Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 468664 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #975 on: 18 May, 2016, 06:40:57 pm »
Well it's not my hay fever. Looks like I've caught the office cold. *grumbles in a nasal fashion*
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #976 on: 19 May, 2016, 12:12:54 am »
There is an accidental fortuitous silver lining to me scaring the pants off myself with the impressive trip-up-over-thin-air-and-nothingness and upbuggering of my "good" ankle a couple of weeks back.  The lovely nurse practitioner in A&E who let me know that there was no apparent fracture on the x-rays (although, because I was wheeled to cubicles and x-ray by one shift but out of x-ray and back to cubicles by the next due to the precise time that my 4 hour wait in chairs ended, she did go back to take a second look and get a second opinion when she saw the ankle itself in person, so to speak, for the first time!) said she thought she should make a physio referral.  Lo and behold, a letter arrived, and an appointment for barely 2 weeks post injury was today.  At said appointment I confessed to the very pleasant Karl that I felt like a bit of a fraud because after 4 or 5 days of RICE the injured ankle was back to not far off the normal day-to-day level of mild creaky decrepitude.  Although the 'bad' one has been dreadful, as has the knee and the hip on that side.

So now I'm getting a 6 week attendance at their gym-clinic-for-hopalongs for the injured 'good' ankle with a message writ large in the notes that the not-injured 'bad' one is significantly more movement-restricted and miles weaker and less stable, so work on that one too.  Last time I sought medical advice for said 'bad' ankle (best part of 8 years ago, I reckon) I was basically told to see if it improved when I stopped breastfeeding and to lose many stones.

That's two medical practitioners in a row who haven't just said "it's cos you're fat, piss off and lose weight".  That's a record breaking run!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #977 on: 19 May, 2016, 12:52:33 pm »
Anecdotally, there seems to be a growing awareness amongst the medical profession that pissing off and losing weight is significantly easier if your mobility isn't afflicted.  Long may it continue.

Chris S

« Reply #978 on: 19 May, 2016, 01:06:45 pm »
Anecdotally, there seems to be a growing awareness amongst the medical profession that pissing off and losing weight is significantly easier if your mobility isn't afflicted.  Long may it continue.

Rather annoyingly, body composition is mostly determined by kitchen-based choices, not gym-based. Proof once again, there is no god.  >:(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #979 on: 19 May, 2016, 01:21:20 pm »

Rather annoyingly, body composition is mostly determined by kitchen-based choices, not gym-based. Proof once again, there is no god.  >:(

Disability has a distinct advantage here.
It's usually too much effort for me to get food out of the cupboards and fridge. I can do these things all buy myself but mostly ICnBA.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #980 on: 19 May, 2016, 01:24:35 pm »
Clearly the worst case is where you have enough mobility to get to the pies without trouble, but going out and doing something more interesting than sitting around eating them is an epic undertaking.

(Chris is of course right.  I only lose weight through cycling because exercise is an appetite-suppressant, and you're not going to achieve anything with that by cycling for transport.)

« Reply #981 on: 19 May, 2016, 01:28:31 pm »

There is probably a hierarchy to this:

Genes > eating habits > exercise

I take after my mum's side of the family and they were thinnish. I'm never going to be a huge fat person. I'll get one of those silly-looking skinny old-man-pot-bellies. That's just genes. My daughter takes after her mum - she's always going to be wide in the hips and will put on weight easily, as will her partner. My son is like me and weight melts off him.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #982 on: 19 May, 2016, 01:50:59 pm »
Genes need to be expressed though, so some genetic predispositions can be avoided or reduced I think.

I'm pretty sure I'm genetically disposed toward hypertension (partly due to A1ATD ) - my Dad died at 67 of a hemorrhagic stroke, and both my sisters are hypertensive. If I'm not very careful, I am too - especially during exercise.

