Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2498860 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #13175 on: 15 April, 2013, 08:34:34 am »
Seems to be an inset day for a number of the schools round here.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #13176 on: 15 April, 2013, 09:16:11 am »
Mitts, shorts, sandals.  :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #13177 on: 15 April, 2013, 09:28:24 am »
Crikey. Are people stopping and pointing at you? And not in a good way?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #13178 on: 15 April, 2013, 09:38:17 am »
Seems to be an inset day for a number of the schools round here.
That's the case round us as well. Distinctly low levels of traffic in SW London and Kingston.

But more to the point, today was my first day on the bike since the Wednesday before Easter due to a rather unpleasant bout of the lurgy. Nice to be back, though I appear to have the legs and lungs of someone aout 30 years older. God, I feel awful.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #13179 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:42:52 am »
It was definitely more crowded on the 07:16 train from Feltham this morning - as expected with everyone going back after Easter.  Not sure about the roads.

« Reply #13180 on: 15 April, 2013, 12:42:08 pm »
Great ride in today hit 48kph a couple of times. I haven't felt this good for ages.
It was actually a little too warm for my early season gloves. I would have been fine wearing mitts.

spindrift

« Reply #13181 on: 15 April, 2013, 02:33:29 pm »
Terrible incident in Norfolk, 31 year old woman on a green Dawes killed near Sheringham, and the 84 year old driver died too, never heard of that before. Very sad, she was on a pilgrimage:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/family_pays_tribute_to_beautiful_compassionate_intelligent_and_caring_teacher_who_died_during_cycling_pilgrimage_to_walsingham_1_2018045

« Reply #13182 on: 15 April, 2013, 03:16:44 pm »
Dropped the Brompton off for replacement rear triangle surgery on the way in to the office.

Got a few strange looks towing another bike in the trailer and confused the bike shop a little bit. Think they were expecting me to turn up in a car.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #13183 on: 15 April, 2013, 06:43:11 pm »
Slightly longer, more upward route home last night as recovery progresses.

Bit of a close one on the way in this morning though. Approaching the width restriction here, with me in secondary, I was overtaken by a car (we were heading in the same direction as the view). This car got in OK. I was just moving to primary, so was about on the arrow when another car came hooning up behind me. A blue Golf or Polo pulls an overtake and nearly mounts the island in it's haste to regain position. Missed me by about 12 inches. I did the usual sit up and arm out to the side in a WTF? gesture. Blue Golf or Polo was in a queue a few hundred meters up the road. Window opens- "Whats your fucking problem?" asks the driver. "Cocks being given driving licences" I reply as I ride by.

Please, oh please, oh please … why couldn't you have produced your Warrant card Fuzzers!!!!!!!!!???

I've often wanted to say to someone like this, who complains "For all you know, I might be an off-duty police officer.", but don't know if it would be illegal or not!

« Reply #13184 on: 15 April, 2013, 07:20:23 pm »
Shorts. no jacket (it's worth wearing the YACF jerseys again!  :thumbsup:), fingerless mitts, sunglasses.  ;D
Bit blusterous on the way home, mind...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #13185 on: 16 April, 2013, 12:14:04 pm »
Many schools are back. Drivers seem to have forgotten spacial awareness. ::-)
Not too much fun at times.

« Reply #13186 on: 16 April, 2013, 12:32:49 pm »
On the commute today, I popped in to condor, and came out with a bit of paper. Oops.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13187 on: 16 April, 2013, 12:33:51 pm »
Oh.  Their bits of paper can be very expensive...
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13188 on: 16 April, 2013, 01:23:52 pm »
Ok who switched my commute for a wind tunnel test?

Hoping going home will be as fast as coming in this morning wasn't.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #13189 on: 16 April, 2013, 03:06:29 pm »
A very windy day that is getting windier. Peak steady winds at 40+mph, Tay Road Bridge closed to all traffic.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13190 on: 16 April, 2013, 03:13:42 pm »
It's 4.4km from my house to the station. The clock was showing 7.31 when I finally set off this morning. I nearly didn't bother trying to catch the 7.39 train, but then I thought sod it, I'll go for it...

