Author Topic: I've just been egged. Sympathy please.  (Read 5798 times)

Re: I've just been egged. Sympathy please.
« Reply #25 on: 08 June, 2008, 05:35:13 am »
In the Pool they don't buy the ammunition you know? ::-)
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #26 on: 08 June, 2008, 08:49:39 am »
So... eggs, sausages... they're slowly throwing breakfast at us!

Mmmm, I don't s'pose they could run to a vegan alternative.

« Reply #27 on: 08 June, 2008, 10:03:34 am »
Sorry to hear that Phil. Apologies from a Liverpool native,  I'm afraid the place seems to have more than it's fair share of dickheads.  And we call them scallys, not chavs!

Was that going around Sefton Park ?  I've had some verbal abuse around there as well but nothing thrown at me.

Riding back from there the other night along Princes Avenue some lads kicked out the plexiglass from a bus shelter right in front of me, I had to swerve to avoid it.

PS are you the chap on a yellow fixie I've seen around a few times ?

That's me, well spotted! And it was Sefton Park, yes - I've not had any other problem there, apart from a run-in with a cabbie nearly two years ago. 

I quite like cycling in Liverpool.  I've had the odd problem with kids, but it's almost all limited to one road, and it's only really a problem in the winter.  The drivers are mostly friendly and the buses aren't nearly as murderous as the London ones. 

I saw you trackstanding at the pedestrian crossing by the Uni sports centre last week & thought I recognised you from photos on here. Next time I'll say hello.

I've had a few things thrown at me in the past, the scariest though was some idiot in a car with one of those high powered waterpistols. They got me in the ear, I nearly came off, this was going around the Childwall Fiveways roundabout.  >:(

For future avoidance what's the road you've had trouble on ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #28 on: 08 June, 2008, 01:18:24 pm »
Lawrence Road.  I'm living round there next month though, so I'll probably get used to it. 

The water pistol incident sounds horrible - the Fiveways is bad enough without some goon doing that to you.  I always seem to take the wrong exit off there ???

« Reply #29 on: 08 June, 2008, 06:50:05 pm »
My sympathies...

Slightly OT, but with the water pistol episodes....

There are numerous cases where water pistols have been mistaken by Police or bystanders as "real guns"

Now if you are shocked and concerned at being threatened with "what you thought was a gun" this is an easy mistake to make.

Imgine the ocupant's faces when an armed unit stops the car....

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #30 on: 08 June, 2008, 06:53:11 pm »
My sympathies...

Slightly OT, but with the water pistol episodes....

There are numerous cases where water pistols have been mistaken by Police or bystanders as "real guns"

Now if you are shocked and concerned at being threatened with "what you thought was a gun" this is an easy mistake to make.

Imgine the ocupant's faces when an armed unit stops the car....

Yebbut. I /was/ shot at with a gun[1] and the police, although helpful, didn't send out the guys with guns as I'd hoped.

[1] OK, an airpistol but I didn't emphasise the "air" bit to the police.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #31 on: 08 June, 2008, 07:29:53 pm »
I have raced at Sefton Park, my sympathy, I was hit by a Macdonalds milk shake once

That's probably better for you than drinking it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #32 on: 08 June, 2008, 10:23:58 pm »
There is an apocryphal story about the Royal Marines when serving in Iraq.

Asked about their service the reply was something along the lines of...

"A bit like a night ut in Plymouth, but the locals are less aggressive."

(insert city of choice)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #33 on: 08 June, 2008, 10:45:07 pm »
I couldn't believe how awful bits of Plymouth were when we stayed there in ... God, it was 1992! Really scruffy and run-down. I remember on our first day there Linford Christie winning an Olympic Gold. I went into a Chinese restaurant for a takeaway and I was quite shocked at the level of racism a couple of old boys came out with, directed a Linford, while I was there. In 17 years teaching in the scruffiest schools in Southend I had never heard anything to match it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #34 on: 08 June, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »
There is an apocryphal story about the Royal Marines when serving in Iraq.

