Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2498774 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #10350 on: 21 June, 2012, 03:53:20 pm »
could it be that the driver had delivered a load, then when unloaded he couldn't get back out?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10351 on: 21 June, 2012, 03:54:38 pm »
Better mapping data and satnavs will soon enough fix this problem.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10352 on: 21 June, 2012, 04:02:32 pm »
Yeah, my sympathy's with the driver on this one.  We're all human, navigational cockups happen.  Nobody got hurt, and they stopped before damaging anything.  To me, that suggests their priorities were at least in the right order.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10353 on: 21 June, 2012, 04:05:18 pm »
If satnavs were truly fit for purpose...

Ha! If only.

Just occasionally, someone makes a mistake.  It's commonly known as being human and no matter how conscientious, it's going to happen.

Of course. And looking at the bigger picture, it's the economic forces that put these huge vehicles in city centres that is the real problem, not the odd mistakes of the individual drivers.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10354 on: 21 June, 2012, 04:49:03 pm »
Citoyen's right.  The driver made a mistake.  That happens.  But it's utterly inappropriate that an articulated lorry should be going through that junction.
Getting there...

« Reply #10355 on: 21 June, 2012, 05:16:27 pm »

As it is, I've photographed some numpty drivers this morning.  But I didn't go through any red lights :P

...and presumably, you weren't wearing a floral dress and riding a sit-up-and-beg bike?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #10356 on: 21 June, 2012, 05:22:11 pm »
Somwhat OT, but still involving low bridges.... A few years ago a big truck pulled up as I walked along. He got out and showed me a hand drawn map with instructions on how to get to his destination in the town centre. As it happened, all he needed to do was turn around and take the first exit at the next roundabout to get him back on track, but I couldn't understand why the directions were sending him on such an arse about face route. I said "You don't wanna go that way, mate...." and proceeded to give him the quickest directions to where he wanted to go. Off he trundled. A few minutes later I suddenly realised why he was given the directions he had. "SHIT! THE RAILWAY BRIDGE!!"  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

simonp

« Reply #10357 on: 21 June, 2012, 06:31:22 pm »
Yet another driver cutting across the centre of the mini roundabout, turning right, without indicating, and with something in their hand. A cigarette, in this case.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10358 on: 21 June, 2012, 07:31:36 pm »

As it is, I've photographed some numpty drivers this morning.  But I didn't go through any red lights :P

...and presumably, you weren't wearing a floral dress and riding a sit-up-and-beg bike?

I will commute however I like! :P
Getting there...

« Reply #10359 on: 21 June, 2012, 07:46:58 pm »
and don't forget your screwdriver with that outfit.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10360 on: 21 June, 2012, 07:55:02 pm »
Better mapping data and satnavs will soon enough fix this problem.

Well, apparently there are truck-specific Garmin units now available, and the CityNavigator maps apparently contain 'Truck Specific' info that only gets used by these models.   Low bridges may be included, I don't know.

I've only heard about this whilst skim-reading a GPS forum, and have no evidence to back this up, and I CBA to google it...

On, and regarding today's commute: ride home was VERY wet, quite windy, and very slow!

« Reply #10361 on: 21 June, 2012, 08:03:10 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mmI867GAhew&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mmI867GAhew&rel=1</a>

« Reply #10362 on: 21 June, 2012, 08:03:38 pm »
Saw that on YouTube today.  :o

« Reply #10363 on: 21 June, 2012, 08:41:41 pm »
I never quite get the whole "Oh my god, it's all the fault of the SatNav" when people get stuck in narrow lanes, at low bridges, or drive into rivers.  People managed to deal with these issues before we had easy availability of such navigation aids.

Presumably it's because they now think it's sufficient to put an address into a SatNav unit, and leave it to work out the directions, in which case it's the fault of people not using a tool in a sensible manner.  If you hammer in a screw, it's hardly the fault of the hammer.

Anyway, back to other things.

There was a bit of a tailback going around the Streatham one way system this morning, and it turned out to be the police pulling over vehicles and checking them.  Whether they were using an ANPR camera to identify vehicles with no MOT, Tax, or Insurance I'm unsure, but I didn't see one.

They had pulled over a van, car, and motorcycle when I went past (the whole lot probably slowed me down maybe 30 seconds).  The motorcyclists looked somewhat troubled, being on the phone to someone to either produce some documentation presumably, or possibly come and pick him up.  There was a car transporter parked up there, with a couple of cars on it already.

I've never seen them do it there before, it's a little narrow, and there's not a vast amount of room, hence the tailbacks.  Previously I've seen them do it on Streatham High Road, where the bus stops are, and outside of rush hours presumably they can "borrow" some of the space normally used by the buses, but I imagine that's more difficult now because of all the building work going on there, and HGVs needing to be able to get through onto the site.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10364 on: 21 June, 2012, 08:56:13 pm »
Doing it on Balham Hill, too.
Getting there...

« Reply #10365 on: 21 June, 2012, 09:05:22 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmI867GAhew

Jesus that was scary. I can’t make out what is being said though :(

Just wow.

« Reply #10366 on: 21 June, 2012, 09:07:02 pm »
Doing it on Balham Hill, too.

Interesting.  It looked a bit like they may have been doing something similar on Embankment, west of Chelsea Bridge, but I don't go that way, and couldn't see exactly what was going on from the bridge.

Maybe there's been some sort of London wide crackdown, although a quick Google around doesn't throw up anything.  Possibly just coincidence.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #10367 on: 21 June, 2012, 09:22:17 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mmI867GAhew&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mmI867GAhew&rel=1</a>
She might have been forward, but the light was green, and given that the red/amber allows for the junction to clear, that megabus must have jumped a red.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #10368 on: 21 June, 2012, 10:34:52 pm »
that megabus must have jumped a red.

No doubt about that. I don’t know of any junctions of that type where lights for waiting traffic begin to change before the traffic across the junction is behind a red.

I wonder does the cyclist realise how close she came to being mincemeat?

« Reply #10369 on: 22 June, 2012, 12:01:30 am »
There are a few junctions in Leeds where red/amber at one set comes on as the lights turn to amber on the other set. So it's possible to be so close that you can't stop before the white line. Bloody stupid.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10370 on: 22 June, 2012, 10:03:54 am »
I've seen a few police checks going on too. P'raps they're doing a last-ditch attempt to clean up the roads before the Olympics...

I feel cheated, I was expecting no buses today considering how the media have been bleating on about the strike, and there were still a fair few. Presumably the companies that didn’t strike.

(Actually not really all that bothered; bus drivers are ok 9 times out of 10 on my commute)

citoyen

« Reply #10371 on: 22 June, 2012, 10:50:11 am »
I've been experimenting lately with variations to my route between Bromley and Southwark and I found a nice new one this morning, via the back streets of Beckenham and Penge. I'd actually planned a different route but where I wanted to go straight on, I noticed a blue cycle route sign pointing left to Crystal Palace, so thought I'd give it a go. And it works really well.

The roads are much quieter than the main route through Beckenham and Penge, and there are far fewer traffic lights too, so it's actually faster than the A-road. It brings you out in Sydenham (curable, I believe) and from there I took the lovely little climb of Kirkdale - which I didn't get up as quickly as I might have done if there hadn't been a sodding coach having trouble negotiating all the parked cars.  ::-)

After that, I went down through Dulwich Village and rejoined my more usual route through Denmark Hill and Camberwell to E&C on the main road. I was slightly earlier than usual and traffic in Dulwich was at its peak. Might have been better off sticking to Lordship Lane and skirting round Dulwich.

I've plotted it in bikeroutetoaster, should anyone be interested:
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=418078

Would be nice to find a route that's as quiet as that first bit all the way...

d.

ian

« Reply #10372 on: 22 June, 2012, 12:18:31 pm »

Would be nice to find a route that's as quiet as that first bit all the way...

d.

It's probably not fast enough for you, but there's plenty of sections of LCN 23 that parallel the main roads along your route, for instance I avoid Camberwell and Walworth Road most of the time by carrying on along Calton Avenue from Dulwich Village, through the James Allen and St Olave's sports fields and up over the top of Dog Kennel Hill and then down Camberwell Grove. Given the horrid traffic snarls and lights, it seems to be as quick to me (but I'm not a furious pedaller) and you don't have chew through the bus fumes.

Mind you, my meandering routes between Holborn Circus and Beckenham have spanned Kingston to Erith, so I don't have much of a fixed route per se.

Last night's wind and rain encouraged me to seek my perceived quickest route up Fountain Drive to the heights of Crystal Palace, which given the solid headwind I encountered, started to seem like a less good idea, though wasn't as bad it as it seemed, given some exploration of the land of lower gears. It was more precarious coming down Anerley Hill. The wind gusts were threatening even my lead tubed bike's stability. Of course, despite the wobbles, a few drivers still insisted on passing with a millimetre of clearance.

(Actually, I'm quite knackered today, but that might have been spending the hours between midnight and 3am ish trying to rescue an injured fox from the back garden, and killing approximately 1,000,000 crusading slugs intent on my veg.)

citoyen

« Reply #10373 on: 22 June, 2012, 01:05:33 pm »
It's probably not fast enough for you, but there's plenty of sections of LCN 23 that parallel the main roads along your route, for instance I avoid Camberwell and Walworth Road most of the time by carrying on along Calton Avenue from Dulwich Village, through the James Allen and St Olave's sports fields and up over the top of Dog Kennel Hill and then down Camberwell Grove.

That looks like a really interesting possibility - thanks! Probably plenty fast enough, tbh - like you say, with all the lights and traffic on the main road, it probably makes no difference to the overall journey time even if you have to ride a bit slower. And it would definitely be good to have a few alternative routes to choose between based on whether I'm taking it easy (like I did this morning) or in full Lycra-clad Urban Road Warrior mode.

Last night's wind and rain encouraged me to seek my perceived quickest route up Fountain Drive to the heights of Crystal Palace, which given the solid headwind I encountered, started to seem like a less good idea, though wasn't as bad it as it seemed, given some exploration of the land of lower gears.

I wish I'd gone via Fountain Drive last night. The evil wind made me seek a flatter route, but it was so strong that I was slow enough that I knew I would never make my train, so I took my time and did a bit of exploring of the back streets of Honor Oak. Didn't think much of that route tbh. Ended up getting spat out on that nasty gyratory bit on Southend Lane by the big Sainsbury's.

d.

Si_Co

« Reply #10374 on: 22 June, 2012, 01:08:53 pm »
Very wet this morning, all the drains on Park road were like fountains, meaning I rode a very primary position, made lots of friends   ;D