Author Topic: Bit shaken up this morning.  (Read 6728 times)

Bit shaken up this morning.
« on: 03 June, 2008, 10:14:52 am »

Coming up to Belgrave Square, the road becomes one-way with two lanes (left turn only and straight on). Loads of road users, cyclists and motorists, don't bother to change lanes and just go straight on in the left lane. I always change into the straight on lane, because there are cars waiting to pull out up ahead and if you were in the left-only lane they could, understandably, assume you were turning and pull out in front of you (even though after getting onto the square I move over to the left because I turn left off it).

This morning, one car pulled out in front of me with enough room to spare, fine. But then the WVM followed him, lemming-like, at the last minute. I did a braking/swerving thing in the pouring rain, have no idea how I managed not to come off (everything seemed to slow down) and avoided him by inches, he braked at the last minute, and, laughing, asked if I was ok through the window. I was too shocked to utter anything much, and steered round him, and he overtook me on the right. I gave him an incredulous look as he passed, and him and his mate were both laughing and smiling and waving what might have been an apology. It was the laughing that really upset me, I came so close and they just found it funny.

I felt a right state after that and if it wasn't such awful weather would have pulled over and had a cry (tears are my normal shock reaction). But then in Hyde Park a cyclist was fiddling with his bike upside down, and after initially saying he was ok then admitted he didn't have the right size allen key. I did, so I lent it to him and took a breather while he fixed his bike, it was probably just as well because I felt a bit calmer once I set off again, and he was very grateful that anyone had stopped in the rain.

I normally do the eye contact thing at junctions, but it was pretty hard to do in this weather (my glasses were covered in rain as was his windshield).

Re: Bit shaken up this morning.
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:17:16 am »
Oh I know the junction you mean, I also use it quite often if I take the back route from Vauxhall Bridge to Kensington Gardens.  It bloody annoys me how some people have such bad lane discipline.  Sympathies girl!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:18:54 am »
The laughter might well have been embarrassed laughter as a result of knowing they did something stupid?

Well done on stopping.  In these circumstances I always feel that if you can't make eye contact, fist contact will do... ;)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:48:47 am »
Oh crap - when will these fuckwits realise that they're playing with our lives and it's not a joke?

My personal take on this breed of situation is that you have two choices, ignore it and congratualte yourself on being switched on enough to have avoided injury through your superior spidey-senses.  Or (b), express your anger creatively by inflicting appropriate revenge on their vehicle with something lumpy, pointy or scratchy.

A good, hard clang on the side of their pratmobile with a blunt instrument tends to make them feel your pain a little more acutely, I find.

Glad you're in one piece.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:55:21 am »
Glad you're ok, and well done for stopping to help out.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

Elleigh

« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:58:32 am »
That's a scary story and I am not surprised you are shaken.  How are you feeling now?

« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2008, 11:20:35 am »
There seem to be many more dented vehicles in London than there used to be. It could be falling driving standards, or simply the amount of traffic. It reinforces the need to ride defensively.

« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2008, 11:34:56 am »
Thank you for all the support  :thumbsup:

I don't trust any vehicle I see waiting at a junction, it is always in the back of my mind that they could pull out. I watch their wheels etc. But this guy waited til I was almost on top of him and went for it. It is the first time it's happened there in the year I have used the route, probably because my position makes me easy to see being as I'm in the right bloody lane unlike half the vehicles. The vast majority of drivers see me and wait.

I wish I'd made more of a fuss or a scene now. I could have justifed thumping his vehicle as defending myself, it was so close. As it was, he probably won't think twice about what he nearly did because I didn't give him a hard time. But I was too shocked to react in that way, absolutely all my energy went into slowing the bike safely and swerving it around without going down (and the roads were covered in diesel). I should have at least let out a bloodcurdling scream.  ::-)

« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2008, 12:01:21 pm »
On a happier note, anyway:

On the way home yesterday there was an Evans Evans coach behind me (I live just over the river from Victoria, and am always getting buzzed by coaches who can't overtake properly - one reason I no longer use Vauxhall Bridge southbound).

