Author Topic: Cyclists with super bright death ray front lights  (Read 20092 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Cyclists with super bright death ray front lights
« Reply #50 on: 13 November, 2008, 05:22:42 pm »
Interestingly most of those on here talking about irritation from other cyclists' bright lights have made no comment on that irritation affecting their own riding.  That means to me that it's just irritation, and that the other cyclist has done a good job of being seen and *noticed*.
I rather think 'irritation' is shorthand for incandescent (sic) with a mixture of rage and envy that on the one hand I'm being dazzled by twats running poorly set lights and on the other hand that I'd quite like a set of lights like that myself.

So yes, the selfish b****ds have done a good job in being seen and *noticed*.

« Reply #51 on: 13 November, 2008, 05:34:05 pm »
I have a cheap (because a new one had come out) cateye on the bars. It isn't quite bright enough to see sticks and holes in dark lanes at 20km/h, but scatters wide enough to get me seen and balances well with my helmet mounted Fenix. I use that on low-ish beam in town: i don't need it to see by and flashing it up at a car has always got me noticed so far. On lanes I go to a brighter setting. I've yet to have the luxury of night vision unspoiled by car lights (astronomy experience tells me that takes 20 minutes to fully develop). My rides have very mixed road lighting and speeds so easy changes in brightness and how far ahead I point (but always down unless mimicing a flashing car headlight) were part of my plan.

On the back I have two pretty cheap lights, for redundancy and because I think two lights are more noticeable than one bigger light. I'd have another light on the front if I could fit it on the bars.

I don't use flashing lights as I find it hard to judge speed and distance so well with them, so I assume others do too.

To that I add a hi-viz / scotchlight vest, ankle bands and wrist bands, which helps on the being seen front. The ankle bands do roughly what a flashing light does, I think.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 13 November, 2008, 05:38:15 pm »
I notice that our most prolific night time rider, Mr Teethgrinder, manages quite well with a £10 Tesco LED torch

It's a very impressive £10 torch and way beyond the EL530 et al.

Is that the 5W LED torch?  Can't find it listed anywhere.
Andy,
I bought one at YOUR local branch, couple of months ago!
(It's a horrible place, but stocks a lot of these useful bits and bobs)

Online info was a bit ambiguous.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #53 on: 13 November, 2008, 06:18:38 pm »
First is when One is proceeding quickly at night and a well lit fellow Randonneur gets on one's wheel. I can now see none of the road ahead due to the halo of dazzlingly bright white light surrounding a huge black 'Damon-shaped' hole. Attempts to sprint off into the night are hampered by now invisible potholes.
Scenario B is experienced on 'out and back' rides, PBP and LEL. One is proceeding homeward and other riders are in a group coming towards one, they have all these really bright lights and then they look at you with their super-bright LED head-torch. Cue excursion onto verge.

Agree absolutely.  This is why I cannot go on group rides at night.  I think the problem is that lights most suited to offroad use (i.e cone shaped beams) are being used on the road.  Then, because so much light is wasted, even more power is needed to get decent penetration.  I use an old 5W halogen bulb in an old E3 housing which gives  a long narrow beam (not to everybodies taste) but more to the point with a cutoff shape suited to the road.  This enables me to ride at about 20 mph (32 kph for those who don't do imperial) in the lanes and I seldom get home from an evening ride with less than 30mph showing as a max.  I think that in towns and cities a brighter light is needed because of the competition from motor vehicles, shops etc; but in dark lanes I do not think so much is needed.

I think things will catch up with us.  If too many people use very bright lights with no control to the beam pattern then I think there will be  a clampdown.  Imagine what the roads would be like if motor vehicles had lights with simple conical beams; pretty dire I'd say.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #54 on: 13 November, 2008, 06:30:53 pm »
Elephant in the room.

Fogwits.

The brightness of a cycle light is swamped by the brash presentation given by a flirting Fogwit.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #55 on: 13 November, 2008, 07:06:44 pm »
I notice that our most prolific night time rider, Mr Teethgrinder, manages quite well with a £10 Tesco LED torch

It's a very impressive £10 torch and way beyond the EL530 et al.

Is that the 5W LED torch?  Can't find it listed anywhere.
Andy,
I bought one at YOUR local branch, couple of months ago!
(It's a horrible place, but stocks a lot of these useful bits and bobs)

Online info was a bit ambiguous.

Insulta ma Tescos and...  ;D  Horrible, but useful at least.  Waitrose is good, like shopping in a library, but more pricey, and without the deals tokens...  ;)

Are we talking about the head torch, if not, how does Mr Teethgrinder attach it, I wonder?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #56 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:18:46 am »
The only time I've been seriously annoyed by someone's death-ray front light was just after the final control on the 2007 Chiltern-Cotswold.  Fortunately, we soon came to a hill and Mr O'Tea buggered off into the distance :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:36:12 am »
Are we talking about the head torch, if not, how does Mr Teethgrinder attach it, I wonder?