And I made it with a good minute to spare.  8)

7mins 22secs. The same journey yesterday morning took over ten minutes, largely thanks to bloody cars holding me up on the descent into town. This morning, I got lucky when I hit the roundabout at the top of the hill, timing it perfectly so I was able to filter through at speed. I was slowed down slightly on the descent again, but not so badly. And there may have been a hint of a tailwind. I might have gone under seven minutes if the road had been completely clear though. Bloody cars.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #13191 on: 16 April, 2013, 03:14:23 pm »
London commuters watch out tomorrow morning.  Road closures for the Thatcher funeral from 07:00 (and 09:00 for Millbank, Victoria Street, and Parliament Square).  I usually commute over Westminster Bridge but will do Lambeth or Vauxhall tomorrow.

« Reply #13192 on: 16 April, 2013, 06:42:48 pm »
Another nice HGV Driver. A tipper truck with ‘George Dugdale’ emblazoned on it. I was about to take the turn onto Lambeth Bridge and turned to check he could see me and wasn’t about to try any funny business (lots of vehicles cut you off there). He was deliberately hanging back and smiling at me. I gave him a thumbs-up and made the turn first, safely.

I can’t find an email address for George Dugdale haulage to send him some praise, only a phone number and postal address. I should really stop being so lazy and write them a nice letter. Or send them a Christmas card!!

Despite my general avoidance of snail mail I’ve now sent them a Christmas card complimenting the driver’s behaviour and mentioning the place and date so maybe they can pass it on to him. It's important to encourage good driving.

Well, it took a while and my commute is rather different now, but I have a response...

I know this have has taken a while but we have just moved office and i found the christmas card you sent me in december regarding the safe lorry driver that was behind you lambeth bridge on the 12th of december. Firstly thank you very much for the card it was a complete surprise and i thank you for taking the time and sourcing our address and sending the card. Please accept my apologies for the late reply but i found it once everything had been cleared out of the old office.

Its nice to know some people/cyclists do recognize the patience and good driving of some drivers in around london and i would like to thank you for letting me know as a company.

we are in the process of doing a website and i would like to use the card as a foot note on the webpage. As we have gained the FORS award which includes safe driving and that all our drivers have been trained.   

Again thank you for the card and hopefully we'll hear from you in due course.

:)

« Reply #13193 on: 16 April, 2013, 06:59:16 pm »
Notsototalnewbie   :D :D

My commute today was dominated by the wind.  Just from that awkward where it's a head wind both ways.   >:(

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13194 on: 16 April, 2013, 07:07:00 pm »
I hope the grammar on the website is better, but that's a definite :thumbsup:
Getting there...

spindrift

« Reply #13195 on: 16 April, 2013, 07:39:27 pm »
"Some people/cyclists" ??

« Reply #13196 on: 16 April, 2013, 08:40:29 pm »
London commuters watch out tomorrow morning.  Road closures for the Thatcher funeral from 07:00 (and 09:00 for Millbank, Victoria Street, and Parliament Square).  I usually commute over Westminster Bridge but will do Lambeth or Vauxhall tomorrow.

Indeed, I do Grosvenor Road, Millbank, Lambeth Bridge, Lambeth Palace Road, York Road, *depends on lights*, Upper Ground.

Crossing Vauxhall Bridge Southwards in the morning is hideous courtesy of the wafer thin cycle lane. Lambeth Bridge is generally better but the closed roads will just divert the majority of the idiots that didn't realise what was going on.

I think I'll leave for home much earlier as I'm on the nursery run, and it's Fulham vs Chelsea tomorrow night.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13197 on: 16 April, 2013, 09:45:16 pm »
Train tomorrow, I'm embarrassed to admit :-[
Getting there...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #13198 on: 16 April, 2013, 09:47:23 pm »
Strictly speaking my Swiss ride wasn't a commute today.  The project has swapped Basel for Zurich for a week (not literally as the two cities are different shapes so it would get messy aronud the edges).  Ummed and ahed about taking the Airnimal out just for a few days but it was already packed up so....

...after a v. long day got going about8.35pm for a quick spin around the Greifensee.  Was just getting going when someone with legs like Spartacus came zooming past so foolish got on to his wheel and did turn and turn about until the Fallanden sign appeared and saved from the usual fate that befalls those trying to hold the wheels of fit Swiss cyclists.  However, had got momentum up so was back at the hotel at 9.50pm with 39km under the best and a broad grin.  First ride in shorts this year - done at night - in a balmy 16C  ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #13199 on: 17 April, 2013, 12:46:29 am »
If you get the chance, ride up  Adlisberg, if only to have a laugh when you come across the Dolder Grand (http://www.thedoldergrand.com/en.html) ....  Uetliberg is worth doing, too, but for the view.