This guy overtook me and the cyclist in front of me perfectly, crossing the dotted white line (straight road) and leaving plenty of space before pulling back in.

It was the best coach overtake I have ever seen, so I took the reg and when I got in I sent an email to Evans Evans saying so (and how much of a difference it makes etc), asking for it to be passed to the driver.

Just got an email back saying thanks so much for taking the time to write and my comments would be passed on to the manager. So hopefully that particular driver will continue to drive like a decent human being.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2008, 12:03:10 pm »
The laughter might well have been embarrassed laughter as a result of knowing they did something stupid?

Well done on stopping.  In these circumstances I always feel that if you can't make eye contact, fist contact will do... ;)

Probably true on the laughter thing

Oh and an open hand makes noise but does not damage.

« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2008, 12:10:35 pm »
I also think the laughter was an admission of fault.

Well done in avoiding the impact/falling off.  Well done on stopping to help another.

In reading all the comments re road positioning/usual attitude/rain on glasses/etc it seems to me as though there's nothing you did wrong and nothing to be ashamed of.  It wasn't a near miss, but a total miss (albeit a near hit); and just one of those things that happens to all experienced cyclists now and again.

« Reply #11 on: 03 June, 2008, 12:24:20 pm »

I wish I'd made more of a fuss or a scene now. I could have justifed thumping his vehicle as defending myself, it was so close. As it was, he probably won't think twice about what he nearly did because I didn't give him a hard time. But I was too shocked to react in that way, absolutely all my energy went into slowing the bike safely and swerving it around without going down (and the roads were covered in diesel). I should have at least let out a bloodcurdling scream.  ::-)

Oh, don't be daft! I don't think there's any correct way to react to this, beyond not getting squished. And you didn't get squished. When I've had similar things happen, I don't have any spare brain power to spend yelling at people, and I'm fairly sure that if I did, I'd just end up shakier afterwards. I really do not like conflict. You're ok - that's the important thing.

« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2008, 02:11:25 pm »
Yes, you've definately come out best by managing to stop and avoiding a confrontation. 

The last few times something similar has happened to me and I've angrily confronted the driver, I've just been told to "F**k off....you shouldn't be on the road....I pay my road tax, etc etc".  All the usual drivel.  The last time I hit a car with my fist (a taxi) I was told I'd be run over next time and called all sorts of expletive-prefixed names.  These people only care about themselves.

I think confrontation only works if you can be calm and composed about it.   

« Reply #13 on: 03 June, 2008, 02:21:26 pm »
Sorry to hear that. Hope you're feeling less shaken (know the feeling well).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 03 June, 2008, 05:33:58 pm »

Probably true on the laughter thing

Oh and an open hand makes noise but does not damage.
... apart from leaving a very red cheek.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #15 on: 03 June, 2008, 07:18:38 pm »
If it were me, I would have shouted when I realise that the van was pulling out. Chances are, that they will stop. They have often seen you but underestimate your speed and shouting just alerts them to the fact that something is wrong, or it just wakes them up. It often works and if it did, then you would most likely have more room to get around them.
I wouldn't bother even looking back at them once I've passed them. I hope to give the impression to them that they are just another hazzard that I have to avoid. Sometimes, If I can see it coming and they start to pull out and I can slow right down, I will slow right down, even if they are watching me and are half way out of the junction. I watch them very carefully making eye contact and regarding them very suspiciously to give the impression that I no longer trust them. It's just a way of putting them down without using words as if to say that I get idiots like you every day, you are just another hazard I have to avoid.
I don't know if it makes them pay better attention next time, but I can hope. I never get any comeback though and am usualy given a wide berth if they catch me.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #16 on: 03 June, 2008, 07:39:06 pm »

Hmm.

