Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463467 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #300 on: 05 May, 2015, 01:41:55 pm »
Interesting that they don't list driving.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #301 on: 05 May, 2015, 02:06:02 pm »
True and people drive everywhere here.
It's about 100 metres to the surgery from here and we pass two branches of the same minor road, enclosing a bus stop island, on the way.

Partner apologised for nearly killing me in the traffic.

« Reply #302 on: 07 May, 2015, 09:11:34 am »
When a kid, micropsia (aka Alice in Wonderland syndrome) is almost fun.

Getting it when you are an adult, with a job to get to, etc, is just a complete pain and utter pain in the arse.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #303 on: 07 May, 2015, 11:09:46 am »
I used to have Alice in Wonderland Syndrome when very tired, less frequently these days.

« Reply #304 on: 07 May, 2015, 11:54:18 am »
Did you get it when you were an adult?

As a kid, it just came and went with no side-effects.

Now I get thumping headaches, like a bad hangover.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #305 on: 07 May, 2015, 11:56:33 am »
I get it still, when tired. I didn't know there was a name for it.

In other news, signed off work with my back. How people survive in this kind of pain for years is beyond me.

« Reply #306 on: 07 May, 2015, 11:59:35 am »
Seems mine are a side-effect of migraines and and sign that my brain is not getting blood properly, or something.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #307 on: 07 May, 2015, 03:12:12 pm »
I can't recall having it for several years. It would usually happen when e.g. reading a book late at night. Everything would be the wrong size; the words on the page, the letters in the words; the room I was in. My tongue.

I think mental tiredness rather than physical fatigue would be a trigger for me. I've also had ocular migraines and occasional full blown migraines.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #308 on: 09 May, 2015, 05:09:09 pm »
Today is the first Saturday in months I've had the motivation to go swimming. Yay for sertraline! I even did a couple of sprints.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #309 on: 10 May, 2015, 12:31:56 pm »
Seems mine are a side-effect of migraines and and sign that my brain is not getting blood properly, or something.
Experimentation has shown that I can't drink even on small glass of red anymore. :(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #310 on: 11 May, 2015, 08:18:50 am »
Normally I do a set of exercises (with therabands) 3 times a week. If I neglect to do this, I get serious pain and instability.

This last week I've neglected them, because middle of the week I made 3 car trips loading up sacks of rubble, carrying them through the garage. Over the weekend I loaded and barrowed about 3 ton of building rubble from a house 100m away, including lumps that were 50kg or so apiece.

My back is fine. Better than fine in fact, it feels more limber and less likely to collapse than it has in ages.

I'm starting to think I should pick up a barbell and some weights and just do some basic deadlifts rather than mess with the therabands.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #311 on: 13 May, 2015, 03:12:59 pm »
And still fine - improving by the day.

A major hit (well, ok, over a £100 per month) to our income means barbells are out of the question. I'll make do with a bag of sand.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #312 on: 16 May, 2015, 06:35:28 pm »
I bought a blood pressure machine from ebay, which arrived in the post today.
It cost less than £20.

My upper arm is just 2cm below 'Max' on the standard 'medium' cuff.

Methinks that cuff would be too small for over half the UK population as I'm a gurl with 'stick-like' arms.

(My blood pressure is fine, BTW. It was high at my 'health check' last week but 120/60 seems fine to me!)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #313 on: 18 May, 2015, 01:03:02 pm »
Eight weeks into the sertraline, and I'm definitely feeling the benefits. I'm cooking from scratch a few nights a week instead of living on pizza and bread, and I feel like I'm walking instead of trudging. I'm going back to see the GP on Friday.

« Reply #314 on: 18 May, 2015, 02:14:38 pm »
Good to hear it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #315 on: 18 May, 2015, 02:54:56 pm »
Good to hear, EG!

In other news, I wish I could shake this damned cold. Blood count shows a normal amount of white blood cells, my chest is clear but I can't stop coughing and sneezing!

