.  :smug:

I would've thought wearing a tie at your work was a bit dodgy if there was a chance of it getting caught up in the chuck of a Myford or a Colchester - unless the tie was a clip-on....

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 09 February, 2021, 06:13:58 pm »
And the first thing is... "descended from the codpiece"! Really?

Ascended from the codpiece, surely?

Today, the necktie retains its connection with the codpiece through its arrow shaped design and length that directs the eye of an onlooker down towards a man’s groin.

Reminds me of the lyrics from the Belle & Sebastian song Step Into My Office Baby:
"I've got to change my ways
Dress for business every day
A sharp suit and a kipper tie
A big arrow pointing to my fly"
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #28 on: 09 February, 2021, 06:30:58 pm »
When I started in my current job, twenty-six years ago, the dress code was jacket and tie. Few people had jackets with them, let alone wore them, but those were the roolz.
As time as worn on, and we've been moved within parent organisations, sold, and absorbed into ever larger groups, the requirement for such things has declined to the state that, apparently we no longer have a dress code at all. So, when we used to be in the office, you could see everything from torn jeans and tatty t-shirts to rather posh suits.
I gave up wearing a tie in our office about ten years ago. I do have one in my locker in case of a customer visit, but I think I've worn it once.
I do wear a suit and tie on other sites (customer or internal). I'm usually being sold as a 'consultant' and there is still some sort of vague authority about dressing up. Mind, it's been over five years since I had to go anywhere other than base.
Bizarrely, the only time I regularly wear a tie is when dancing for one of my morris teams, whose kit is based on a predecessor team from 1901. 
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #29 on: 09 February, 2021, 06:41:27 pm »

I would've thought wearing a tie at work was a bit dodgy if there was a chance of it getting caught up in the chuck of a Myford or a Colchester - unless the tie was a clip-on....

Not many Myfords or Colchester lathes in schools now. Guarding is much better, and I would wear a buttoned up boiler suit when working on such machinery. In the home workshop, I have a Drummond lathe with open gears and belts, so I'm used to respecting moving machinery.

I would still take my tie off if using the polisher or bench grinder at work, though!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #30 on: 09 February, 2021, 06:46:23 pm »
Funerals. Several each year over the last few years.
Reading a lesson at the Carol Service.
At the formal dinner of the Twinning trip in France
Laying wreaths the War Memorial.

For business, probably not for 20 years. Some years ago I told my Canukistan Business Partner that we no longer wear ties when going to business meetings. He appeared at breakfast with his top button done up  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #31 on: 09 February, 2021, 06:50:24 pm »
I will be wearing a tie tomorrow morning for the first time in maybe 10 years (as far as I can work out).
I've got an in-person job interview at a school.
My logic for the noose is that the school dress code includes a tie, and if the children are expected to wear one, then probably the staff should too.

I've got a good collection of really nice ties - many of the bought for pennies in South Korea - from when the job required them. I will be wearing my old school tie - not the original from 50 years ago, but a very smart replica flogged to me by the old boys club some years since.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #32 on: 09 February, 2021, 06:51:04 pm »

I would've thought wearing a tie at work was a bit dodgy if there was a chance of it getting caught up in the chuck of a Myford or a Colchester - unless the tie was a clip-on....

Not many Myfords or Colchester lathes in schools now. Guarding is much better, and I would wear a buttoned up boiler suit when working on such machinery. In the home workshop, I have a Drummond lathe with open gears and belts, so I'm used to respecting moving machinery.

I would still take my tie off if using the pollisher or bench grinder at work, though!
I'm clearly behind the times.......

« Reply #33 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:05:38 pm »
I've just remembered - we do have a Myford!

ML8 wood lathe. I would remove my tie for that one too (and put on my Screwfix baseball cap on backwards to keep the shavings from going down the back of my shirt collar)

« Reply #34 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:07:25 pm »
I've just remembered - we do have a Myford!

ML8 wood lathe. I would remove my tie for that one too (and put on my Screwfix baseball cap on backwards to keep the shavings from going down the back of my shirt collar)
;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #35 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:26:17 pm »
For business, probably not for 20 years. Some years ago I told my Canukistan Business Partner that we no longer wear ties when going to business meetings. He appeared at breakfast with his top button done up  ;D
I think that's comparatively less odd than some of the other suit-no suit hybrid styles: suit with t-shirt (sometimes with a tie printed on it!)  for instance, or suit jacket, shirt, tie with jeans and trainers. But hey, it's only fashion!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #36 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:33:04 pm »
In normal times I wear one in the office, but since around April I've stuck to a polo shirt when I'm in because meh.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #37 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:40:48 pm »
I can't remember when I last wore one. My funeral shirt is collarless so I can do without the stupid things. I'm not sure if I can still tie one.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

« Reply #38 on: 09 February, 2021, 08:14:19 pm »
I'm not sure I ever could tie one, our school ties were deliberately mangled, usually the giant knot with the thin end out front, or we'd tuck the entire lot into our shirts. Tie that tie properly! Never did. We couldn't roll up our skirt hems like the girls, so it was our only option to rebel.

