Author Topic: Frame saver that isn't frame saver  (Read 2267 times)

Frame saver that isn't frame saver
« on: 14 November, 2019, 12:41:42 am »
I am looking for a bit of advice on frame saver like products that aren't specific to bikes. 

I live in Malaysia and am car-free.  My commuter/utility ride is a Marin Nicasio - which has a very comfy steel frame with nice thin tubes.  But it's the rainy season here now, and that means *alot* of rain.  I ride through a tropical monsoon about twice a week these days.  It's also extremely warm and humid when it isn't raining. Needless to say, when I stand the bike on its back wheel to drain it after a soggy ride, it basically has a period. 

Problem is, none of the local shops, or online shops (we don't get Amazon here btw), carry "Frame Saver".  There's a shop up the road that sells classic Colnagos and the guy who runs it even told me "we don't have that (frame saver) here, people don't ride in the rain".  I can import it but it is literally three times the price and takes months to arrive.

So, what can I use instead?  Paraffin oil and best brown paper? 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Frame saver that isn't frame saver
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2019, 12:44:48 am »
Boeshield T-9 works well and is easy to apply. Marine chandlers and aeronautical places often can supply this. It was developed by Boeing.

Oz and NZ use Fishoilene in the same manner as Framesaver.
https://www.mitre10.com.au/killrust-fishoilene-aerosol-300gm
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2019, 08:59:22 am »
Waxoyl might be an option perhaps. Depending on your frame construction it’s important to get into all the nooks and crannies. A particular spot for internal rust seems o be in the chain stays.
Excellent to hear that Colnagos are being treated with due respect :-)

« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2019, 10:17:47 am »
+1 for Waxoyl.

You will need to take the bike apart somewhat depending on the design of your frame to get the stuff into all the tubes.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2019, 01:15:49 pm »
I just give the inside a good spray with GT85, taking care to cover brake pads and rotors with a plastic bag. Seems to be doing the job so far. I expect there is some local equivalent.

Boeshield would be a good pick if you can find it - it's what I use as chain lube, terrific product.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2019, 01:32:06 pm »
...it's the rainy season here now, and that means *alot* of rain.  I ride through a tropical monsoon about twice a week these days. 
Hmm. Currently feeling your pain in Derbyshire.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2019, 02:42:38 pm »
ACF-50 is another one.
Rust never sleeps

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2019, 02:54:54 pm »
Bilt hamber do a product Dynax s50 I use ensis fluid as it contains anti corrosion stuff.  Also look at the wax/grease that the agricultural people use to cover farm machinery when in storage.

« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2019, 11:41:44 pm »
I think I used linseed oil.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #9 on: 15 November, 2019, 02:03:55 am »
Fantastic, after searching for Dynax50 I have found a local brand of "cavity wax" - which is possibly the most unappealing name for anything I have ever heard but which looks like it will do the job. 

Thanks for the help.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 23 November, 2019, 05:34:46 pm »
Dynax S50 is good because it comes in a big aerosol can with a long injection probe.  Made in Essex, so probably not viable to ship it to Malaysia.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.