Colds, normally, last a day or two with me, this one has been visiting for the last week and a half! I blame the effects of the Methatrexate.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #316 on: 18 May, 2015, 03:45:54 pm »
Eight weeks into the sertraline, and I'm definitely feeling the benefits. I'm cooking from scratch a few nights a week instead of living on pizza and bread, and I feel like I'm walking instead of trudging. I'm going back to see the GP on Friday.

Just been catching up on this thread, sertraline is doing me wonders as well. I left it for far too long before going to the doctor though.

I had the bug-eyes for a few days, although I think that was the worst of the starting side-effects.

I had to increase dose after the first month, as although my mood had improved I was still very unmotivated. I now have to remember to take the pills in the morning, as I'm feeling normal again.

I'm glad it's working for you.

Chris S

« Reply #317 on: 18 May, 2015, 09:07:56 pm »
Bowel cancer screening. Not only do you get a Special Free Gift in the post for "before", you get a souvenir photo to take away after, too.  :thumbsup:.

Top value, NHS!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #318 on: 18 May, 2015, 09:29:21 pm »

Just been catching up on this thread, sertraline is doing me wonders as well. I left it for far too long before going to the doctor though.

I had the bug-eyes for a few days, although I think that was the worst of the starting side-effects.

I had to increase dose after the first month, as although my mood had improved I was still very unmotivated. I now have to remember to take the pills in the morning, as I'm feeling normal again.

I'm glad it's working for you.
Yeah, my bug-eyes were hilarious to see.  My GP has warned me 3 times not to stop taking the pills just because I feel better because I'll almost certainly relapse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #319 on: 18 May, 2015, 10:35:30 pm »
Bowel cancer screening. Not only do you get a Special Free Gift in the post for "before", you get a souvenir photo to take away after, too.  :thumbsup:.

Top value, NHS!

Great fun!

I hadda polyp so had to go back for a colonoscopy; even more fun...
...and more pictures.

Still much better than consequences of polyp turning nasty!

Chris S

« Reply #320 on: 18 May, 2015, 10:42:19 pm »

Top value, NHS!

Great fun!

I hadda polyp so had to go back for a colonoscopy; even more fun...
...and more pictures.

Still much better than consequences of polyp turning nasty!

Oh Wow! I know one of the "2 out of 300 will have polyps"!! Can I have your autograph?

I was surprised quite how many people there were watching the show - all girls, natch - but top work to the team for attempting to keep me distracted with small-talk. It nearly worked! Didn't need the gas & air though  :smug:.

Me: "So, find anything interesting?"
Doc: "Nope. Just a beautiful bowel."

Riiiight....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #321 on: 18 May, 2015, 10:45:42 pm »
Didn't have the Entonox for the siggy but did have it (but no other painkillers or sedatives) for the colonoscopy.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #322 on: 19 May, 2015, 08:49:32 am »
Me: "So, find anything interesting?"
Doc: "Nope. Just a beautiful bowel."

I think they must teach this kind of thing at medical school.
I was screened for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm -

Me:  May I see the pictures?
Nurse:  Of course. You have very photogenic insides.
Me:  Go on, you say that to all the boys!

« Reply #323 on: 19 May, 2015, 12:27:10 pm »
My wife need a new hip. She saw the GP about 6 weeks ago who got her X-rayed and referred, and this week got her NHS consultant appointment for the end of June. From there it's anyone guess how long it would be to the op - last time she got a cancellation after about a month, but in a hospital an hour away.

Meantime her son (who works in the City, and who is off to Chicago for 2 years in August) said he'd pay for her to go privately.

We saw the consultant last Thursday, and she goes in for her op Friday 29th. 2 weeks and a day, and £12k is all it takes.

This being her second hip replacement, at least she knows that afterwards she's likely to be fully mobile before too long, and good for the next few years.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #324 on: 20 May, 2015, 09:51:59 am »
I had a dental check-up this morning and we talked about the sertraline making me clench my teeth and bite my tongue, so he's making me a bite guard.