Author Topic: Pronunciation that makes you cringe  (Read 84135 times)

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
Re: Pronunciation that makes you cringe
« Reply #775 on: February 17, 2021, 09:43:28 am »
Sort of, it's an attempt at Frenchification (original Arcansas, a French transliteration of the Algonquian term for the Quapaw peoples of the area) by dropping the terminal s. There was a long-running tussle over the two pronunciations that resulting the State passing a resolution that would thereafter be officially pronounced -saw and not -sas.

The possessive is a bit prickly, Arkansas' versus Arkansas's. Apparently, the State legislature prefers the latter.
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #776 on: February 17, 2021, 09:56:14 am »
I vaguely recall reading that before they passed that resolution, they used to have one senator for ar-kansas and one for arkan-saw, to keep both sides happy. Or something like that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
« Reply #777 on: February 17, 2021, 10:00:57 am »
There were two senators with alternate resolutions. I had to google the full story. I'm liking that they once called themselves Arkansawyers and more so that there was an Eclectic Society of Little Rock.

Quote from: the internet says
The region was organized as the Territory of Arkansaw on July 4, 1819, but the territory was admitted to the United States as the state of Arkansas on June 15, 1836. The name was historically pronounced /ˈɑːrkənsɔː/, /ɑːrˈkænzəs/, and several other variants. The residents of Arkansas have called themselves either "Arkansans" or "Arkansawyers". In 1881, the Arkansas General Assembly passed the following concurrent resolution, now Arkansas Code 1 April 105:[13]

Whereas, confusion of practice has arisen in the pronunciation of the name of our state and it is deemed important that the true pronunciation should be determined for use in oral official proceedings.

And, whereas, the matter has been thoroughly investigated by the State Historical Society and the Eclectic Society of Little Rock, which have agreed upon the correct pronunciation as derived from history, and the early usage of the American immigrants.

Be it therefore resolved by both houses of the General Assembly, that the only true pronunciation of the name of the state, in the opinion of this body, is that received by the French from the native Indians and committed to writing in the French word representing the sound. It should be pronounced in three (3) syllables, with the final "s" silent, the "a" in each syllable with the Italian sound, and the accent on the first and last syllables. The pronunciation with the accent on the second syllable with the sound of "a" in "man" and the sounding of the terminal "s" is discouraged by Arkansans.

Despite this, the state's name is still frequently mispronounced, especially by non-Americans; in fact, it is spelled in Cyrillic with the ar-KAN-zəs pronunciation.

Citizens of the state of Kansas often pronounce the Arkansas River as /ɑːrˈkænzəs/, in a manner similar to the common pronunciation of the name of their state.
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #778 on: February 17, 2021, 11:02:30 am »
Arkansawyer sounds like someone engaged to prepare timber for Noah.
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

« Reply #779 on: February 20, 2021, 06:49:07 am »
some of us over here cringe whenever Arkansaw or Arkansass is heard

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #780 on: February 20, 2021, 12:28:23 pm »
I see the latest of Brenda's great-grandchildren is to be named August.

Will this be pronounced like the eighth month, AwGUST or Ow-goost?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #781 on: February 20, 2021, 01:32:58 pm »
Well, the latter is the, ahem, German pronunciation :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #782 on: February 20, 2021, 01:35:52 pm »
Er ist nach Albert heißt, nicht wahr?

T42

• *** fool in a hurry
« Reply #783 on: February 20, 2021, 01:40:45 pm »
Wie bitte?
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #784 on: February 20, 2021, 01:55:40 pm »
August Philip Hawke Brooksbank.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56137887

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #785 on: February 20, 2021, 02:59:21 pm »
I lose track of these royals (that's a lie, the truth is I do not try to keep up) but this Princess Eugenie bears a facial resemblance to That Emily Chappell. Bet she doesn't write such good books though.
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #786 on: February 20, 2021, 03:20:05 pm »
I think she's written kids' books.

She has been fitted with an internal titanium back straightener.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

« Reply #788 on: March 24, 2021, 12:34:10 pm »
I just heard "behemoth" on a podcast with the "moth" like the annoying flying insect.

Yeah, spelling ronunciation.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #789 on: March 24, 2021, 05:05:53 pm »
That’s how I would pronounce it though - bee her moth.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #790 on: April 01, 2021, 05:51:30 pm »
Someone on C4 News reporting from Furryboottoon saying the city is famous for 'oil and granight'.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #791 on: April 01, 2021, 06:04:44 pm »
And so it is. It's where everyone's Gran goes for night out.