Author Topic: e-scooter trial  (Read 93225 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: e-scooter trial
« Reply #725 on: 05 April, 2024, 10:14:54 pm »
Seems to miss a trick by lack of foldability.  Otherwise, you might as well have a seat.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #726 on: 05 April, 2024, 10:45:33 pm »
If it had a seat and required a motorbike licence etc, you wouldn't be able to even vaguely claim it was the first though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #727 on: 06 April, 2024, 10:10:11 am »
Seems to miss a trick by lack of foldability.  Otherwise, you might as well have a seat.
The stem folds down, though as it still takes up the same floor space that might be of limited use. At 34kg it's not like anyone is going to carry it far. 
I'm a bit puzzled by these, which might just mean I'm not the target audience.  I really want a go, yet can't imagine why someone would choose one over a conventional electric moped or one of the electric motorbikes that can be ridden with the same CBT certificate.   

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #728 on: 06 April, 2024, 10:41:38 am »
Executive summary: company makes standing room only motorbike.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #729 on: 06 April, 2024, 10:22:16 pm »
The stem folds down, though as it still takes up the same floor space that might be of limited use. At 34kg it's not like anyone is going to carry it far. 
I'm a bit puzzled by these, which might just mean I'm not the target audience.  I really want a go, yet can't imagine why someone would choose one over a conventional electric moped or one of the electric motorbikes that can be ridden with the same CBT certificate.

Well you'd likely be able to bring it in to your employer's bike store (which in London tend to be secure and indoors) and plug it in. And you couldn't be nicked on the way to work.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #730 on: 06 April, 2024, 10:39:28 pm »

Well you'd likely be able to bring it in to your employer's bike store (which in London tend to be secure and indoors) and plug it in. And you couldn't be nicked on the way to work.
Why would employers, or the law, differentiate between electric mopeds on the basis of whether they had a seat or not?

« Reply #731 on: 06 April, 2024, 10:55:28 pm »

Why would employers, or the law, differentiate between electric mopeds on the basis of whether they had a seat or not?

It looks like an e-scooter, which, like non-electric scooters and e-bikes, are generally allowed in employer's bike stores. But definitely not mopeds that look like mopeds. This is why I think some people might "choose one over a conventional electric moped or one of the electric motorbikes that can be ridden with the same CBT certificate".

The law differentiates on this one: it's legal and other e-scooters are not.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #732 on: 06 April, 2024, 11:20:30 pm »
It looks like an e-scooter,
Apart from the bigger wheels, the indicators, the number plate and the rider wearing a motorcycle helmet... we may just have to agree to disagree on this one, though it's legally exactly the same as any other moped.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #733 on: 07 April, 2024, 10:05:45 am »
There are advantages of standing. There's less suspension needed, and you get good visibility. Heresy to say that to cyclists.  :P

« Reply #734 on: 07 April, 2024, 02:11:32 pm »
There are advantages of standing. There's less suspension needed, and you get good visibility ...

... and when you do hit a pothole you are already in position to be ejected from your vehicle!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #735 on: 07 April, 2024, 06:12:50 pm »
Apart from the bigger wheels, the indicators, the number plate and the rider wearing a motorcycle helmet... we may just have to agree to disagree on this one, though it's legally exactly the same as any other moped.
The owner can choose to get it registered, taxed, insured, MoTed and wear a helmet. I expect many will choose not to, because it is essentially just another e-scooter.

« Reply #736 on: 07 April, 2024, 09:35:46 pm »
The owner can choose to get it registered, taxed, insured, MoTed and wear a helmet. I expect many will choose not to, because it is essentially just another e-scooter.
The USP is that it's road legal and that comes with a hefty premium. I doubt anyone who isn't concerned with the legality is going to choose this over the large choice of non road legal scooters, it wouldn't make sense.
On the practical level, the manufacturer is taking care of registration and type approval, the VED is £0, the fist MOT will be after three years and the manufacturer has teamed up with a broker to offer specific insurance. 

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #737 on: 07 April, 2024, 10:16:30 pm »
Where did you see that the manufacturer is taking care of registration and arranging insurance? But that being the case, it becomes an electric moped for people who like standing up and don't travel more than 25 miles in one go. I guess the market is tech bros, City sharks and a few others who want to be seen as ostentatious early adopters but not are put off by the slightly asbo-image of a standard (illegal) e-scooter (many which would easily achieve higher speeds and longer range)?

« Reply #738 on: 07 April, 2024, 11:26:17 pm »
Where did you see that the manufacturer is taking care of registration and arranging insurance?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seECKiVnsaM