Asked about their service the reply was something along the lines of...

"A bit like a night ut in Plymouth, but the locals are less aggressive."

(insert city of choice)

It's not apocryphal, I saw it on the news channel. They asked some navy bloke how Basra compared to Portsmouth and he said "there's no beer, the prostitutes are ugly and the locals are trying to kill us - it's more like Plymouth."

ETA: or they might have asked him how Basra compared to Southampton and he said it was more like Portsmouth. I can't remember. I definitely saw it on the news channel though.

Snowgoose

« Reply #35 on: 08 June, 2008, 11:16:15 pm »
My son went to Plymouth University he loved it and the City, however he did encounter a fair amount of chavism particularly on sunny days on the Hoe when said chavs would hurl them selves into the sea from the highest vantage points they could find. I did watch them once and I had to admire their bottle though, no way that I would have tried it, but it was quite spectacular to watch. More OT; I've been hit by a lit cigarette thrown from a bus this was far more preferable than the number of times I've been struck by vehicles or parts there of though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: 08 June, 2008, 11:34:11 pm »
Phil, I'm late in on this; sorry to hear about this Liverpudlian chavism.

The little I know about egging is:
Asda once sold eggs specifically for throwing as Halloween 'Trick or Treat' things.
I read a report in the Emergency Medicine Journal of a sight-threatening eye injury from egging; I don't think the problem was from the shell.

Specs/goggles are possibly useful eye protection.

Hope you don't encounter too many more chavs.

gonzo

« Reply #37 on: 09 June, 2008, 03:11:28 pm »
I had this problem a couple of months back, someone from a 30mph car threw an egg at me. Got me in the side of the face about 2 inches back from the eye.

Difference was, I was walking at the time.

The real pain though, was getting egg out of my clothes as it's protein based and even dry-cleaners can't help much with that.

« Reply #38 on: 09 June, 2008, 03:20:57 pm »
I got egged a few years ago. I was walking towards the crossing of a busy junction when I was awoken from my autopilot trance by something whacking me on the chest. It wasn't too bad as I was wearing a kind of slippery winter jacket and as I lent forward it just sort of all slid off onto the pavement.

I have absolutely no idea where it came from - must have been a car as there was nobody else around on foot. I'm quite glad I didn't see the site of a bunch of grinning chavs. So I just wiped it down some tissue and when I got home just wiped it down with a damp cloth. Wore it for ages before I actually washed it again  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #39 on: 09 June, 2008, 08:19:19 pm »
Just back from 5 circuits of the park on a lovely sunny evening.  No scally's or chavs in sight!  ;D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #40 on: 09 June, 2008, 10:15:08 pm »
Me too!

Some little toerag was chucking eggs at random passers by as I cycled home this evening; he got me on the leg hard enough to break skin (which I thought was pretty impressive). Still, he missed the bike, so no harm done..

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #41 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:37:19 am »
It's not apocryphal, I saw it on the news channel. They asked some navy bloke how Basra compared to Portsmouth and he said "there's no beer, the prostitutes are ugly and the locals are trying to kill us - it's more like Plymouth."

ETA: or they might have asked him how Basra compared to Southampton and he said it was more like Portsmouth. I can't remember. I definitely saw it on the news channel though.

According to my mate Murdock, who got it off Sky News in March 2003, it went:

"Umm Qasr is a city similar to Southampton," UK defence minister Geoff Hoon said in The Commons yesterday. 

"He's either never been to Southampton, or he's never been to Umm Qasr", says a British Squaddie patrolling Umm Qasr.  Another soldier added: "There's no BEER, no prostitutes and people are shooting at us. It's more like Portsmouth."
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #42 on: 10 June, 2008, 07:15:58 pm »
Oh, that's probably it. I knew it really happened. Just a bit hazy on the details.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #43 on: 10 June, 2008, 07:22:11 pm »
Sorry to hear it Phil :( Did you get any details?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium