Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2498775 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
On the commute today
« Reply #7400 on: 13 October, 2011, 07:17:50 pm »
You know that feeling when you're dancing up the hills like Virenque in his loved-up prime? That.

Don't know what's got into me tonight but my legs were on fire. Suspect it's a combination of what lurker said (ie the wind has dropped), having not too much crap in my saddlebag tonight, and generally improved fitness.

Whatever it is, it feels great. Long may it continue. :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Si_Co

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #7401 on: 14 October, 2011, 08:03:37 am »
One muppet last night who wound his window down at the junction to say: "you can't just pull out like that"
Me: " all that arm waving thing it's called a signal, it tells you what I'm going to do. I wasn't trying to hail a passing taxi or attract search and recscue"
Muppet: "you can't do that"
Me: "what turn right?"
Muppet "Errrr...Not in front of me"

The lights changed so I gave up watching my words bounce off solid rock and went on my way.  ::-)

Absolutely cracking ride in this morning, traffic very light but seemed much darker this morning.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #7402 on: 14 October, 2011, 08:10:56 am »
Overtaken today.  By a taxi.  While I was stationary at a red light.
Grr.
Had I been in primary, I shudder to think what the consequences would have been.
Hackney Carriage number 494.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #7403 on: 14 October, 2011, 09:15:41 am »
On the commute today I saw the Red Arrows! Not in their planes, but on bikes!

I was on the cycle path just coming into Quy on the way to Cambridge. Saw a police outrider coming towards me and assumed it was going to be another example of 'The Big Boat' (people who use Newmarket Road will know what I'm talking about) but it was a support van with 'Red Arrows' on the side and then about 20 riders. I assume this is the charity ride they are doing for the pilot who died in the summer - I was sure I'd read about it on here but I can't find it now. Anyway they all waved and gave me thumbs up and I did the same in return.

8)
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #7404 on: 14 October, 2011, 09:18:17 am »
Got chatting with a chap this morning heading for a school in Teddington. His philosophy to negotiating Kingston matched mine exactly.

As we crossed the bridge together the chat turned to the glory of the River, and it looked so tempting, with tendrils of mist being gently teased upwards by the early morning rays, that for the first time ever in the morning I took the Thames side path to Hampton Court.

Simply glorious.
Rust never sleeps

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #7405 on: 14 October, 2011, 10:25:53 am »
I am seriously considering not wearing my hi-viz top anymore.

Since putting it on (as it's a light, long sleeve top just right for this weather) I've had a series of very close passes.

Since wearing it I've had at least one close pass on every trip.

Last night I had 3 on the way home.

An Audi who passed close enough for me to knock on the side of his car with my hand.
Another Audi who passed close enough and at high enough speed that I felt the wind on my leg.
A boy racer who didn't think he needed to move out at all when passing me.

This morning it was back to just the one, as I was struggling up the big hill on the way to work.

Really put me in fear of my life. And it's only a 2 1/2 mile commute! I've been seriously considering using the Trans Pennine Trail again, even though if it's slightly wet it leaves me and the bike caked in mud.

:(

fuzzy

« Reply #7406 on: 14 October, 2011, 11:19:14 am »

Since putting it on (as it's a light, long sleeve top just right for this weather) I've had a series of very close passes.

Since wearing it I've had at least one close pass on every trip.

Last night I had 3 on the way home.

An Audi who passed close enough for me to knock on the side of his car with my hand.
Another Audi who passed close enough and at high enough speed that I felt the wind on my leg.
A boy racer who didn't think he needed to move out at all when passing me.

This morning it was back to just the one, as I was struggling up the big hill on the way to work.

Really put me in fear of my life. And it's only a 2 1/2 mile commute! I've been seriously considering using the Trans Pennine Trail again, even though if it's slightly wet it leaves me and the bike caked in mud.

:(

Re the close passes, I sympathise and would gladly join you in 'educating'.

Re the mud- no sympathy at all. get on with it :thumbsup:

JJ

« Reply #7407 on: 14 October, 2011, 12:11:18 pm »
Ran in this morning.  A bit peg-leggy from running home the long way last night, but everyone I passed seemed happy today.  Cheery good-mornings abounded.  :thumbsup:

spindrift

« Reply #7408 on: 14 October, 2011, 12:29:19 pm »

I was on the cycle path just coming into Quy on the way to Cambridge. Saw a police outrider coming towards me and assumed it was going to be another example of 'The Big Boat' (people who use Newmarket Road will know what I'm talking about) but it was a support van with 'Red Arrows' on the side and then about 20 riders. I assume this is the charity ride they are doing for the pilot who died in the summer - I was sure I'd read about it on here but I can't find it now. Anyway they all waved and gave me thumbs up and I did the same in return.

