Author Topic: Hardy Heron  (Read 25438 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Hardy Heron
« on: 21 April, 2008, 12:31:09 pm »
aka Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

Should I wait until Thursday?

Anyone tried it yet?  What do you think?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

Re: Hardy Heron
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:35:14 pm »
It's worth waiting for the official release, just to save doing two consecutive updates (even if the update from the almost-final to final is likely to be quite small)

Generally it's worth updating.  I've done Breezy>Dapper>Edgy>Feisty>Gutsy, and each has been a significant improvement on the last.

bobajobrob

« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:36:23 pm »
I've been using it for about 3 weeks. Everything just works. Since it's so close to the release date you may as well wait, but it shouldn't make much difference either way.

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:40:01 pm »
Does anybody know how quickly updates permeate to kubuntu? Do they get released at the same time as ubuntu proper, or is there a delay? My girlfriend's computer arrives on friday, and I want to install kubuntu on it.  I'd rather use Hardy than Gutsy, if it's available. 

bobajobrob

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:41:24 pm »
I think they're all released at the same time (ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu, etc.).

« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:43:03 pm »
I think they're all released at the same time (ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu, etc.).

Thanks! I'll do another download on Thursday then. 

« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:10:04 pm »
I have a new laptop waiting for Thursday. 
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:15:49 pm »

Thanks! I'll do another download on Thursday then. 

I think that xubuntu lags behind ubuntu for updates, though the new distro release is likely simultaneous  - or near so.  I dunno about kubuntu.  This is why - if you want XFCE - it's better to install Ubuntu and then add the XFCE desktop on afterwards.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:20:46 pm »
What's the easiest way of upgrading?
Pen Pusher

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:21:50 pm »
It will appear as an option on the automatic updates dialogue box, eventually.  You just click it.

« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:22:33 pm »
Or you can type 'apt-get dist-upgrade' at the shell. 

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #11 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:23:39 pm »
To do it manually, edit /etc/apt/sources.list then do a
# apt-get update
Then
# apt-get dist-upgrade
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:29:42 pm »
Been running the beta for 2 or so weeks now and like it a lot. Not much to see on the out side but under the hood I'm sure much have changed.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #13 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:52:37 pm »
The main thing with Hardy Heron is that is an LTS release so I wouldn't expect many cutting edge features rather a nicely polished one.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:56:29 pm »
Good point.

Gutsy Gibbon was a big change, and its release was delayed a bit. Even after release it had more than a few issues.

Heron's likely to be incremental, and polished, as pcolbeck says.

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #15 on: 21 April, 2008, 05:53:01 pm »
Easiest way to upgrade is to just say ok when the updater tells you a new release is available.
Only minor concern I have is Firefox 3beta5 by default... means possible (probable?) breaking of various add-ons? (eg greasemonkey, etc.)   I'll stick with v2 for now until I'm sure about v3.
AndyM

« Reply #16 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:48:41 pm »
Will it be easy, as in pretty much plug and play, to set up wireless internet?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

border-rider

« Reply #17 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:54:50 pm »

Probably :)

It depends on the wireless card.  These days many (most ?) are supported out of the box - plug'n'play - all mine are on 6 machines.  But there are cards that don't have native Linux support.  If you know the machine/card you can google to see if it's been done.

Last time I bought a laptop, I chose a Dell D420 specifically because i knew all the hardware was supported

« Reply #18 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:42:30 pm »
Thanks, I'll give it another go then.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #19 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:19:39 pm »
Easiest way to upgrade is to just say ok when the updater tells you a new release is available.
Only minor concern I have is Firefox 3beta5 by default... means possible (probable?) breaking of various add-ons? (eg greasemonkey, etc.)   I'll stick with v2 for now until I'm sure about v3.

3beta5 is working pretty well for me (admittedly on windows). Sure, many add-ons won't work yet (but greasemonkey does - you may have to turn off compatibility checking though)

bobajobrob

« Reply #20 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:36:39 am »
I have FF 3.0b5 running with adblock plus, flashblock, web developer and javascript debugger addons.

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #21 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:23:57 pm »
thx for the feedback on ffx 3b5.  Will play when I get time.

Most important addons for me are Adblock Plus and Greasemonkey.  Within GM, most of the scripts i have active are ones that I've hacked anyway (eg one to remove the ginormous headers from BBC website, that adblock doesn't get rid of).  So as long as GM works, I can re-hack the GM scripts if need be.
AndyM

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #22 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:52:07 pm »
I want to put it on a bootable usb pendrive.

Anyone got pointers to decent how-to's for hardy heron?

« Reply #23 on: 23 April, 2008, 06:27:36 pm »

Probably :)

It depends on the wireless card.  These days many (most ?) are supported out of the box - plug'n'play - all mine are on 6 machines.  But there are cards that don't have native Linux support.  If you know the machine/card you can google to see if it's been done.

Last time I bought a laptop, I chose a Dell D420 specifically because i knew all the hardware was supported

It seems that most Intel based wireless works out of the box - Dell's own wireless certainly did not work with Gutsy, but could be persuaded to work fine using NDISWrapper.

border-rider

« Reply #24 on: 23 April, 2008, 06:33:27 pm »
Dell's own wireless certainly did not work with Gutsy

Mine does.  I've never bothered with NDiswrapper.