Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 230119 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1675 on: 15 April, 2024, 01:33:05 pm »
Friday saw Hedgehog, with Phil depping on Bass. Saturday saw Afterlife. Both a lot of fun, not necessarily seamless, slick, professional performances. Both at the Cow and Telescope. Barmaid knows what I want to drink. Barmaid's son knows what I want to drink. They serve me when other people are waiting. But they do it in a way that it doesn't cause offence!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1676 on: 22 April, 2024, 10:48:29 pm »
Chelsea Wolfe, last night in London. Absolutely sublime gig. If you can get to one of the October tour dates, do.

« Reply #1677 on: 23 April, 2024, 03:31:05 pm »
Chelsea Wolfe, last night in London. Absolutely sublime gig. If you can get to one of the October tour dates, do.
Good to hear as I'm already booked! I nearly went to that gig, but this week is pretty busy already.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1678 on: 23 April, 2024, 10:52:59 pm »
Good to hear as I'm already booked! I nearly went to that gig, but this week is pretty busy already.

Yup, I haven't got one for the tour because they're all midweek & I'd need to get a day off. But I might try and get one sorted for Brighton…

« Reply #1679 on: 23 April, 2024, 10:57:14 pm »
Might see you there then!

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1680 on: 24 April, 2024, 10:34:32 pm »
Might see you there then!

Sadly, no…leave request turned down.

« Reply #1681 on: 26 April, 2024, 09:44:12 pm »
Colin Stetson at the Barbican. He played four solo pieces, then performed the soundtrack from Hereditary with the London Contemporary Orchestra. Which featured an upside down bicycle

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1682 on: 28 April, 2024, 06:38:33 pm »
Orbital at the Troxy in London last night. The green & brown albums in full, plus a few other tracks to finish. Smashing (unlike the weather on the journey to and fro).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1683 on: 29 April, 2024, 12:24:01 am »
I'm not sure it counts as a gig, but it was a show...

It is simpler than it looks.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1684 on: Yesterday at 07:54:04 pm »
The Men They Couldn't Hang at the Wentworth Rooms in Pompey.  It's their 40 years tour. I've seen them twice before, once at the GLC Jobs for a Change free festival in Battersea Park in 1985 and last year somewhere under the Westway. Full of energy, emotion and feeling. (Them, not me). Listening to Bobby Valentino do backing vocals was like listening to a grizzly bear sing. My Young Lady pointed out that all the men in the audience were of a certain age. I think she meant old, like me.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1685 on: Yesterday at 09:19:47 pm »
Kira Mac at the 1865, Southampton.  Good show.  Band to follow.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1686 on: Yesterday at 10:15:35 pm »
Watching Gruff Rhys. He likes the stage very dark. Limited photo opportunities, but we are really here to see Jarvis Cocker do a dj set. It’s going to be a late one.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1687 on: Yesterday at 11:05:12 pm »
Fat White Family at Rough Trade East last week. Bloody brilliant. Just an incredible live band.

They did a live session for Marc Riley on Monday - available on iplayer and well worth a listen:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001yj64

They even had a support act - an avant garde trio called Secluded Bronte. Totally bonkers, utterly wonderful. I don't know where to begin describing them so just watch this video on youtube: https://youtu.be/-nzd5m7ZAvA?si=d0wXTV_TOcJOEh7T

Jane Weaver on Thursday just gone at Scala. Also superb. Good mix of stuff from her excellent new album and old favourites. Again, a really tight band and she seemed to be on top form, really into it. Support were Adwaith and Halo Maud, both also very good. Jane Weaver was also in session for Riley & Coe recently, still available here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001xwfz

Seeing Fat White Family again in June at the Troxy. That is going to be truly awesome.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1688 on: Yesterday at 11:22:40 pm »
Scott Bradley's Postmodern Jukebox, in Bexhill. Very good singing and playing, and tapdancing channeling Super Mario was entertainingly odd. One for the cover versions thread. There would have been more dancing, but that was being frowned on in the front rows of the balcony.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1689 on: Today at 12:15:35 am »
but that was being frowned on in the front rows of the balcony.

One of the conditions of our licence is no standing in the balcony. So definitely no dancing!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1690 on: Today at 01:22:34 am »
Two this week.

