Author Topic: Cycle mounted weaponry  (Read 7300 times)

Tiger

Cycle mounted weaponry
« on: 30 May, 2008, 09:08:43 am »
What is the best sort of weaponry to mount for easy access and deployment when needed?
Heavy thingsa like lump hammers carry a weight disadvantage, while light things like pumps may not carry enough stopping power. I am currently considering chemical options, with paint stripper spray bottle toppping the stealth league.
Anyone got any experience in this delicate area? Obviously any weaponry has to be street legal.
Clearly different situations require different types of ordnance - from anti personnel defemce and deterrent through to the 'smart-bomb' stealth weapon attack in revenge mode.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Cycle mounted weaponry
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:15:25 am »
Are we talking 'Zombocalypse Now!' or day to day practicality?

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:15:40 am »
130dB rape alarm (one with the smelly gas propellant) - just lob it into an offending car.

Someone recently posted a link to some nice cattle prods - good for top tube storage and deployment. If you are squeamish about using one on a chav person, I still wonder what the effects on the car would be if you were to prod the aerial; at least you might blow an inline fuse to the stereo.

My cousin can get me grenade style (wiv a pin and evryfink)  dye bombs like the ones security guards use in cash boxes.

Mmmm... you've got my Friday brayne churning over options now...

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:17:32 am »
I've always rather hankered after a high pressure fine nozzled grease deployment gun.

No criminal damage would be done when used.

Plus, with a bit of dexterity, you could write whatever you wanted on the side of the relevant cage.
Rust never sleeps

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:21:51 am »
Water bottle with a nice strong mix of Head and Shoulders. That stuff burns when you get it in your eyes. Just spray at the offender. Good for courtroom defence should you get sued for assault - "He attacked me with shampoo M'lud" just doesn't cut it.

Just don't get it confused with your actual water bottle  :sick:.

Tiger

« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:27:14 am »
I am thinking about gluing rough emery paper patches on side of gloves - for vehicle stroking after nasty behaviour. Sort of thing one could do at the next lights...

It is a war out there chpas and we need to be prepared. Keep those ideas coming!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:30:04 am »
A long time ago (Embra 20+ years ago) I was told (therefore it's probably a lie) of a friend of a friend who used to carry a small crowbar and that this crowbar could be used to good effect on the triplex windscreens of the time in the event that said (imaginary?) friend caught up with an 'offending' motorist at a junction.

I liked the idea, but even a small crowbar is quite heavy and probably wouldn't cut much ice with laminated windscreens.  Leaving aside laying yourself open to charges of criminal damage...

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:31:54 am »
I am thinking about gluing rough emery paper patches on side of gloves
All very well until you go to wipe the snot off your face during a particularly hard ride...  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Tiger

« Reply #8 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:32:32 am »
I've always rather hankered after a high pressure fine nozzled grease deployment gun.

No criminal damage would be done when used.

Plus, with a bit of dexterity, you could write whatever you wanted on the side of the relevant cage.

Where are these guns available? What is the effective squirt range?  

« Reply #9 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:36:45 am »
This guy ain't messin' about...

gonzo

« Reply #10 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:39:34 am »
There was a bike sold a while back with a handlebar mounted water cannon thing and the tank was pressured by pedalling. Fill it with petrol, fix a lighter to it and problem incinerated solved

« Reply #11 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:42:22 am »
A water pistol, but you could get charged with being a terrorist

« Reply #12 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:43:26 am »

I suspect that trying to fire that whilst on wheels, may lead to interesting motion, ie Newton et al would suggest that you would have to learn to cycle backwards very fast!
Actually, it is rocket science.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #13 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:44:18 am »
A water pistol, but you could get charged with being a terrorist

You wouldn't get as far as being charged. They'd just shoot you.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #14 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:45:48 am »
I understand that a paintball gun can be very useful in such circumstances.  And if you're lucky it leaves dents as well!   ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Chris N

« Reply #15 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:48:26 am »
I suspect that trying to fire that whilst on wheels, may lead to interesting motion, ie Newton et al would suggest that you would have to learn to cycle backwards very fast!

Not a problem as they are recoilless - all the gases are exhausted out the back of the tube: Image:AT4 rocket launcher.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

« Reply #16 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:49:58 am »

It's a recoilless rocket launcher, innit?

Just don't fire it while your mates are behind you.

Just wear these:
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #17 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:55:41 am »
An old metal frame pump, with some lead melted into the cap, is just right for proper hand-to-hand.  Or bash it on the roof of a car.  It'll make a noise like the clap of doom, and if you do it repeatedly you'll dent the roof, which I understand can write a car off :o

« Reply #18 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:00:43 am »

It's a rocket, not a gun.  Doh!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #19 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:26:44 am »
A pump like my little aluminium wrench force one has some nice sharp edges. I'm sure these could be adapted to be very effective stress raisers, like the points of an emergency hammer.

And who could get convicted for carrying  a bike pump on a bike?

..d

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:46:02 am »
A friend used to carry automobile wheel bearings hooked over his bars.  Apparently they cracked windscreens when flung, probably would discourage zombies also.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:58:17 am »
Realistically your best defensive weapon is speed.  Flee your foe using your multi-modal powers of confoundment.  Almost anything that you use to fight while riding will involve a sudden and startling de-biking (which reminds me, we need boffer lances for jousting!).  U-lock justice works best at low speed; faster and you'll crack a wrist.

Paintball guns full of paint stripper belong only in the empowerment-fantasy that spawned them.  You'll miss, dissolve the skin from a little old lady, and get shot by the armed police.  They're in the same category as the combat tailwhip.

If de-biked, use the bike as a barrier to enable withdrawal.  Last ditch, throw it into them, bikes are tangly pointy things.  Bikes make interesting impromptu Lochaber axes.

The LAPD Tactical Firearms Guide for Bicycle Officers (I'm not making that up) recommends dismounting with the bike between you and the bad guy, drawing your sidearm and bracing against the bike, using it as a bipod.

One I get my penny-farthing fu up to the level of the Secret Chiefs, I shall be taking advantage of the height with a cavalry sabre.  :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:03:38 am »
We can always depend on Mr Gates for sound advice  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #23 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:04:38 am »
I've been meaning to get a catapult for ages, and learn how to use it.  They would be ideal for fixing to a recumbent bars, preferably with a swivel joint.  "Chavs at 360 , going in, Roger ..."

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:06:14 am »
I've been meaning to get a catapult for ages, and learn how to use it.  They would be ideal for fixing to a recumbent bars, preferably with a swivel joint.  "Chavs at 360 , going in, Roger ..."

<roar of four merlin engines>

"BOMB GONE!"

</roar of four merlin engines>