Author Topic: Panic in the Office  (Read 5781 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Panic in the Office
« on: 09 June, 2008, 09:55:31 pm »
They forgot I'd said I'd be late for work this morning, as I had to drop the car off for it's MoT. 

Nice to know that they think so much of me that they panic when they think I'm not coming in.  They assumed I'd been knocked off my bike, and was bleeding in the road.

But the problem wasn't the bike - oh no, far from it.  The bike was the solution.

It was the car

Well, that and all the other cars, and trucks, and taxis and other big fat motorised pieces of nonsense for one person each to be sat still in.

It took almost an hour to drive a fifteen minute bike ride to Battersea.  OK, so there was an interesting discussion on the radio about philosophers, but that's not enough on a hot day to compensate.

When I finally got on the bike, I set off along Nine Elms Lane, squeezing between immobile trucks. 

I got to Vauxhall, where the Police were clearing up after a motor incident.  I sailed past; the cars didn't.  Weaving in & out of the overheating cars and their overheating drivers, I sped off towards Elephant & Castle.

It was like the Zombocalypse out there.  Normally an insanely busy junction - empty.  I swooped around, enjoying taking a fast curve through the roundabout and off to my junction, where I smiled and smiled and then, as I stopped, I smiled.

My phone rang; it was the surgery.
Getting there...

gordon taylor

Re: Panic in the Office
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2008, 05:58:47 am »
I know what you mean. I had to use the car a couple of weeks ago for a work to garage to a colleague's house journey. This was just in Stafford town centre... hell's teeth!
How do they put up with this all the time? Inching forward, squeezing past, going nowhere. Pah! They're bonkers.

Pete

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2008, 08:12:15 am »
I would love to be able to endorse it - namely, to claim that my commute, too, is quicker by bike than by car.  Alas! not quite true in my part of the sticks, by car it takes me 7-8 minutes, by bike about 10 minutes.  It's a shame, because it would be a great benefit to be able to make that claim, truthfully.  Perhaps you'd like to export some of your congestion down here?!  ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2008, 08:18:16 am »
I would love to be able to endorse it - namely, to claim that my commute, too, is quicker by bike than by car.  Alas! not quite true in my part of the sticks, by car it takes me 7-8 minutes, by bike about 10 minutes.  It's a shame, because it would be a great benefit to be able to make that claim, truthfully.  Perhaps you'd like to export some of your congestion down here?!  ;)

Ah but Pete: how much does the car journey cost, and how long do you have to work to cover that cost? More than 2 minutes, I'd wager.

So all things considered, your bike jourey does take you less time than the car journey!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2008, 08:24:20 am »
Fairly regularly I undertake some road vehicles, they overtake, then I overtake them again, and they re-overtake me, and eventually I overtake them stuck in a long queue before leaving them entirely behind... ;D

I've never tried driving into work, since I've go nowhere to park, but even when I've driven in late at night (you can park after 10pm!) it's barely been faster than cycling in, and I get far better exercise and less stress cycling. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #5 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:35:48 am »
Bicycle definitely quicker and cheaper than all other forms of transport for me.

As detailed in this thread: Oil price.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:41:47 am »
I wondered what the hell was going on around Vauxhall yesterday, it was gridlocked, cars were so nose to tail that even getting through on a bike was a challenge (the Globe has wide handlebars and is not very nippy).

My family always assume I'm bleeding in the road somewhere if I'm late. It's partly why I got a road ID - to assure my mum that, if I'm bleeding in the road, she'll be hearing about it - no news is good news!

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #7 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:57:02 am »
Unfortunately it still takes me longer to cycle to work than it does to drive but its a lot more fun cycling. It takes around 25 minutes by bike and about 15 by car. But then I'm not in central London.

The good news is that we are quickly getting to a critical mass of cyclists in my office.  Currently there are around ten cyclists out of 40 people in our area and more people are starting to convert. When I started cycle commuting 4 years ago there was just me and 1 other guy. The tide is turning and the fact that we are quickly heading to £1.50 for a litre of fuel is helping push the change.

The bad news is that I now have to get to work early so I can get a space in the bike shed!
Owner of a languishing Langster

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #8 on: 10 June, 2008, 10:52:28 am »
Couldn't agree with everyone more! I only use the car for essential journeys, which unfortunately includes taking my daughter to school (we are gradually phasing in cycling), and when I need to buy a load of "stuff" from the supermarket.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #9 on: 10 June, 2008, 11:50:28 am »

ian

« Reply #10 on: 10 June, 2008, 12:17:21 pm »
I've been off the bike for the last couple of weeks (stoats ate my knees while I slept). Back using public transport and the car to get around. Hell's teeth, indeed. Almost an hour and a half on the bus to get from here to Lewisham the other day (and it's five miles, I gave up and walked back in less time). Trips to central London are an ugh-grr fest of delayed trains, stop-starty tubes, and inch-a-long so slow it hurts buses. Not to mention the sheer effort of keeping my urge to murder those people who rest their dirty feet on the seats or subject me to tinny crap-rap on their mobiles under control. Must. Not. Kill. Just. Maim.

The car's not a lot better. More crawling along like a palsied beetle in a tray of treacle. It's no wonder car drivers are so angry all the time.

Damn stoats. I want my knees back.