Tonight (well, technically last night now) I last-minute-random-picked The Sounds of The Sirens at the NCEM. Joint venture by the Crescent and the Black Swan Folk club. Ticket bought about 6:50, faffed a bit, nipped out on my bike about 20 past 7 and got there as the support (Nick Parker, google tells me, who I liked and who made me laugh) was just getting going. Acoustics in the NCEM are blinking glorious, and thoroughly suited lovely vocal harmonies and the various combinations of guitars, mandolin and piano that we were treated to by the headlining pair. Excellent banter too, and a before 10pm finish with a 5 minute bike ride home - just the ticket for a random pick to cheer me up that I was being sensible by not going up to Edinburgh for the second hometown gig on the Willson Williams tour.

The other one was the *first* hometown gig on the Willson Williams tour in Newcastle - Gosforth Civic on Thursday. Silly train-assisted gigging adventure on a school night - not sensible but worth it. They are utterly and completely glorious - I love both separately, and together they are chaoticallly splendid. I love the way that they cancel out each other's completely unwarranted imposter syndromes, and find it mildly astonishing that they actually managed to record an album together between all the bloody laughing.

I got recognised as CrinklyLion, at the merch desk, by another member of their Patreon/lockdown livestream gangs (I think it was the person we sometimes refer to as not 'the' but OUR Linda Thomson) and then a chap who looked very vaguely familiar looked at me, slightly perplexed and said 'Kath?'. Which greatly confused me initially since we were queuing at Kath Williams' merch desk... and there's only been a very limited bit of my life when *anyone* called me Kath. Kathryn or Kat, yes, Kathy absolutely never, but Kath... that was a few people in the Lancaster years...

"It is Kath, isn't it? From Lancaster?"
"You do look sort of... familiar?" (I'm atrocious at recognising people and seeing resemblances - have always sucked at the 'match the adult to their childhood photo' game)
"I'm Scott. Friend of Merry and Mike"
"erm..." (trying to work out which of my five years and three separate cohorts as an undergraduate there that would be)
Then, to the great entertainment of several people nearby in the merch queue (including our Linda Thomson) he said:
"You were Wank Woman"
before hastily adding
"...in that play with Merry"

Which is how Scott and I ended up explaining *that* moniker to Kathryn Williams and Withered Hand Dan as I paid for my vinyl. Deano meanwhile, seemed to be quietly pissing himself about it having heard before (but maybe not totally believed before?) the story about how for one tenth of my degree I spent six weeks reading a truly mind-altering volume* of Mills and Boon novels as research for a devised play about romantic fiction that me and a random American JYA student (The Merrydown-drinking Meredith) wrote and performed (despite both of us being lighting techs rather than Actors really, but there were no actors left by the time us billy-no-mates were trying to find a group to work with so we made the best of it) as a two-hander which our feminist theatre tutor, Gerry, fucking *loved* and gave us very-nearly-firsts for. I guess one of the characters I played in it was really *quite* memorable...

Turns out Scott (a singer-songwriter among other things these days and also on a train-assisted Silly Gigging Adventure far from home) is a big 'ol WW fan too and was recently an attendee on a songwriting workshop Willson Williams were both tutoring on so can indeed be spotted at about three seconds in and then a few times after in their video for "Weekend",  one of the album tracks, which they filmed at said songwriting retreat -
https://youtu.be/44sv-ZPnLuw?si=PqNLgui1dUl0ehfk

Anyway, Willson Williams. They are amazing, and you should go and see them if you can.

*no joke. Merry scored a couple of thousand of 'em from a closing down bookshop in, iirc, Morecambe. Covered half the set with them, put one on every seat in the auditorium as an audience gift, with the programme inside, and between the two of us actually read about 900 of 'em of which I accounted for about 600.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1691 on: Today at 01:45:34 pm »
So, a lively night last night.

First up, haunting mystical Cerys Hafana

Then Graham Reynolds, completely bonkers film score creator and more, here bashing a piano stool onto a cymbal on a large drum...

Then SFA Gruff Rhys

and finally a DJ set from Jarvis Cocker.

All conducted under a vary dark light...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1692 on: Today at 02:10:41 pm »
Last night. I went to a gig. The main band was Whom by Fire, a member of Whom sings in our choir. I sat next to, and chatted with, the Archbishop of York's mother, as you do. It felt quite odd, going to a gig in a church with a "bring your own booze" advisory, so I quaffed 2 pints of Fuller's 1845, and a pint of Broadside. That's more than enough strong ale for one night.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.