I did, when I first started going back to the office for a couple of days, take a pair of trousers to change out of my shorts (I'd take the train in and then ride from the station and then cycle all the way home). Then one day I was sitting there and thought why, I may as well just wear shorts. That was the closest I got to dressing for the office. I think that was a hang over from 'business casual' in the US.

I did lie about the tie, I have worn one since school days. Back when I lived out in the colonies, I used to get invited to the occasional dinner at the CEO's country club, a proper southern place (where the restaurant didn't have menus, you just told them what you wanted and they somehow made it happen) they always used to have to bring me a tie and jacket from the shame closet. Well, at least you managed trousers, sir.

« Reply #39 on: 09 February, 2021, 09:29:25 pm »
I stayed at my previous employer for over 30 years and just carried on wearing one as fewer and fewer around me did so. When I was made redundant and moved, to a similar environment, absolutely no-one did, not even the CEO, so I didn't either (except for interview, obviously). Now I haven't worn one for about eight years, and still have loads left from when I did.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #40 on: 10 February, 2021, 01:12:40 am »
I have a sneaking suspicion that I've forgotten how to tie one as well.  But I'm not planning on going to any weddings, funerals or bar-mitzvahs any time soon and if Miss von Brandenburg's long-postponed wedding reception ever happens it'll be strictly jeans and T-shaped shirts.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 10 February, 2021, 02:12:07 pm »
Needs a "not since school" option really, especially for the female forumites who can easily avoid ties in adult contexts.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #42 on: 10 February, 2021, 02:42:36 pm »
Needs a "not since school" option really, especially for the female forumites who can easily avoid ties in adult contexts.
I was kind of assuming ( :hand:) adult contexts only. So 'Never' = 'Never as an adult', which is the same really as 'Not since school'.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #43 on: 10 February, 2021, 02:45:21 pm »
I see one person has voted for the 'codpiece (or other device to attract the onlooker's eye to my groin)'. :o ;)

Well, I'm presuming they were joking, but you never know.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #44 on: 10 February, 2021, 05:01:19 pm »
I last wore a tie to a job interview about 15 years ago I think. I don't even own any now.

Although I voted "never", I do wear a bow tie for orchestra concerts as it's part of the dress code (as a player, not part of the audience!).
Pen Pusher

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #45 on: 11 February, 2021, 10:16:21 am »
New Zealand’s male MPs will no longer be required to wear ties in parliament, following a row over the item of clothing that involved the speaker ejecting Māori party co-leader Rawiri Waititi from the chamber for refusing to wear one.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/11/new-zealand-male-mps-no-longer-have-to-wear-ties-after-maori-mp-ejected
They must have seen the poll! (34% occasionally, 32% never)

« Reply #46 on: 16 February, 2021, 09:50:26 am »
For weddings and a funeral.

Not worn one for work sine the 90s. I actually quite like wearing ties, but obviously not enough to wear one regularly...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #47 on: 23 March, 2021, 07:16:16 pm »
For weddings and a funeral.

I saw that film, too.

I used to wear ties daily, and found it convenient to avoid carrying a suit on the bike, as it stood duty for a suit in most occasions. Trousers & white shirt was my standard office attire, the daily tie got dropped a few years back although I still keep one at the office. I used also to have an affectation in my yoof to wear a (proper) bow tie, which I found was particular fun when gurls invited me to demonstrate how to tie it on them.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #48 on: 10 February, 2022, 09:23:18 am »
Use the ties!
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/10/like-most-men-i-now-only-wear-ties-at-funerals-so-why-do-i-have-60-of-them
I found more in a bag at the back of the wardrobe, waiting to be taken somewhere. But where? Who would want them? Charity shops must be sick of the sight of them. What is going to become of them all? The average length of a tie is, I read, 58 inches or just short of 1.5 metres. My collection alone, laid end to end, would stretch for 90 metres. Let’s say there are 30 million males in the UK – including all the tie-wearing schoolboys – and they have, on average, five ties each: that comes to well over 200,000km of ties. A use must be found for them.

And a comment therefrom:
in your attire are you a tie tyer?

ian

« Reply #49 on: 10 February, 2022, 09:44:26 am »
Thinking about it, I don't think I know a single person who wears a tie these days. Certainly, no one aboard my current mothership (or the previous one). Things went downhill when we let women into the workforce.