Author Topic: How angry should you get with errant car drivers?  (Read 11282 times)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
How angry should you get with errant car drivers?
« on: 14 May, 2008, 10:19:44 am »
I guess I have around 1 or 2 incidents per ride on average. Usually in the urban areas, but not always. There are 3 levels of anger I have:

1. A smile and a condescending wave.
For cars just being a bit inconsiderate, cutting in too close, or generally forcing limited evasive action.

2. An expletive.
People who actually cause real evasive action, such as turning right (left in the UK) in front of you.

3. Chase driver and have words.
Reserved for close calls which could have resulted in crash and injury.

To be honest I wish I could just stick to level 1 whatever the incident, I find myself using level 2 far too often. I did have a level 3 the other day. I don't think they can be avoided, if someone potentially could have killed you, you need to say something.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: How angry should you get with errant car drivers?
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:26:10 am »
Blow them a kiss?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:40:32 am »
When Imprezza Guy came past Greenbank and me, horn blaring, on the A413 dual section of the Severn Across the other week, I (rather stupidly) made the internationally recognised sign for Tosser. On went his brake lights, and he pulled up ahead. I thought we were in for a bundle - but he must have thought better of it (we were at the front of a large group of other riders) and drove off.

All well and good, but as has been pointed out to me by several folk since, it might have turned out bad for a lone cyclist that Imprezza Guy passed later on.

It's better to do nothing; if you must do something, wave like you know them - in a friendly, smiley manner.

True danger needs to be reported to the Police, preferably with a Reg number and one or more witnesses, and no interaction with the perpetrator is necessary.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:43:49 am »
I guess I have around 1 or 2 incidents per ride on average. Usually in the urban areas, but not always. There are 3 levels of anger I have:

For cars just being a bit inconsiderate, cutting in too close, or generally forcing limited evasive action.

2. An expletive.
People who actually cause real evasive action, such as turning right (left in the UK) in front of you.

To be honest I wish I could just stick to level 1 whatever the incident, I find myself using level 2 far too often. I did have a level 3 the other day. I don't think they can be avoided, if someone potentially could have killed you, you need to say something.

I have some Italian blood in me so try to keep telling myself I am a lover not a fighter, so if you had a number zero then I try to be just that.

When it is just me I am actually quite good at level zero and just let the whole episode pass me by, as 1-3 end up stressing me out more than I can be bothered with these days so I normally let it go as it does me more harm than good. It is when others are involved I find my tolerance is lower, my girlfriend had a car overtake her then immediately turn left, after picking her up off the floor and making sure she was in one piece I confess I couldn't care less that the driver felt they had the right of way because that just happened to be their driveway!

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:48:59 am »
You are right Paul, thanks, I really want to eliminate the level 2s and just stick to level 1 or lower! Maybe its the hot weather, but I seem to be getting worse, and I want to nip it in the bud!

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:01:05 am »
You are right Paul, thanks, I really want to eliminate the level 2s and just stick to level 1 or lower! Maybe its the hot weather, but I seem to be getting worse, and I want to nip it in the bud!
I have to say it works, something to be said for rising above such episodes and realising that to an extent a negative has been turned into a positive.

I also like to have the odds in my favour so am inclined in traffic to ride defensive as apposed to aggressive, after all a rider will nearly always come off second best in an accident, when  nursing some nasty injuries it can be little consolation that the rider happens to be in the right.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:08:24 am »
Try one of the "reporting sites" on the web. They enable you to share the information, vent your spleen, and if you like you can inform the driver where their latest display of skills is posted....

http://www.baddriving.com/

http://www.betterdrivingplease.com/

http://www.myroadrage.co.uk/

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:10:14 am »

2. An expletive.

I get level 3 angry, but it's very very rare that I'll actually have words.  I only really interact with bad drivers is when they speak to me first.

Level 2 - I tend to mutter my expletives.

Can I have a level 1.5?  I don't usually have the presence of mind to summon up inventive swearing so for actual turning across me / reversing into me / passing too close I tend to use "OI!" or "WHOA!" just to get their attention.  Then ride off muttering the inventive swear words.

I try to react to horns / shouting at me by waving as though I know them, on the basis that I'm riding perfectly legally so the person hooting or shouting must be a friend acknowledging me and nothing more. 

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:26:40 am »
Get a helmet cam and post it on YouTube.
It is simpler than it looks.

Pete

« Reply #9 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:38:34 am »
I thought so too, once, but I have my doubts as to the wisdom of this, now.  Repercussions from Magnatom's experiences (mainly posted on Cyclechat) make one think...

« Reply #10 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:41:44 am »
There weren't any repercussions, apart from some bullies giving it verbal (well typed) on the internet.

As for me, I'd rather not get angry, but I do like to ask the drivers questions in a way that tries gets a positive response.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:47:21 am »
As for me, I'd rather not get angry, but I do like to ask the drivers questions in a way that tries gets a positive response.

I'm not quick-witted enough to do that most of the time, but I don't think that doing nothing is always the best response. Drivers do need to be made aware, there and then, of their awful driving; the knack is to do it without it becoming confrontational.

The problem is, most of them seem to think that they are good drivers, so don't understand why someone is acting towards them that way, so they get aggressive/defensive ("I was nowhere near him, what's he giving me the finger for?").