8)

the widow of the pilot who was killed is doing a coast to coast, Wales to Lowestoft, maybe it was them?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7409 on: 14 October, 2011, 12:30:18 pm »
Very considerate driving from a C&H Haulage artic in Rotherhithe.  Appraoching some road works where the road narrows, he slowed to a halt to allow all the cyclists who were coming up alongside (on his left - pratts) and behind to go through ahead of him. Then kept a nice distance behind them all the way through the roadworks.  :thumbsup:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #7410 on: 14 October, 2011, 06:58:18 pm »

8)

the widow of the pilot who was killed is doing a coast to coast, Wales to Lowestoft, maybe it was them?
I think the ride was already planned and the widow has taken her late husband's place.  Respect!

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #7411 on: 14 October, 2011, 07:12:13 pm »

<snip>

I've been riding without a helmet to work. It's not very urban, and about quarter is traffic free sustrans route. There's nowhere to put kit at work, no shower, and really, even half an hour under a helmet makes for less than office-perfect hair. I'm new. I'm trying to persuade them I'm normal(ish). I'm trying to ride in without getting sweaty, too.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of plastic hats, I'll always wear one when properly off-roading, on ice/wet roads, and when riding with other people, as that's when I fall off.
But I did think that other road users were much more generous to the obviously female cyclist pootling along sans lid, than they were to the ambiguously gendered racing cyclist in a helmet.
Which, anecdatally backs up that research of the guy with the wig.

Perhaps I need to shift this comment elsewhere?

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Re: On the commute this week
« Reply #7412 on: 14 October, 2011, 09:15:38 pm »
Bit of a weekly summary, as have been too busy to post.

Monday, a bus driver tried to off me on the perimeter road. There is a roundabout that is no longer a roundabout due to there being only 2 exits now, so it is a sharp left hand bend instead. I thought that the bus following me was going in to the bus stop a few yards before the bend, so I didn't take primary, but he didn't pull into the bus stop as expected, but went for the overtake going on to the roundabout/left hand bend. I watched with horror as once he was past me enough that he could no longer see me through his door, he took the corner, and shut me down. Travelling at 20mph between a kerb with railings to my left, and a bus to the right was not fun. I banged on the bus window, but that only frightened the old lady sitting on the other side. I managed to stop from going under by leaning hard left, with wheels under the side of the bus, and my right forearm against the bus side. Cut my elbow too, but I stayed on. Caught him up at the bus station and took a photo of the bus and driver before 'having words'. he denied everything, hadn't even seen me, wasn't there etc.

Tuesday - not much but were a bit blowy.

Wednesday - Was 'honking away' from some lights on the way home when the back of my pannier caught the wheel. clip on rear light spread across the road, but I got all the bits back and it still worked. Then notice rhythmic noise. Wheel out of true. Get home to find I broke a spoke. LBS had every size but the one I need. He gave me (gratis) one that was a couple of mm too short, but try as I might, it wouldn't fit. After loosening lots of spokes in the attempt, it now looks decidedly like a pringle.
New wheel ordered from Halfrauds reserve + collect.
I am considering rebuilding the wheel, but looking at it, the spokes are rusty, the nipples are rounded, the hub is graunchy (I should have changed the axle last time I did the bearings), and the rim is carp. It may one day emerge from the shed 'repaired' like triggers broom.

Thursday - Car, stuck in traffic. Reminded why I cycle. Picked up new wheel and fitted it.

Today - Wow that old hub really was knackered, new bearing had me zipping along, although the lack of wind probably helps. Its amazing how you get used to deterioration, and then notice the improvement when you fix it. Was glad of my winter top and jacket today though, was a bit nippy out this am. Was a heatwave 2 weeks ago.

« Reply #7413 on: 15 October, 2011, 07:28:25 am »
Don't normally have many problems on my commute, yesterday afternoon felt like there were loads of idiots on the road. Skidded to a stop after one women turned across me to turn right. Then later a nice lorry stopped on a single carriageway road to let me through, taxi came past him and drove straight at me forcing me off the road.

Still off the bike now till monday so hopefully all the idiots will disappear again!

gordon taylor

« Reply #7414 on: 15 October, 2011, 07:41:49 am »
Very considerate driving from a C&H Haulage artic in Rotherhithe.  Appraoching some road works where the road narrows, he slowed to a halt to allow all the cyclists who were coming up alongside (on his left - pratts) and behind to go through ahead of him. Then kept a nice distance behind them all the way through the roadworks.  :thumbsup:

You've reminded me - I often get overtaken by a huge drawbar outfit with ASPREYS in big letters on the back. We use the same stretch of single carriageway road at the same time most mornings. His* overtaking is always exemplary - wide and well timed in between the various refuges and bollards. I tend to like big trucks with professional drivers - the local Bassetts drivers often back off and straddle the lanes on the A34 double roundabouts which shields me (I'm in the middle of the middle lane) from the Audi whiz-kids.

