Author Topic: Hardy Heron  (Read 25330 times)

border-rider

Re: Hardy Heron
« Reply #75 on: 27 April, 2008, 12:09:21 pm »
I do have one problem - we have an Acer laptop on which the updater got b0rked.  I always did updates from a terminal (using the GUI locked it up).  Anyway, doing a HH dist-upgrade has screwed it royally - it failed halfway and left it unbootable.  Looks like a complete re-install is needed :(

« Reply #76 on: 27 April, 2008, 12:13:57 pm »
This freeware one always works for me on XP. I blew my Hardy Heron CD with it the other day.

CDBurnerXP

Ta for that.  I've been looking for something like this and this seems to have done the job perfectly.  8)

bobajobrob

« Reply #77 on: 27 April, 2008, 01:22:29 pm »
Muttermutter whyohwhy is it so hard to burn a bootable bloody CD?  >:(

In ubuntu you just right click on the .iso file, choose "burn image" and hit OK :thumbsup:

« Reply #78 on: 28 April, 2008, 06:41:12 pm »
Cor blimey after a few attempts I downloaded and burnt a CD using CDBurnerXP. It confirmed that the CD was OK. I then attempted to use it as a bootable CD with no response. Windows explorer on the CD drive shows nothing :o I was expecting to see a folder with all the files located within that folder.

Any suggestions? not too rude! :-\
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #79 on: 28 April, 2008, 09:19:49 pm »
Did you do

file --> burn disc from ISO file

Then select the Ubuntu iso you downloaded ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

border-rider

« Reply #80 on: 28 April, 2008, 11:12:53 pm »
irritating stuff spotted so far:

Win media stuff is just slightly more hesitant

Wireless is doing some just slightly odd things

USB optical mouse dies if not used for an hour or so.

I suspect these things will be fixed fairly soon.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #81 on: 28 April, 2008, 11:24:36 pm »
One thing that annoys me the most is sharing a folder. I have yet to find it easy, either have to install Samba or start to play with some users and rights to get it working. Just updated 5 pc's at the office and right clicking to share a folder just came out with an error.

This is the error that happened but that fix did nothing.  http://blog.myfenris.net/?p=429

So I searched around and found this and that worked just fine on my 2 machines at home, I hope that this work tomorrow at work for the 5 pc's .
http://mybeni.rootzilla.de/mybeNi/2007/how_to_set_up_nfs_and_how_to_share_files_in_a_local_network_with_ubuntu_linux/ (site is work safe but the  banner ads are NOT !)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #82 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:03:07 am »
Did you do

file --> burn disc from ISO file

Then select the Ubuntu iso you downloaded ?

Yes, I did.

The Programme reports ISO 9660/UDF/Joliet with 0 folders and 0 files. On disk 699.12 MB.
Presumably I have the wrong format? for a boot disk?

bobajobrob

« Reply #83 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:45:21 am »
There is a help page on the ubuntu wiki for burning the ISO images. See here for more information.

« Reply #84 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:45:36 am »
You shouldn't have to do any messing about choosing format etc. An ISO is an image of another CD so basically all the boot information is part of that image you don't have to add it separately. Have you tried a different brand of writeable CD ? My DVD/CD writer hated some writeable DVDs I bought and evrey one I blew was an unreadable coaster. Bought a different brand and have had no problems since.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #85 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:20:33 pm »
I've upgraded :).

Unfortunately one of my browser plugins is not compatible (FireFTP). Neither has my display driver loaded properly (again) although this time the version in the repository does at least claim to support my card :-\. Everything else seems OK :)
Pen Pusher

border-rider

« Reply #86 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:44:31 pm »
is that 64 bit version ?

« Reply #87 on: 30 April, 2008, 06:25:50 am »
You shouldn't have to do any messing about choosing format etc. An ISO is an image of another CD so basically all the boot information is part of that image you don't have to add it separately. Have you tried a different brand of writeable CD ? My DVD/CD writer hated some writeable DVDs I bought and evrey one I blew was an unreadable coaster. Bought a different brand and have had no problems since.

Pat, I hadn't messed about with formats. One attempt to burn the CD produced garbage, the earlier one, nowt and after two hours of trying to solve the problem last night was about to go to bed when I decided "one more go with a new Mitsubishi DVD"

Imagine my surprise when it actually worked :o :thumbsup:.

