Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2498860 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #18600 on: 01 June, 2016, 12:42:47 am »
Definite headwind on the way home this evening. Since I couldn't be arsed, I just geared down and accepted the lower speed.
On the way in some temporary traffic lights have been added to the multitude of permanent sets. Unfortunately the new set were right in the middle of a Strava segment that I occasionally have a "go" at. It's still fairly new to me so I'm still making progress as it were. This afternoon's attempt seemed to be going well until I had to anchor on from 20+mph. Hey, ho. There's always next time.

« Reply #18601 on: 01 June, 2016, 08:03:42 am »
More slogging into the wind this morning

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #18602 on: 01 June, 2016, 08:11:30 am »
Definite headwind on the way home this evening. Since I couldn't be arsed, I just geared down and accepted the lower speed.
On the way in some temporary traffic lights have been added to the multitude of permanent sets. Unfortunately the new set were right in the middle of a Strava segment that I occasionally have a "go" at. It's still fairly new to me so I'm still making progress as it were. This afternoon's attempt seemed to be going well until I had to anchor on from 20+mph. Hey, ho. There's always next time.

When you will undoubtedly have to cope with a bi-directional headwind . . .

. . . and a tractor.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18603 on: 01 June, 2016, 09:18:16 am »
Talking of tractors, I took my main road option today and a tractor driver tried to overtake me just before the downhill. In the end he was stuck in the middle of the road at about 30 mph. Of course the driver of questionable parentage decided to squeeze me to get out of the situation and I had to back off >:(

Other than that it was a lovely ride in with the sun out and wind at my back 8)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #18604 on: 01 June, 2016, 09:30:39 am »
Last nights wet windy miserable ride was made delightful by the lack of skool run. This mornings wet windy miserable ride was wet, windy, and miserable. This afternoons ride will be delightful again cos of no skool run.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #18605 on: 01 June, 2016, 09:51:20 am »
The weather is upside down I'm happy to say.  While those in the darkest south complain of wet and windy, here in the north its blue skies and light winds.   :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #18606 on: 01 June, 2016, 10:42:26 am »
It was damp and drizzly this morning, the sort of weather that makes me wish I had disc brakes, because it makes the roads, rims, and pads, just that perfect combination of greasy damp to eliminate all friction.  But after Walton-on-Thames it stopped raining and I almost dried out by the time I made the office.  First cycle commute for 3 months - hopefully will be able to repeat the feat more frequently now that my work calendar has settled down and there are less client meetings in far flung places.  Mrs CET is away this evening so can go back by a scenic route if legs and weather permit.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #18607 on: 01 June, 2016, 01:30:21 pm »
Yesterday was a wonderful commute, rain was forecast, so Queenstown Road had zero other cyclists on it.  When it's been sunny recently, the fair weather cyclists appear in droves, and unfortunately Queenstown Road feeding onto Chelsea Bridge, is a pinch point for all commuter traffic, motorised and pedal powered.
Actually, it is rocket science.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #18608 on: 01 June, 2016, 04:53:41 pm »
I feel similarly about Bute Park in Cardiff on my cycle home.  It's far nicer when it's been raining as all the pedestrians disppear.  O:-) O:-) O:-)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #18609 on: 01 June, 2016, 11:10:59 pm »
Took the scenic route back from London through Ascot and the Wellingtonia Avenue to set a new PB for longest commute.  Now relaxing over some very tasty cheese from the isle of Wight (Gallybagger) and some Black Grouse.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #18610 on: 02 June, 2016, 12:30:14 am »

Highlight of today's commute was the behaviour of the driver of Stagecoach's X57. He passed me twice, the first time after waiting quite a while until it was safe and then giving me loads of room. The second time he again waited but I was able to get onto the pavement (it was clear, I could see a long way) so he could get past. We parted at some traffic lights with a wave. I've e-mailed Stagecoach.

Stagecoach have replied and they're going to pass on my comments to the driver  :thumbsup:
I e-mailed in again this evening to also compliment a driver: another long wait before passing wide and slow.

Other than that, the only change was a diversion via West Didsbury on the way to work to sign some papers.
There was a fairly cold head wind on the return. I might have to put some shoe covers in the bag to accompany the waterproof, windproof, gloves and leg-warmers. Apart from the waterproof, I've used them all this week.

Not sure about a bike commute tomorrow; I have a job interview in Bolton in the morning so it depends when that finishes and what time I get home. Fingers crossed it goes well and I also get home early.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #18611 on: 02 June, 2016, 07:42:36 am »
Yesterday was a wonderful commute, rain was forecast, so Queenstown Road had zero other cyclists on it.  When it's been sunny recently, the fair weather cyclists appear in droves, and unfortunately Queenstown Road feeding onto Chelsea Bridge, is a pinch point for all commuter traffic, motorised and pedal powered.
I had Clapham Common all to myself for the cycle training I was booked to run on Tuesday!  Only one client turned up though.  She was a complete beginner and was pleased that the torrential rain meant there were no witnesses to what she was sure was going to be her humiliating failure.  As it happens, she was pedalling independently after half an hour or so, even negotiating little slalom courses round the basketball court by the end of the session.  She had no decent waterproof kit, was soaked to the skin but grinning from ear to ear. That's the good news.  Bad news: my rather expensive, only year old waterproof chose that day to fail completely.  I was bone dry and warm from my waist to my feet, but absolutely saturated and chilled to the bone from waist to neck.

