Author Topic: Bar tape  (Read 5687 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Bar tape
« on: 23 May, 2017, 06:26:14 pm »

I'm gonna need some bar tape on my new handle bars. A cursory look at wiggle lists 50 different products under the bar tape section. Other than the colour, what is the actual difference between them all? What does a €20 bar tape not do that a €40 does?

How on earth do you choose between them all?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Bar tape
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2017, 06:43:03 pm »
This won't help you, but I love wrapping bars. I like the silicone ones like Widget, ODI and Lizard Skins. Even better if they have a thin 'margin' along the edge as it helps provide a guide to get them look really neat. They last for ever.

You can go cheap and often and get 'cork-alike ' which is really easy to get neat. It wears quickly and I don't like it when wet.

Over time I find about £20 gets me where I want to be.

Re: Bar tape
« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2017, 07:11:15 pm »
I know it seems overly expensive, but the Lizard Skins tape is the best I have used. It will stretch a little without tearing, which makes it easier to wrap it neatly. It is cushioning and it has a slightly rubbery feel that makes it easy to grip. If it has a flaw, apart from price, it is that after a couple of years of my use the outer skin starts to rub off where you grip it most.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2017, 08:08:07 pm »
I buy Benotto tape or equivalent to match the frame.  I found some beautiful pale turquoise "Shiny Tape" for the Holdsworth project.  I don't like padded bars, or tape that holds dirt.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2017, 08:16:50 pm »
lizard skins is excellent as said above, for cork-alike tape spesh bar phat is v.good (i think it only comes in black)

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2017, 08:39:22 pm »
Excuse me if I'm asking a stupid question, but which is the 'right' way to apply bar tape? Do you start at the from the centre by the stem and wind outwards or from the open end of the bars and wind inwards? And does it matter if you wind towards the bike (or saddle) or away from the bike?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2017, 08:45:53 pm »
Fizik Superlight (2mm thick) for me for years now. It has a classic look, very durable, and stays clean/cleans up (even the white). I came out of the bike shop recently with a slightly different "Microtex" variety of the same tape - kind of a velvety soft touch feel to it. I was a bit sceptical about it but it went on well and feels good. I've tried loads of others but I always come back to the basic 2mm Fizik:

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2017, 09:43:10 pm »
Excuse me if I'm asking a stupid question, but which is the 'right' way to apply bar tape? Do you start at the from the centre by the stem and wind outwards or from the open end of the bars and wind inwards? And does it matter if you wind towards the bike (or saddle) or away from the bike?

I don't know whether it matters but I start at the end of the bar and work up towards the centre. As I look down, the lines made by the wrap angle diagonally outwards/forwards (if that makes sense). And if you want to keep the cushioning properties don't stretch it to the max. Finish with insulation tape cos the stuff that comes with bar tape is never any good.

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2017, 10:08:37 pm »

Critical to start at the end on the bars and work towards the stem, otherwise when you move your hands across the bars (for example going from the tops to hoods) you will going against the flow and overlap and it will end in sorrow.  Also, easier to overlap at bar ends and tape off near stem.

See Park Tools show you how to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MzIiv7pewE

or a shorter version for Lizard Skins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxFdOnaRGVM

« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2017, 06:36:47 am »
Cinelli gel cork tape for me. Comfortable, hard wearing and easy to wrap (and crucially unwrap!).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 24 May, 2017, 09:18:53 am »

Critical to start at the end on the bars and work towards the stem, otherwise when you move your hands across the bars (for example going from the tops to hoods) you will going against the flow and overlap and it will end in sorrow.  Also, easier to overlap at bar ends and tape off near stem.

See Park Tools show you how to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MzIiv7pewE

or a shorter version for Lizard Skins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxFdOnaRGVM
While I agree (because I've been told and read in various places!) that you should start at the bar ends and work towards the stem, I can't see what it's got to do with moving your hands. Whichever way you wrap, there's going to be one direction which is against the wrap and one with.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2017, 09:22:35 am »
The bar tape behind the brake levers gets rolled edges from the weight on your hands if the tape is applied from top to bottom. Not so if the other way.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2017, 09:24:23 am »
I do like the Lizard Skins but have found it wears a bit quicker than some.  Fizik also very nice but lately I've got on very well with the PRO tape that costs around a tenner and often seems to be stocked in LBSs, soft and wears well but not so good when you need to dewrap.  I've always done it from the ends to the centre, I no longer try and stuff part of it inside the bar plug at the start as that never seems to go well, just wrap it tight and it stays in place by itself.

« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2017, 10:29:02 am »
I now use the bar plugs that have a screw and an expander, a bit like a rawlplug. The push-in sort just get lost.

« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2017, 11:28:17 am »
While I agree (because I've been told and read in various places!) that you should start at the bar ends and work towards the stem, I can't see what it's got to do with moving your hands. Whichever way you wrap, there's going to be one direction which is against the wrap and one with.

The method that Park Tool suggest reverses the rotation of the tape as you transition from the drops to the tops. This means that the twisting forces of your hands are tightening the tape rather than unwinding it.

« Reply #15 on: 24 May, 2017, 11:50:56 am »
I dunno about moving your hands, but think about how the layers overlap. If you start at the middle and wrap to the outside, then the exposed edge of tape is towards the inside of the bars. As your hands press on the bars, particularly when pressing on the outer curve of the tops, you will 'uncurl' this edge.
Once, just once, I made the mistake of wrapping some bars this way. I thought it would give more grip. It was terrible.
Start at the bar ends and work to the inside.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 24 May, 2017, 01:01:48 pm »

My bike is likely to spend a lot of time out in the rain either parked up, or being ridden. Is there any bar tape I should avoid for this use case?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #17 on: 24 May, 2017, 01:07:43 pm »

My bike is likely to spend a lot of time out in the rain either parked up, or being ridden. Is there any bar tape I should avoid for this use case?

J

Leather.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 24 May, 2017, 01:56:36 pm »

The method that Park Tool suggest reverses the rotation of the tape as you transition from the drops to the tops. This means that the twisting forces of your hands are tightening the tape rather than unwinding it.
Join the two ends and make a bar tape mobius strip?

I'm another fan of the Fizik stuff mentioned by a few other people. IIRC mine is actually 3mm, so presumably even more ultra-hyper-super luxo than the 2mm! But I also like the "denim" cloth tape Spec have used on my Sequoia. I'm not sure if is actually cotton, though it does feel similar. If it is, well, I'll see how it holds up in a year or so.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #19 on: 24 May, 2017, 02:04:21 pm »
In places I am not bothered about I use Deda "cork" tape http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/deda-cork-ribbon-handlebar-tape/#pid=1360  I tried leather tape about 5 years ago and found it was harsh when wet and gave me blisters.  As befits advancing years, I have returned to my youth and prefer cloth tape http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BTVXTRES/velox-tressostar-cloth-bar-tape  http://hubjub.co.uk/newbaums-cotton-bar-tape-123-p.asp  two layers give me all the comfort I need.

« Reply #20 on: 24 May, 2017, 03:44:22 pm »
Join the two ends and make a bar tape mobius strip?

No, the idea is to reverse the direction of the wrapping between the tops and the drops. Taking the right bar for example, you want to be wrapping clockwise around the bar (if you were sitting on the bike), this way when you're on the drops your hands will be tightening the tape, not unravelling it. The opposite effect happens once you get onto the tops, your hands will naturally twist towards the back of the bike and so you want the tape to also tighten in this direction too. This necessitates a reversal of winding direction, which you do as you tape around the clamp.

« Reply #21 on: 24 May, 2017, 11:43:56 pm »
Anyone know why there seem to be fewer multi-coloured designs around these days? I've always liked speckled and striped patterns, but most tape now seems boringly monochrome.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #22 on: 25 May, 2017, 12:36:46 am »
Fashion DAAHLINGGGG . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 25 May, 2017, 12:39:11 am »
Anyone know why there seem to be fewer multi-coloured designs around these days? I've always liked speckled and striped patterns, but most tape now seems boringly monochrome.

It's not the 1990s any more?

« Reply #24 on: 25 May, 2017, 07:45:07 am »
I didn't realise we'd got as far as the 1990s :-[