No, it's the AA torch he uses at the moment.  Ziptied to a recycled front light bracket from a long-lost Cateye style light.  Looks like it works really well.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #58 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:43:25 am »
Roughly equivalent to the Fenix, I believe?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #59 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:50:11 am »
The only time I've been seriously annoyed by someone's death-ray front light was just after the final control on the 2007 Chiltern-Cotswold.  Fortunately, we soon came to a hill and Mr O'Tea buggered off into the distance :P

Surely not my Solidlights with their "gentle wash of light" [TM Mal Volio]?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #60 on: 14 November, 2008, 10:01:36 am »

Zipperhead and I were using our torches at the firework display we went to last week and the Tesco unit isn't nearly as good as the Fenix.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #61 on: 14 November, 2008, 10:06:11 am »

Zipperhead and I were using our torches at the firework display we went to last week and the Tesco unit isn't nearly as good as the Fenix.

Yes, I heard they were only almost as good, now you're doing a great job of making me feel OK on my £40 each purchase of the Fenix's!!!

Now I just want some airlites, LOL.

rr

« Reply #62 on: 14 November, 2008, 11:38:17 am »
I think the Tesco 3W AA is inferior to either light on my twin 6W Smart lights.

« Reply #63 on: 14 November, 2008, 12:43:10 pm »
[There's no legal maximum for bike lights, so we are free to go as disco-tastic as we like.

Really? I remember buying a pair of Sigmas for my Cyclo-x in France just a few years ago and the brighter of the two had an EC type note to say it was not permitted on the road. It was VERY bright.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #64 on: 14 November, 2008, 01:01:06 pm »
AFAIK there are no restrictions on power for bike lights in BRITAIN, but there certainly are in Germany.  See, for example http://www.supernova-lights.com/shop/show_product.php?products_id=107
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #65 on: 14 November, 2008, 01:10:05 pm »
I've got a Smart something or other with twin lamps. They throw out an enormous amount of light on full whack, but I'm not sure it's that annoying piercing type of beam. I've noticed motorists nearly always dip their headlights when I'm using those on country lanes - perhaps because they think I'm on a motorbike which automatically moves me up the food chain significantly in their minds.

Those painfully bright lights with a really concentrated beam can be a pain...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #66 on: 14 November, 2008, 01:13:41 pm »
Dinottes.  Get one.  They melt cars!   ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tiger

« Reply #67 on: 14 November, 2008, 03:48:17 pm »
Off on the Fnrtcc tonite. I expect there will be the usual arms race lights in the bunch.  A dinotte behind usually means cycling into a black hole. A dinotte rear light in front really is a problem as it is completely blinding. And as for the inconsiderates who will leave flashers on while riding in group...

« Reply #68 on: 14 November, 2008, 03:54:28 pm »
In these cases I'm a fan of being upfront and open about the problem it presents, rather than storing up bile to be vented later on an internet forum.

« Reply #69 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:02:47 pm »
In these cases I'm a fan of being upfront and open about the problem it presents, rather than storing up bile to be vented later on an internet forum.

Agreed. One poster commented that I had cycled past him at great speed (for me!) on one road. I admitted, good humouredly, that his rear light had been burning my eyes and I was trying to get past it. He pointed it down a bit more. Problem solved, everybody happy. No need for bile etc. It didn't upset me really, it was more of a challenge  ;D

I hope my flashing Cateye doesn't upset anyone (it's not annoyingly bright, at least I don't think other people's are), but I often find myself cycling along almost alone on dark roads on the FNRttCs (not the fastest, but not the slowest so as to be with the TEC either) so tend to leave one on constant and one on flashing.

And I always quite liked being near people with the super front lights, except they were always the bloody fast ones too so I was usually nowhere near them  ;D

Tiger

« Reply #70 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:20:27 pm »

Actually I just go and buy bigger lights. I like the lighting arms race - it is quite entertaining.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #71 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:23:18 pm »

Actually I just go and buy bigger lights. I like the lighting arms race - it is quite entertaining.

Don't you mean enlightening?  ;D ;D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #72 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:25:59 pm »
Dinottes have Full, Half and 1/8th settings. The latter is quite fine for riding in a group.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #73 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:33:05 pm »
What I find strange is the number of people who think that LED light batteries should be almost everlasting, and so leave them in even when the superbright output has diminished to a dim glow.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Tiger

« Reply #74 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:39:15 pm »
What I find strange is the number of people who think that LED light batteries should be almost everlasting, and so leave them in even when the superbright output has diminished to a dim glow.

Reminds me - must buy new death beam batteries for tonite!