Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2499015 times)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #5575 on: 11 May, 2011, 04:57:01 pm »
Absolute mobile phone fest today on the way home, sadly only this one came out clearly enough for Roadsafe & Employers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d26gZOjRMGw

Had a reply from the company today.  If they have taken the stated action then a positive result IMHO.

Dear Sir,

Firstly, I would like to sincerely apologise for the illegal and dangerous incident you witnessed yesterday.

We take road safety extremely seriously. With this in mind, the employee in question has been called to our head office this morning for a meeting with our Managing Director. We have stressed the importance of driving safely and abiding by the law, and also reiterated our company policy. Disciplinary action has been taken, and the employee will be monitored from now on. Further to this, our managing director is looking into supplying all Smith & Byford drivers with hands free kits to ensure incidents of this nature will not re-occur.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention and being so vigilant, and once again I apologise on behalf of our employee for his bad judgement.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5576 on: 11 May, 2011, 04:59:58 pm »
I reckon the driver was Smith & the M.D. is Byford

« Reply #5577 on: 11 May, 2011, 05:10:39 pm »
Hmmm. If you can face it, it might be worth pointing Smith & Byford to the research (Mal Volio can oblige) which shows that hands-free phone kits are as dangerous as hand held devices.

If it's legal compliance they are after, then no problems with their stated action.

If it's increased safety, .....
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5578 on: 11 May, 2011, 09:18:21 pm »
I saw a yellowhammer today.  I have seen what I thought was this species several times for the last 3 weeks but I never saw enough of the bird to confirm it.  Tonight I did.  I then searched the RSPB site and found a drive to improve the habitat on arable land to support 6 big species in Wessex but with a knock on to other birds - one of which was the yellowhammer.

I had previously only ever seen this bird in York whilst with The Desperate Housewives coming home from the Easter Arrow.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5579 on: 11 May, 2011, 10:40:17 pm »
In which we learn that not all cyclists are lovely people.

Riding home today, uphill, approaching a cross roads. Mine is the major road. Parked cars and traffic means things are more or less ground to a halt.

From the left I spy a bloke, early twenties at a guess, on an MTB, approaching on the minor road. I notice that he doesn't look right (towards me), only left.  He pulls straight out across my path without looking, causing me to brake sharper than usual. I shout out, in a mixture of surprise and comment on his poor observation skills, "Oi! twat!".

At this he slams on his anchors, half way across the junction and wheels round: "Watch your fucking mouth, cunt!". And punches me, bam, in the side.

I was more amazed than hurt or upset. I'm a grown up and I don't really do the violence thing, but for a split second I considered giving chase (he'd shot off sharpish) and laying about him with my Topeak.

Afterwards I was a bit shaky, but thought calming thoughts and enjoyed the rest of the ride.

The trouble with dwelling on trouser coughs like that cyclist is that you're letting them live in your head rent-free. Best to rise above it and console yourself with the thought their life must be pretty crappy. Forget it, let it wash over you, it's not worth it.

Or

monitor that road for a few weeks. See if you can trace the cyclist and find out where he lives. Buy the house next door and over a period of years maintain cordial relations but at the same time wage a secret war of attrition. Break into his house and leave a severed pig's head on his toilet seat, the maw smeared with scarlet lipstick. Order taxis, pizzas etc at 3am, smear dog poo on his door and brake fluid on his car, all the usual stuff. Finally, install CCTV,  dress a monkey up as a nazi and you as your punchy neighbour, beat the monkey to death with sticks and fire, turn the footage over to Johnny Law and mention "years of hell". Job's a good 'un.

Thank goodness this would be nothing out of the ordinary

Sincere apologies, I've massively over estimated your sense of humour. Don't kill any monkeys Tim.

I've got a sense of humour?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #5580 on: 11 May, 2011, 11:27:52 pm »
This getting silly. Another bad morning today.

