Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469573 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #875 on: 11 March, 2016, 11:01:39 am »
I think I've been misdiagnosed.

The consultant I saw fixated on 'vestibular migraines' because I'd complained of dizziness. He ignored the other symptoms. The list here: http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/hemiplegic-migraine-headaches-symptoms-causes-treatments

Propranolol isn't listed as a treatment for hemiplegic migraines. The NHS lists several things here, including butterbur extract/petadolex http://www.nhs.uk/ipgmedia/national/migraine%20action/assets/hemiplegicmigraine.pdf
I wonder about getting butterbur extract from somewhere and just trying it. Don't seem to have much to lose. All studies into its use are positive, yet it isn't prescribed here!

This week I've had 5 major episodes in less than 48hours. I can't go on like this.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #876 on: 13 March, 2016, 10:02:50 pm »
Ever since the cold I had in mid-December, I've had a permanently snotty nose. Steam inhalations haven't helped. So I bought a neti pot and it seems to be doing the trick.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

simonp

« Reply #877 on: 14 March, 2016, 10:38:38 am »
Feeling a bit beaten up after winching myself over some hills on fixed on yesterday's run down to the Quantocks.

Circuit training tonight is a non-starter.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #878 on: 16 March, 2016, 09:08:37 am »
The pain at the back of my right thigh appears to be a torn muscle, incurred while trying to line up bolt-holes in the arm & back of a POCS* armchair the other day.  Found a lump this morning.  It gives me a dull jab with every step and probably wouldn't appreciate pedalling too much.

Comfy chair, though.

*Piece Of Chinese Sh*t.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #879 on: 20 March, 2016, 05:49:26 pm »
Ever since the cold I had in mid-December, I've had a permanently snotty nose. Steam inhalations haven't helped. So I bought a neti pot and it seems to be doing the trick.

I'm glad it's working for you but the thought of doing that gives me the squicks.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #880 on: 20 March, 2016, 09:21:47 pm »
I'm finding it surprisingly unsquicky. As long as you keep breathing through your mouth while you do it, there's no drowning.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #881 on: 20 March, 2016, 09:29:04 pm »
I think having drugs dropped up my nostrils (I was upside down) when I was a child probably doesn't help my squicks.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #882 on: 21 March, 2016, 05:37:33 pm »
So, I have a bad back. Sufficiently bad that I go the quack's this morning. (I think I did the initial damage a fortnight ago, but I was working away last week.)

I have serious1 painkillers.
I have serious anti-inflammatories.

But...

No running, no alcohol and....

no cycling:-\ :( >:( :-[

1: for certain values of serious. I'm sure he could have given me stuff which would let me see unicorns and float a few inches off the floor if he'd really wanted to.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #883 on: 29 March, 2016, 02:35:18 pm »
GN Physio says I'm making really excellent progress with my arm/wrist, doing everything right
BN He says a year from the time of the accident to fully recover and I'm unlikely to get back full range of movement

BN Fri night I had a seizure in my sleep. Allegedly (I don't remember). Second time in last 6 months, worse than previous one.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #884 on: 29 March, 2016, 02:49:11 pm »
Glad arm is going well even if that won't mean full recovery.  Bugger re second seizure in your sleep, that does not sound good at all.  Hoping the neurobods have some ideas!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #885 on: 31 March, 2016, 10:25:19 am »
Saw the consultant hand surgeon today about the lump on my thumb. She doesn't know what it is, has referred me for an ultrasound with the words "bizarre lump" on the referral, and thanked me for coming in with something moderately interesting.
Ultrasound today. Radiologist no more certain than the hand surgeon but thinks possibly a displaced sesamoid. So I have to go back to hand clinic.

« Reply #886 on: 31 March, 2016, 09:19:49 pm »
Displaced sesamoids! I had those in my feet. Well, I still have one of them. One was removed when I was 12. The other then stopped hurting.

My current ailment is a very, very sore arse. My sacroiliac joint, to be precise, at the bottom of my spine. It's been throbbing away since 3pm and I can't sit down. I wonder if it's related to my recent nasty flu-lurgy.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #887 on: 01 April, 2016, 03:18:47 pm »
Sore arse? Oh! Snap! Although I know exactly what the cause is in my case. Two neat, thumb sized friction burns either side of the coccyx. First I knew of them was as I lowered myself into a nice hot bath after a tough volleyball session.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #888 on: 02 April, 2016, 05:59:56 pm »
Friction burns on your arse from volleyball :o
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #889 on: 02 April, 2016, 06:07:16 pm »
My left lower leg's buzzing.  Feels sort of like my foot's resting on something that's vibrating with a 1-second-on-1-second-off cadence, but it's coming from inside the leg (I can't localise it more than "somewhere between my calf and my toes") Muscle tension and position have no effect.  Moving around masks the sensation.  Doesn't feel like a random muscle twitch, the frequency's much higher, and no, it's not in time with my heartbeat.

It's done this a few times now, for a couple of hours after I've ridden a bike.  Odd.

???

« Reply #890 on: 02 April, 2016, 08:24:07 pm »
Sciatica?
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #891 on: 02 April, 2016, 08:37:42 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking it was probably neurological.  It's stopped now, of course.  Weirdly, it's happening on both recumbent and uprwrong.  I'll probably continue ignoring it until it stops and I forget, or the symptoms become more serious.  In the event that I end up getting diagnosed with some horrendous leg disease, I'll be able to search for these posts...

« Reply #892 on: 02 April, 2016, 09:10:42 pm »
I've pulled a muscle in my neck  trying to turn my head round too far to investigate a spot on my back.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #893 on: 03 April, 2016, 08:55:40 am »
BN Fri night I had a seizure in my sleep. Allegedly (I don't remember). Second time in last 6 months, worse than previous one.

Bugger. But how do they know - blood test?

« Reply #894 on: 03 April, 2016, 08:22:08 pm »

I had a witness, both times. Justv started on topiramate.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

« Reply #895 on: 03 April, 2016, 10:05:01 pm »

I had a witness, both times. Justv started on topiramate.

Hope it works for you, and you can find a drug to target the specific seizures.  in our case with a very generalised seizure activity, it's been hard to find a drug that works.

ElyDave

« Reply #896 on: 03 April, 2016, 10:10:57 pm »
My new recumbent will be along in due course, but in the meantime and on the turbo, I've been having a lot of pain in my thumbs, and a tennis or golfers elbow type pain in my forearms up towards the elbow,mostly right

Any suggestions?

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #897 on: 03 April, 2016, 10:24:17 pm »
My new recumbent will be along in due course, but in the meantime and on the turbo, I've been having a lot of pain in my thumbs, and a tennis or golfers elbow type pain in my forearms up towards the elbow,mostly right

Any suggestions?
Ulnar nerve?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #898 on: 04 April, 2016, 08:23:11 am »

Any suggestions?
Been wielding a screwdriver a lot lately?

The general recommendation is rest.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #899 on: 04 April, 2016, 08:56:08 am »
@ElyDave: Gout.

My own reason for coming in here: it looks like our club prez has come up in the heart attack sweepstake. Intense pain behind the sternum and loss of energy.  Still ambulant and articulate but on the fast track to the cardio dept. OK, I'm a client there already, but I had to be diabetic for 30 years to manage it; he did it all on his own. Well, his wife helped.

Meantime I'm off to the gastropod tomorrow to have a tube shoved down my throat. 3rd time in 9 years: first two I elected to stay awake, this time they're going to put me out. Haven't had a general since I was 6. That time I awoke spitting blood; this time probably not.

What a wunnerful year this is.