I'm not sure they sounded like they'd wait around for a good fisting?
It is simpler than it looks.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #17 on: 03 June, 2008, 07:44:15 pm »
You done good girl not getting squidged- I have given up shouting swearing, reasoned calm argument, whacking vehicles even whacking individuals (yes I did it once many years ago when a guy leapt out of his car at the traffic lights after he'd come so close to me I thumped his car with my fist.  I swung at  him with my bag, out of fear really and amazingly he fell over! and then I took of as fast as I could through a red light. And now after 30 odd years of London riding, I just follow Paddington's example- one hard stare and then I'm off, because I firmly believe anything more is just wasted energy and I have better things to do with my time.
Keep safe
Jane
PS looking forward to the norfolk trip

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 03 June, 2008, 08:23:52 pm »
Well done staying on board - and well done too for reporting good driving - we need to do some positive reinforcement too.

So glad you're undamaged.
Getting there...

« Reply #19 on: 04 June, 2008, 10:22:35 am »
When I feel my life is in danger and I'm trying to save myself, it seems it's not my instinct to shout or scream, although I'm sure a scream might have helped wake him up (I used to have a bad spider phobia that made me scream involuntarily, and my flatmates said it 'went right through them'!). I think I just kind of froze with fear yesterday, which is not a good thing to do.

Lately drivers also seem to be 'creeping' a lot - say they are waiting to turn right in front of me and I see their wheels start moving slowly - I do slow right down and stare at them. I don't know if that helps get the message across that it is NOT ok to start creeping into my path, however slowly.

Also looking forward to the Norfolk trip, hopefully it will be much more relaxing cycling.

« Reply #20 on: 04 June, 2008, 10:47:53 am »
When I feel my life is in danger and I'm trying to save myself, it seems it's not my instinct to shout or scream...

Think if it in the same way as you'd sound your horn in a car - an audible warning.

« Reply #21 on: 05 June, 2008, 08:36:48 pm »
Also looking forward to the Norfolk trip, hopefully it will be much more relaxing cycling.

After some of the experiences I read on this forum about cycling in London, it would be a toss up between London and Afghanistan as to which I would chose for the least frightening experience. :o

« Reply #22 on: 05 June, 2008, 08:50:44 pm »
After some of the experiences I read on this forum about cycling in London, it would be a toss up between London and Afghanistan as to which I would chose for the least frightening experience. :o

I think it may just be an effect of lots of people on this forum being in London, so you hear more stories.  When I lived in Cheltenham I had far more, and closer calls than I've ever had in London.

Drivers in London seem more likely to expect cyclists, and don't always expect us to be moving at a snails pace.  The average traffic speed is also lower, although that's partially a function of the higher traffic density.

There are probably more really big roads in London, than most towns and cities, and they are often difficult to avoid, and the traffic levels can stay higher for longer periods of time.

I think overall that I feel safer cycling in London than I did living in what is supposedly a relatively quiet "nice" town.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #23 on: 05 June, 2008, 09:11:21 pm »
Drivers in London seem more likely to expect cyclists, and don't always expect us to be moving at a snails pace.  The average traffic speed is also lower, although that's partially a function of the higher traffic density.

There are probably more really big roads in London, than most towns and cities, and they are often difficult to avoid, and the traffic levels can stay higher for longer periods of time.

I think overall that I feel safer cycling in London than I did living in what is supposedly a relatively quiet "nice" town.

Aha! there speaketh a man from Essex, land of the GTI*
The wilds of Essex can be bad territory and I think that cycling in London is much better than it was ten years ago. Essex does seem to be full of angry people. Especially in the south.

*Anagram of, "git," would you believe.

« Reply #24 on: 05 June, 2008, 09:21:15 pm »
I think the only time I've been to Essex was on the FNRttC to Southend a couple of months back (I think you have to pass through Essex to get to Southend, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Cheltenham on the other hand, which is in Gloucestershire is generally pretty normal, aside from a couple of areas (Whaddon and Springbank pop to mind).
Actually, it is rocket science.