My commute time to central London is probably a bit slower than the train / bus / tube combo, but with even the slightest delay on the public transport options, the bike wins. Plus there's the unmatched freedom and ease of easily getting around once I'm in the city.

Kathy

« Reply #11 on: 10 June, 2008, 12:20:29 pm »
I've been off the bike for the last couple of weeks (stoats ate my knees while I slept).

:o

That explains a lot! Do you mind if I use that explanation occasionally?

« Reply #12 on: 10 June, 2008, 12:24:25 pm »
I've been off the bike for the last couple of weeks (stoats ate my knees while I slept).

:o

That explains a lot! Do you mind if I use that explanation occasionally?

Ostoatperosis?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #13 on: 10 June, 2008, 08:08:45 pm »

Ah but Pete: how much does the car journey cost, and how long do you have to work to cover that cost? More than 2 minutes, I'd wager.

So all things considered, your bike jourey does take you less time than the car journey!

I used that on a colleague at a former job after they boasted to me that they will get home much quicker than me, because they drove to work. There was at best 20 minutes in it.
I also pointed out that, when I get on my bike, I am allready where I want to be. I also mentioned that I sometimes rode home via a longer route because I was enjoying myself so much and asked him if he ever did the same. Then I asked him who was better off, he who wanted to rush home as quickly as possible to get to where he wanted to be, or me who just had to walk to my bike.

Pete

« Reply #14 on: 10 June, 2008, 08:44:09 pm »
I cannot win the 'roads are not especially dangerous for cycling' argument.  Nor, I suspect, can many of you, however hard you've stated the case.  Once I admit that I can't win the 'faster journey time' debate either, nothing else will stick, methinks.  In vain may one argue all day about cost saving, about getting your exercise while-you-commute (hence saving on trips to the gym), about enjoying the commute instead of merely enduring it ....

spindrift

« Reply #15 on: 10 June, 2008, 08:56:55 pm »
enjoying the commute instead of merely enduring it ....

If I go to work by tube, I get to my desk and don't remember it.  I've tuned it out,  Mr farty Trousers, Mrs Garlic Coughs, all of it. I get to work and don't remember the commute.

If i cycle I'm wide awake. I will have thought interesting things on the way or had an annoying ear-worm ( Free, Wishing Well,  anyone? Anyone?).
I will have had a moment of contemplative calm in the park on the way, or noticed a bit of architecture or one of the new skyscrapers in The City crawling upwards, a squirrel being nutty or a waft of a pure grass single skinner from a builder's van, a hideously beautiful crap in the canal, a skittish moorhen, a cornucopia of stimulii.

I arrive bushy tailed.

And I always get a seat.

spindrift

« Reply #16 on: 10 June, 2008, 08:58:20 pm »
The video's, like, deep:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKy_puDDnRk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eKy_puDDnRk&rel=1</a>

alan

« Reply #17 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:16:04 pm »
( Free, Wishing Well,  anyone? Anyone?).

I have that track on my I-Pod & hear it,& All Right Now,frequently when out on the bike :thumbsup:

alan

« Reply #18 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:19:44 pm »
If I was to be late to the office in the morning Marj might hope think I'd left home :oThe office is the room immediatley adjacent to our bedroom :)
It's not much of a commute either :)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #19 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:50:19 pm »
about enjoying the commute instead of merely enduring it ....

On Friday I am going to St Andrews for a meeting. It is about 15 miles by the shortest road route which I will take there.

I am looking at maps to determine an interesting and devious route home that may be a considerable number of the britons miles and include a suitable degree of rural Fifely lumpiness. It could be a search for the silliest hill name (Torr of Moonzie?). I won't get as far a Sure as death bank but I will pass Pluck the Crow point.

Isn't commuting fun?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #20 on: 10 June, 2008, 11:46:51 pm »
About a year ago, I either forgot to tell anyone, or I did and they forgot, that I'd be straight into town in the morning, to a meeting, and into the office about lunchtime. When I did make it in, there was a roomful of long faces - they'd talked themselves into a vision of me squished on the way to work. They were at least as miffed as joyful when I did appear.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #21 on: 11 June, 2008, 08:22:11 am »
The video's, like, deep:

YouTube - Free - Wishing Well

Blimey, that brought back some memories.  I must remember to reclaim my Free CDs from my light fingered son.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #22 on: 11 June, 2008, 08:36:39 am »
I disappeared for 5 hours once to a rehersal at school - this involved missing registration and no-one even noticed me.  ::-)
In the car it takes about 10-15 minutes to get to school, even longer if it's busy. Including walking to and from the stops the bus takes 30 minutes providing it's on time. I can ride there in 16 minutes (my record). It's locking my bike and walking to the other side of the school across the building site.
Since commuting I have stopped freaking at little roundabouts and minor right hand turns. I have also learnt (through experience in the last week) how to fix p******es.  ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #23 on: 11 June, 2008, 09:09:58 am »
I was living in New Malden, working in Weybridge. It was a nice evening so I took a slightly devious route home. Instead of 10 miles it was 40 and included Box Hill. My excuse was that I got lost..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

alan

« Reply #24 on: 11 June, 2008, 09:44:13 am »
The video's, like, deep:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKy_puDDnRk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eKy_puDDnRk&rel=1</a>

Blimey, that brought back some memories.  I must remember to reclaim my Free CDs from my light fingered son.

I've had the same issue in the past but finally surrendered & bought 'em again