There I was, minding my own business, carefully crossing the pavement cycle gap, with the lights (cute little green bicycles - you can see them on Streetmap) in my favour, no traffic or pedestrians in sight, from Hazelbourne Road into Cavendish Road in London SW.

Along comes Mr Numpty, on his full-suss mountainbike with knobblies (just what you need for the trackless wastes of Balham) north along the pavement on Cavendish Road, against the lights and at stupid speed. Sees me, jams on his front brake, does an Imperial Crowner and then attacks me, pushing me over while I was sitting stationary on my bike simply because I stopped his BSO falling onto me by pushing it away.

Three or four other cyclists (one of whom claimed to be ex-Bill - he seemed a sensible type) stop and have a go at Mr Numpty and he scuttles off.

"He'll be under an HGV soon," says the ex-Bill bloke.

Little damage, just a bit of a pain in the arse which has now just about subsided and a broken lever on my shoes, which can be replaced at Pearson's in Sutton (founded 1860) according to Specialized.

I was moving awkwardlyand feeling shaken until after lunch.

There seems to be a trend for some cyclists (usually unstylish ones with cr@p bikes) to behave like the worst sort of motorists (see Tim Hall's post and mine yesterday).

I'm getting the train to work tomorrow (mainly because an unexpected flush of work means I can take Mrs Honest out to eat in the evening).
The journey is always more important than the destination

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5581 on: 11 May, 2011, 11:30:20 pm »

There seems to be a trend for some cyclists (usually unstylish ones with cr@p bikes) to behave like the worst sort of motorists (see Tim Hall's post and mine yesterday).

I'm getting the train to work tomorrow (mainly because an unexpected flush of work means I can take Mrs Honest out to eat in the evening).

Don't let him bring you down. And have a lovely meal with Mrs. Honest tomorrow.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5582 on: 11 May, 2011, 11:38:53 pm »

Don't let him bring you down. And have a lovely meal with Mrs. Honest tomorrow.

If I'm in a really good mood (and I should be, since I'll be spending the day cataloguing pictures of cows and tractors for my gorgeous ex-colleague the Picture Editor and engaging in GNB* with the younger members of the staff. And it's money for old rope) dinner will be at Nancy Lam's, where we've been eating when finances allow almost since she opened.

*Good-natured banter. Refer to The Beidebecke Affair.

"We are on the brink of a new era, if only..."

« Reply #5583 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:03:45 am »
Super day today, and I think I have moved on a little from Team Slow. On my way home tonight, I happened across a young black guy on a Bianchi, looked like a regular rider. Didn't think much to it until we met again at Stratford (and I think he was a little surprised to see me, too. I know I was.) and he said hello. Foot and knee still not 100% so I may take the tube again tomorrow, discretion being at least a little bit of being sensible.

« Reply #5584 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:04:03 am »
Sorry to hear of these happenings, Tim Hall and Honest John  :(

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #5585 on: 12 May, 2011, 06:21:17 am »
This is so bloody unpleasant, it seems that total gits are on the rise.

Perhaps they are opting for a different form of transport to confuse us.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5586 on: 12 May, 2011, 06:56:18 am »

;D

Thoughts of Average-sized Jill Swinburne always make the world seem a better place.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5587 on: 12 May, 2011, 08:00:04 am »

;D

Thoughts of Average-sized Jill Swinburne always make the world seem a better place.

d.

Oh, yes. I shall kindle my desires, like Mr Carter. But, fortunately, I have no need for a hedge-trimmer (I find attacking foliage with an old tenon-saw and a pair of pliers more satisfying).

« Reply #5588 on: 12 May, 2011, 08:06:33 am »
This is so bloody unpleasant, it seems that total gits are on the rise.

Perhaps they are opting for a different form of transport to confuse us.

Indeed. I have a lot of sympathy with peds who whinge about pavement cyclists.