* I assume it's a "he" driving.  :-[

I must contact the firm to say thank you.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7415 on: 15 October, 2011, 11:00:50 am »
Do Gordy, I have found it does the driver a world of good to get praise from the public, and generally you find other drivers for the same outfit start doing the same thing.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7416 on: 15 October, 2011, 01:00:08 pm »
I contacted a local firm to praise their drivers, Carpenters of Glossop, didn't get a reply but thought it was worth doing.

On the commute this morning I saw three foxes, the first stood in the road and watched me go past, the second was chasing a cat across the road and I was able to steer between them and head the fox off and the third was filthy.
On the way back I called in at a cafe I've found that does very good meat and potato pies. Because they didn't have any left I was given a free cheese and onion pie.
I bought a samosa and am having a double decker with the pie underneath the samosa. Both warmed through in the oven at home. Recommended!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #7417 on: 16 October, 2011, 10:49:21 pm »
I'm new. I'm trying to persuade them I'm normal(ish).
a) Congratulations :)
b) Lost cause ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #7418 on: 16 October, 2011, 11:52:12 pm »
Not really commuting, but using bike and train to take my mandolin to play at a folk club this evening. I recognised hime, and we had a long chat on the train, and he was an absolutely lovely man. Some bonzer stories...

Arthur Brown.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Si_Co

« Reply #7419 on: 17 October, 2011, 08:09:26 am »
Oh what a beautiful morning, great weather and absolutely flying, 32mph along altrincham road much to the confusion of a number of motons

« Reply #7420 on: 17 October, 2011, 09:52:32 am »
Came in to London on the Roubaix for its first proper ride since PBP. I've been generally riding either my fixed Pursuit or my Audax Mk3, but figured out that my small work laptop (with SSD hard drive, therefore reasonably vibration immune) will actually fit in my saddlebag so I don't need a pannier rack, therefore I can ride the soot bike. A fantastic morning to be out doing a 40 mile commute. A bit chilly to start with (YACF buff in headscarf mode under my cap to keep my neck and ears warm), but once the sun came up it was bright and glorious.

An irritating crane driver kept trying to overtake me on a short-ish uphill on the A30. I'd overtaken him after Camberley, and left him way behind as I dropped into Bagshot. He caught up at lights, then was driving right behind me on the climb (with his crane boom alongside) as he tried to decide if he had room between islands in the middle of the road (he didn't). I was doing 20mph uphill, he could maybe manage 25.
Once I got to a safe point a couple of hundred metres up the road I waved him past, and he took the next left turn, so all that bullying gained him nothing  >:(

I managed to arrive at Sunningdale just as the level crossing barriers came down (close enough to consider running them), so lost five minutes there for one train to go past.

Coming through Slough my rear crud roadracer guard failed again. I think I'm going to wait for the new SKS ones rather than replace the broken bit again (at about £6 now from crud it's getting quite expensive to run them), and see about making a hybrid rear guard using the crud part to protect the front mech and the SKS for the back.

I'd almost forgotten how lovely the Roubaix is to ride, and the PBP experience came back when I felt the urge to high-5 someone on the roadside who had their hand out to wave down a bus  :demon:

I was reminded why I normally come in later though; the London traffic before 9am is a bit of a nightmare, even on a bike. And not helped by the POBs who force their way to the front every time the traffic stops, then wobble and crawl away holding everyone up.

Looking forward to the ride home  :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #7421 on: 17 October, 2011, 10:19:20 am »
Where do you commute to Matt?

« Reply #7422 on: 17 October, 2011, 10:22:15 am »
I was reminded why I normally come in later though; the London traffic before 9am is a bit of a nightmare, even on a bike.

My commute is much less of a nightmare during the school holidays, but then I pass through Putney, Parsons Green, Fulham, Chelsea, etc where Wankpanzers on the school run swamp the roads.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #7423 on: 17 October, 2011, 10:32:44 am »
Tried to vary the commute and went through Leytonstone highroad with its convenient contraflow bike lane.
He didn't see me in his red mondeo, he only spotted the empty parking space ( there: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=leytonstone&hl=en&ll=51.568177,0.01089&spn=0.000007,0.004624&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.432157,37.880859&vpsrc=6&hnear=Leytonstone,+Greater+London,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.568452,0.011048&panoid=MKh5-gsIc5HPIzz9B5hkjQ&cbp=12,66.5,,0,14.3 ) on the other side of the solid white line and cycling lane, so in his excitement didnt have time to indicate or even look 10m in front of him.
When he finally spotted the flashing Hope vision 1 and high Viz vest and brought his tank to a standstill, it was in the middle of the lane and my rear wheel was 10cm off the ground.... not where it was meant to be.... it ended up in a near miss. No fall, no collision.

The rest of the journey was very pleasant given the weather conditions.

« Reply #7424 on: 17 October, 2011, 10:35:14 am »
Where do you commute to Matt?

Our current London office is on Hammersmith Road, midway between Hammersmith and Olympia. We've got a bigger one opening in a month or so just off Oxford Circus.