My next hill  to climb is another notebook in which Windows imploded but which is a dual boot with Zandros. It is impossible to reinstall MS XP due to a probable bug and hence I cannot find where the problem lies. Therefore, I'm hoping to recover some important Excel files via the Ubuntu installation.

Fingers crossed.

And of course many thanks for the input by our Members. I have learned a lot from your contributions

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #88 on: 30 April, 2008, 08:29:05 am »
is that 64 bit version ?

yep :) Need it to recognise all 4 gigs of RAM ;D
Pen Pusher

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #89 on: 30 April, 2008, 08:47:16 am »
Woo, I got a bootable CD!  Yay, the standard install spotted both my HDD and my stick!  Boo, my stick was too small (it's what the ex-wife always complained about) and it wouldn't play.

I must shop.

At least it said "no" prettily.  That's a wuvly heron. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #90 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:06:35 pm »
Easiest way to upgrade is to just say ok when the updater tells you a new release is available.
Only minor concern I have is Firefox 3beta5 by default... means possible (probable?) breaking of various add-ons? (eg greasemonkey, etc.)   I'll stick with v2 for now until I'm sure about v3.

I upgraded Monday night / Tuesday morning.  Yes, it broke a number of add-ons in Firefox.  I have removed Ff 3.0b and the add-ons still refuse to work in 2.x.  Haven';t got around to removing the add-ons and re-installing them, but looks like that's what I'll have to do.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #91 on: 01 May, 2008, 07:08:06 am »
Just upgraded & my Firefox theme, Noia 2.0, and extensions Tabmix+ and Cooliris previews won't work  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #92 on: 01 May, 2008, 08:40:34 am »
Just made a bootable Live (non-persistent) stick (from a Windows box using these instructions) and it recognises my graphics and network cards and feels zippy and nice, so I think I'll invest some effort in this. 

I really like the idea of a keyring computer which just uses J Random Processing Box to make it work.  It appeals greatly to my nerd-in-a-chase-movie sadboy side.   :thumbsup:

Now, in full tinfoil hat mode, how would a fellow go about setting up an encrypted partition for user data (and moving their \My Docs equivalent onto it)? 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #93 on: 01 May, 2008, 08:58:05 am »
You could use something like this http://www.eyenetwatch.com/USB_hard_drive/fingerprint-usb-drive.htm . (I have seen them cheaper)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #94 on: 01 May, 2008, 09:44:48 am »
Now, in full tinfoil hat mode, how would a fellow go about setting up an encrypted partition for user data (and moving their \My Docs equivalent onto it)? 

I think it would be considered rude not to ;D 8)
Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #95 on: 01 May, 2008, 11:39:27 am »
Well, I spoke too soon :(. My mounting of windoze shares is borked. I can use smbclient which will get me by (for now) but my rsync backup scripts etc won't work now :-\.
Pen Pusher

border-rider

Re: Hardy Heron update bugfix
« Reply #96 on: 03 May, 2008, 01:50:50 pm »
I tried to install updates today - couldn't.

Then I found that I couldn't sudo anything.  It seems this is a common Hardy bug. The problem is that the system name gets corrupted by the addition of your Microsoft Windows network (if you have one).  You're  a bit stuffed cos you can't sudo edit any of the necessary files...

The answer is

System > Administration > Network ... Network Settings dialog Hosts tab >unlock >- Add or Delete.

Edit the system name here to what it should be, and all is well. :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-613521.html

« Reply #97 on: 10 May, 2008, 01:28:52 pm »
Help :demon:

When I booted into Hardy previously, I could easily locate my XP files. Last night after downloading some Hardy updates, I couldn't locate the file manager or the file tree?

Can you experts give me some guidance please?

Ta.

« Reply #98 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:19:47 am »
I'm bumping this up 'cos somebody must have the answer! :-\

Or perhaps a different question with with a similar answer as follows:-

With Hardy installed as a dual boot how do I locate my XP files?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #99 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:16:46 am »
I might be wrong but I'm sure that you have to mount your windows disk. It is probably NTFS so have a look at 3g-ntfs, I was sure that Hardy had that installed by default. Experts would come along shortly I'm sure.