« Reply #18612 on: 02 June, 2016, 08:30:58 am »
Very tough wind this morning so just eased off and accepted it was going to be slow
I have a job interview in Bolton in the morning so it depends when that finishes and what time I get home. Fingers crossed it goes well and I also get home early.

That'll be a challenging commute  :D Hope it goes well for you Andrew

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #18613 on: 02 June, 2016, 08:58:30 am »
A splendid damp and windy traffic-free ride home last night. A rather cold, windy and damp ride in today. I decided to use the folder for a change, so it was a FUN cold, windy and damp ride in.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #18614 on: 02 June, 2016, 09:14:23 am »
What  a difference a day makes. No wevver. No headwind. No cyclists (until Bow). Few cars. What's not to like?

« Reply #18615 on: 02 June, 2016, 09:42:20 am »
That was OK, the wind felt strong and in my face but the trees weren't moving... The cow parsley was when I rounded a couple of corners and really felt it.

However the low light was when on approach to a roundabout I entered lane two as it formed ready to turn right and was beeped by the driver behind, who then sounded his horn a second time as I took the fast line through the roundabout and delayed him for a total of about 2 seconds.  :-\

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18616 on: 02 June, 2016, 09:53:44 am »
The weather is upside down I'm happy to say.  While those in the darkest south complain of wet and windy, here in the north its blue skies and light winds.   :thumbsup:

Not in this bit of the North East, thobut  :(

« Reply #18617 on: 02 June, 2016, 10:05:49 am »
Very stiff winds today  :sick:

« Reply #18618 on: 02 June, 2016, 10:38:52 am »

Not in this bit of the North East, thobut  :(

Nae luck pingu. Theres a cold breeze coming off the coast just now, but its not too bad, and more than made up for by the sunshine.

Couple of unusual spots in last couple of commutes: Last night a Brompton going full pelt along behind me, and doing evens for a while.  And night before, a fat-tyred machine all ready for a cross-Saharan adventure with bottles on the fork legs and frame bag, etc, also going unfeasibly fast.    Maybe is me whose getting slower...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18619 on: 02 June, 2016, 11:08:54 am »
Getting used to this sunshine, and the wind's dropped a little from yesterday which is good as it was quite a battle home into it yesterday evening.

« Reply #18620 on: 02 June, 2016, 12:27:54 pm »
I had Clapham Common all to myself for the cycle training I was booked to run on Tuesday!  Only one client turned up though.  She was a complete beginner and was pleased that the torrential rain meant there were no witnesses to what she was sure was going to be her humiliating failure.  As it happens, she was pedalling independently after half an hour or so, even negotiating little slalom courses round the basketball court by the end of the session.  She had no decent waterproof kit, was soaked to the skin but grinning from ear to ear. That's the good news.  Bad news: my rather expensive, only year old waterproof chose that day to fail completely.  I was bone dry and warm from my waist to my feet, but absolutely saturated and chilled to the bone from waist to neck.
Other than the wet bit, that sounds gloriously gratifying. Nice work.
Rust never sleeps

fuzzy

« Reply #18621 on: 02 June, 2016, 04:40:24 pm »
Tuesday was a car commute due to an unfortunately located cyst that made sitting a saddle impossible.

Yesterday and today was Stache borne and lots of fun. The rain on Monday however did make for a few greasy slidey moments on the way in yesterday and a couple of tail slides off embankments on the way home.

This morning was a less slidey ride as I was ready for it. See how it goes on the way home.

I certainly have moar freckles after each ride thobut ;D

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #18622 on: 02 June, 2016, 06:26:09 pm »
Other than the wet bit, that sounds gloriously gratifying. Nice work.
I'm so lucky to be able to do this job, which I do really enjoy,  and have a little pension to supplement the pay.   It's all the best things about teaching and hardly any of the other stuff which stressed me and meant I was practically always working.  However, If I had to pay a large London size rent and survive solely on what I could make from the job, I'm not sure I would enjoy it quite so much.

« Reply #18623 on: 02 June, 2016, 10:48:22 pm »
I have a job interview in Bolton in the morning so it depends when that finishes and what time I get home. Fingers crossed it goes well and I also get home early.

That'll be a challenging commute  :D Hope it goes well for you Andrew

Thanks Si.
The job, if I got it, wouldn't be based in Bolton. I think the nearest "facility" is in Stalyvegas Stalybridge but I don't think I'd have to go there very often.

Anyway, despite the congestion around the Traffic Trafford Centre ("Hey it's a lovely sunny day, let's go shopping") I got back in plenty of time to get ready to ride into work.
Better still, I managed to finish early and I'm home before my shift is scheduled to end yet I'm still being paid  :thumbsup:.

There's not much to say about today's commute except that the temporary traffic lights had gone on the return journey and I've also worked out the lights at Parrs Wood (both directions); I need to give it everything from the 1st red light in the sequence and keep going. No half measures or I won't get through.
It adds interest.

Day off tomorrow and again Sunday and Monday.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18624 on: 02 June, 2016, 11:03:37 pm »
It was such a sunny day I rode over Cold Fell on the way home. New PB over the fell, but my legs aren't too sure that was wise.