« Reply #5589 on: 12 May, 2011, 08:23:31 am »
Shame, Honest John, poor you.  You've had a hard run of it lately.  Must say I'm feeling a bit down about my own commute yesterday, just so much grumpiness, impatience and aggression, and unlike you I let it get to me and didn't cycle up to my own standards on a few bits either.  :(
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5590 on: 12 May, 2011, 08:54:38 am »
This getting silly.

It certainly is.  That's a ridiculous sequence of events.

That's because a lot of them are the worst sort of motorist.  And the worst sort of train/tube/bus passenger, too.  And the worst sort of pedestrian...

I was moving awkwardly and feeling shaken until after lunch.

I wonder if these people ever realise the consequences of their actions.  They may well not even care - after all, if you gave a stuff about other people, surely you wouldn't act like a complete tosspot in the first place, but just some of them may act differently if they knew what they had really done.

Hope that's a lovely evening unspoiled by numpties or thoughts thereof.
Getting there...

« Reply #5591 on: 12 May, 2011, 09:05:55 am »
Seen on the way home last night; motorbike on side, engine cracked. Police car missing front bumper. 6 police cars in attendance and westbound carriageway of A64 closed. Grim sight.

Near home, I passed a taxi with the logo "S.H.A.T. Travel" on the side.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5592 on: 12 May, 2011, 09:09:32 am »
Oh yes, got overtaken by a kid on a scooter on a tight corner with road narrowings so close that his head was almost above my feet.  All whilst towing the littlest monkey in his Burley D'Lite.   :hand:
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5593 on: 12 May, 2011, 09:09:57 am »
By contrast, Butterfly had another early start.  We got up a bit more promptly this morning, so we didn't need to rush.  But we did move again, clocking up an aerage of 23.3kph by the time she got to work - barely slower than yesterday, and probably more than accounted for by taking it easier up Upper Tooting Road. ;D

From there, I cut across Clapham Common and followed my usual commute to work, which I reached within the hour, which is my normal benchmark, despite having covered a couple of extra kilometres.

But I didn't stop there.  I headed out through the backstreets of Southwark to Bermondsey and along the river to Rotherhithe.  The sections of shared use path were a bit slow, but it was pretty quiet, and the road tended to make up for it.  Riding in the sunshine was great fun, even if the cobbled sections tend to rattle your eyeballs out.

34.9km before work.  I will be riding to a meeting at lunchtime, and then home tonight.  It will be a 60km day by the end. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5594 on: 12 May, 2011, 09:53:16 am »
Ham, good to read you're back on the bike.  :thumbsup:

Last night and this morning were nice commutes.  Yes, there a few instances of less than exemplary driving, but nothing life immediately threatening.

Also, I've decide I will NOT be cutting down the huge replacement bars on my commute.   [pauses for effect]   Took the bike to the LBS this morning for a trim... and spotted they have in stock bars like those that snapped (but without the built-in fail points).  So I asked them to put one behind the counter for me to pick up this evening and I'll do a bar swap when I get home.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5595 on: 12 May, 2011, 09:56:18 am »
What are you going to use the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide ones for?
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5596 on: 12 May, 2011, 10:01:47 am »
The plan is to flog 'em.

If I can get what I'm paying for the straight ones I'll be happy.  I could have just cut them down, but the curves mean I lose real estate in comparison to straight bars.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5597 on: 12 May, 2011, 10:05:28 am »
You should get a fair bit selling such a length of metal for scrap ;)
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5598 on: 12 May, 2011, 10:51:49 am »
When I got my bike computer out of my bag this morning, the display was set to show max speed, for which it had recorded 135km/h.

Either I went faster than I realised on my last ride or it was in the same pocket of my bag as something magnetic.

Annoyingly, it only occurred to me after I'd reset it that I should have taken a picture.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5599 on: 12 May, 2011, 10:59:55 am »
When I got my bike computer out of my bag this morning, the display was set to show max speed, for which it had recorded 135km/h.

mrs.jogler once enjoyed a similar statistic when scrolling thru at a pub stop.
It was programmed for a 26" wheel but was mounted on a 20" wheeled bike ;D