But if I lay off the sauce, keep an eye on my diet, and get enough exercise - I can keep it in check. Just. I can also put on fat really quickly - I had no problems at all putting 10Kg on after PBP last year; but equally - it comes off again if I give it the right conditions (I won't say what - LMT might be reading - but you can probably guess).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #983 on: 19 May, 2016, 02:09:25 pm »
Clearly the worst case is where you have enough mobility to get to the pies without trouble, but going out and doing something more interesting than sitting around eating them is an epic undertaking.

(Chris is of course right.  I only lose weight through cycling because exercise is an appetite-suppressant, and you're not going to achieve anything with that by cycling for transport.)

The biscuits are within two feet but in a closed tin and cupboard. ICnBA.
The computer mostly demands free hands, which a TV would not.

Genetically, I am probably on the 'well-nourished' side, but not huge. Fat distribution is mostly 'hip and thigh' with little visceral fat.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #984 on: 19 May, 2016, 03:02:22 pm »
Ultrasound exam & stress ECG tomorrow.  Yay.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #985 on: 19 May, 2016, 03:04:12 pm »
Ultrasound exam & stress ECG tomorrow.  Yay.

I wish you well for that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #986 on: 20 May, 2016, 07:50:15 am »
Thanks, Helly. Top marks to cardiologist for fitting me in within 24 hours of me calling for Holter results (all OK).  Normally there's a month's wait.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #987 on: 20 May, 2016, 12:34:16 pm »
Relieved to hear thing sare normal so far but concerned there are unanswered questions.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #988 on: 20 May, 2016, 03:53:49 pm »
And after the tests they're still normal apart from a 1 mm ST depression that appeared a couple of times at max effort** but went away and didn't come back.  However, the pain was there, so now I'm off to the coronarography shop, date to be announced.

One little thing crossed my mind.  My right shoulder being crocked, I use my lever espresso machine with my left arm.  Haven't used it much lately, though, and it never hurt before.

To be continued.

**not a lot these days - 180W. He used to take me up to 300.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #989 on: 20 May, 2016, 04:46:20 pm »
Chronography next Monday.  Rats. Now I'll have to do my VAT declaration at the weekend.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #990 on: 24 May, 2016, 08:32:46 am »
Aye well, it seems that my long-distance days are done: coronary arteries in a precarious condition.  From now on it'll be beta-blockers, vasodilators, pentacles, invocations, burnt offerings of albino tadpoles and adoration of the God of Constipated Carper-Slippers.  My cycling ambitions now are limited to getting out of this lavatory-bowl of a village without "God" pulling the chain.

Please add any suitable expletives you think fit, I papered the walls with my lot yesterday.

Just as well I bought a banjo.  Might lash out on a mouth-organ too while I still have the breath.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #991 on: 24 May, 2016, 08:34:15 am »
 :(
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #992 on: 24 May, 2016, 08:50:06 am »
sh!7 Sorry to hear that.

calling Kim to the electron-boosting velocipede-mobile
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #993 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:19:11 am »
^^^ Thanks, both.

Maybe a Cancellara Special might be an idea.

« Reply #994 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:45:50 am »
Electron-boosting packs even come in folding versions these days. Bus transport plus electrons can put pretty destinations and cols still in reach.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #995 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:51:12 am »
Any idea if they can be retrofitted?

« Reply #996 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:06:12 am »
Ask AWL, I think he did a retro-fit to one of his machines.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #997 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:27:39 am »
Any idea if they can be retrofitted?

Some can, depending on the bike, this is one system

http://www.vivax-assist.com/en/produkte/technik/nachruesten.html

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #998 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:34:54 am »
Ahah... and funnily enough their dealer in France is where I bought my last bike.

Alas, my seat tubes are all 27.2 and they need 30.9 minimum.

Thanks all the same, I'll have a poke around when I'm feeling better.

« Reply #999 on: 24 May, 2016, 11:02:06 am »
I can imagine at the moment you are feeling just a teensy bit devastated.

There are some stonkingly good hub motor systems around, particularly if you are after assistant voles rather than complete replacement.  From the sounds of things, you will need assistance for cruising and mostly complete replacement for hills. 250W or so then. 
<i>Marmite slave</i>