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:51:52 am »
I'm not quick-witted enough to do that most of the time, but I don't think that doing nothing is always the best response. Drivers do need to be made aware, there and then, of their awful driving; the knack is to do it without it becoming confrontational.
Yes that is a valid point, but this does take time effort and energy which to achieve the best results all parties need to be in the right frame of mind, to an extent at the time of the incident it is both the best and the worst of times for such an exchange.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Jakob

« Reply #13 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:52:20 am »
A lady coming out from a side road seriously misjudged the speed I was going (I was bombing it a bit) and I had to brake rather sharply as she pulled out. I jump back on it and pulled up next to them (2 of them in the car, chatting and smoking) and said "Thank you, that was very kind of you" and before they could really reply,  they hit traffic and I zoomed ahead.

ian

« Reply #14 on: 14 May, 2008, 12:09:52 pm »
Generally, number 1: I have a grandiose WTF gesture reserved for whenever a driver does something unabashedly stupid. It's non-confrontational, but hopefully gives drivers pause for thought. Confrontation, I suspect, just reinforces a driver's bad perception of cyclists and tends to escalate. Even a genuine mistake degenerates into a slanging match.

On the rare few occasions when it has led to confrontation it's been accidental (a case of meeting up at the next junction) and one sided (me). Usually, the driver then dangerously flings themselves into traffic or they sit steadfastly looking dead ahead and refuse to acknowledge me.

It's best, ideally, not to get too het up. There are stupid people. And one of the benefits of being stupid is that they don't realise they're stupid. Appraising them of their true situation, alas, only results in brief self-satisfaction.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 14 May, 2008, 12:13:16 pm »
I thought so too, once, but I have my doubts as to the wisdom of this, now.  Repercussions from Magnatom's experiences (mainly posted on Cyclechat) make one think...

It can be done anonymously.
It is simpler than it looks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #16 on: 14 May, 2008, 12:20:30 pm »
I guess I have around 1 or 2 incidents per ride on average. Usually in the urban areas, but not always.

Bloody hell, where do you ride, Basra? 

I suggest that your threshold for annoyance may be too low.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #17 on: 14 May, 2008, 12:28:06 pm »

What happened? (Got a link to the topic on Cyclechat?)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #18 on: 14 May, 2008, 12:29:04 pm »
I believe that dragging drivers from their metal cages and beating them senseless with baseball bats should be a lawful act.

It's the only way they'll learn, y'know...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #19 on: 14 May, 2008, 12:43:01 pm »
I guess I have around 1 or 2 incidents per ride on average. Usually in the urban areas, but not always.

No worse than Basra, Paris  ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 14 May, 2008, 12:58:25 pm »

I did have a level 3 the other day. I don't think they can be avoided, if someone potentially could have killed you, you need to say something.
Option 1 is the best way to go for your own benefit.

However, there is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself against people who are either bullies, or don't realise the harm/risk they bring to others.
At the same time, NONE of us have any responsibility to make other road users less dangerous.

So if you fancy a 3, go for it - right is on your side. Just don't expect it to make your life any easier!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 14 May, 2008, 01:03:42 pm »
worse than Basra, Paris  ;)

All is made clear.  :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #22 on: 14 May, 2008, 01:22:46 pm »

Thinks hard about today's commute in:-

1. Van dithering in the middle of a vehicle-and-a-half width road (coming towards me) with driver on the phone. No space to pass it on the left so I nipped past it on its right. 50m later (and the end of the road) I looked back and it was still dithering in the middle of the road, but further up. He's just driving at 5mph in the middle of the road whilst on the phone.

2. Just after that, first Lemming of the morning launches off the kerb into the road without looking but I'd expected it and I passed on the other side of the road giving them at least 1m space. I could see the surprise on his face when I looked back.

3. Turning right from a side road onto a busyish road and I'm waiting for the traffic to clear so I can pull out. Traffic lights 20m to my left turn red and the traffic from my right is slowing down for lights and a queue is forming. Queue at lights now as far back as the edge of the road I'm on and I've got a lovely bit of road marked "KEEP CLEAR" infront of me to pull out into. Except that a car decides this doesn't apply to it and pulls up right behind the car infront, completely blocking exit from this side road, despite traffic lights still being red. I scooted up infront of him (had to life the bike over a bit of kerb), shake head at driver, check for motorbikes coming down the outside of the queue and carry on.

4. Get to traffic lights and about to turn left. ASL filter lane blocked by three scooters. ASL cycle reservoir filled by bus.

5. Lights change and we're off turning left. Car on my right hand side (the 2 left hand lanes both turn left at this junction) decides to cut the corner and I have to brake to avoid being hit or pushed into the kerb. Of course the car ends up in the right hand lane again soon after the corner. Shake head at driver as I pass him.

Oh I can't be arsed. That's all in the first mile of an 8 mile commute, the left turn in #5 was onto Putney Bridge and I work on South Bank near Waterloo.

All of those were comfortably level 1 on the list above but it's hardly ever a trouble free bimble into work.

Jakob

« Reply #23 on: 14 May, 2008, 01:40:11 pm »
With the exception of No.2 (I don't know how close it was), I wouldn't call any of those 'incidents'.

« Reply #24 on: 14 May, 2008, 01:41:54 pm »
#5 you mean? Much more serious than the others.