Author Topic: BBC poll - answer it if you have time!  (Read 3868 times)

Julian

• samoture
BBC poll - answer it if you have time!
« on: 18 June, 2008, 11:57:33 am »
The Beeb wants your views

Shall we see if we can get a majority of "I cycle to work and it's wonderful" over the usual loud crowd's "Cyclists RLJ on the pavements and kill kittens on one-way streets"?

Plz?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: BBC poll - answer it if you have time!
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2008, 12:03:16 pm »
Why is it in the Africa section  ???

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2008, 12:04:10 pm »
It says it's in the magazine section.  No idea why the url says Africa. 

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2008, 12:12:22 pm »
Filled in the form, but it won't save it  ???

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2008, 12:14:06 pm »
Looks like the beeb are looking for a story.

I've popped the following in:

Initially, I took up cycling for travelling to work. This meant I could avoid either having to get up really early to get a parking space or paying to park.

I started using quiet roads and off-road cycle routes but as I got fitter and realised the convenience of cycling I bought a 'faster' bike and switched to roads. Now I've completely stubbed out my petrol addiction.

Along the way I've had some interesting experiences. I've learned that cycling builds character and perseverance. And following my own dispute with the law where by I had a conviction of inconsiderate cycling overturned, I've even turned into a bit of a campaigner.

There are many benefits of cycling. The benefits to society as a whole far outweigh the rise in self-esteem, fitness and longevity that individuals who cycle will experience.

In some corners of society people are starting to see how a modal shift from car to humble bicycle for local journeys will improve considerably the nations health and quality of life.

Cycling is not just transport. It is a positive way of life. I find it hard to sum up with mere words. It is much better to get some good advice and get out there to try it.

I'm sure that's far too lengthy to get published, but Liz is right. We should try and drown out the anti brigade with positive stories of cycling.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2008, 12:24:01 pm »
I sent them a bit of waffle with a small whinge about 'facilities' and crap motorists.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2008, 12:48:43 pm »
I sent in rather a long comment, extolling the delights and benefits of cycling, and having a go at the problems - such as crap motorists, farcical facilities and a lack of enforcement.

Unfortunately, I forgot to copy it before I posted it  :-[ so a Ican't post it here.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2008, 01:18:10 pm »
Will cycling safe the world?  Did saving the cheerleader safe the world?

How about an intergrated transport policy? walk, cycle, drive and fly?

« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2008, 02:06:29 pm »
Kept it brief:

I haven't recently started cycling to work - I've always cycled to work.  Where I live, public transport is unreliable, expensive and the journey would take half again as long.

So I have two 45-minute bike rides a day, along rural b-roads and minor roads, and it's marvellous.  Problems?  There are none, apart from ice in the winter.  The only facilities are the roads, and they are the only facilities I need.

These stories tend to come out at the least sign of financial crisis.  I haven't seen any items about thriftiness yet, but I'm expecting them shortly.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #9 on: 18 June, 2008, 02:08:58 pm »
as posted, complete with typos!

I've commuted by bike for a while now.  I stay on the road as I do not find that cycle facilities add to my safety or help me get from A to B efficiantly, whereas the road does.

Problems: cars not signalling or occasionally either pasing to closely or failing to understand that the road is tor cyclists just as much as it is for cars.
Also lack of available solutions for carrying older children or adults (>18kg) when they haven't got their bike with them. 

Local provision for cyclists?  there is some, the odd useful cut through of the one way system, lots of paint on the roads and a number of initiatives that I think are detrimental to saftey - eg a cycle path that leaves you at the exit to a roundabout. Also often the surface is inferior to that of the equivalent road.  Bike parking currently adequate.
Signposting of cycle routes is in general useless - unless you are a local it's impossible to know whether any goven cycle facility will allow you to get where you want to go or not - and even if it takes you in the right general direction there are often no signposts at the far end to indicate where to go next.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 18 June, 2008, 02:27:36 pm »
Done (nothing original, but hopefully positive).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #11 on: 18 June, 2008, 02:35:02 pm »
My tuppence worth...

"Why?
I hear the bird song, I see the wildlife, I keep fit, I work off the stress of the day on the ride home and I don't worry about tanker driver strikes.

Problems?
Atrocious road surfaces (bike wheels aren't cheap) and drivers for whom the vehicle is some kind of penis and or personality substitute."
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2008, 02:36:53 pm »
My 2pworth:-

I cycle to work as often as possible, often with a heavily-laden bike as I take tools with me.

I started doing this after being diagnosed with arthritis and being told by the consultant to exercise more. When you have joint pain, cycling is easier and less painful than walking as the load is not all on your feet. Three years on and I have lost 3 stone in weight.

There is little provision for cycling in my area but my journeys tend to be fairly short (1 to 6 miles) so I usually use quiet roads where possible. It would be easy, and cheap, to put in more cycling provision, but it seems that none of the people who make these decisions are cyclists so they have no idea what works and what doesn't.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #13 on: 18 June, 2008, 03:57:55 pm »
They emailed me, asking if they could phone for more info.

Anyone else been contacted?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 18 June, 2008, 04:22:55 pm »
Have cycled to work for several years with distances varying from 5 to 25 miles each way. My area is plagued with mostly useless but sometimes positively dangerous cycle lanes. I try to avoid roads with cycle "facilities" but it's not always practical to do so. The only facilities cyclists need, apart from roads with good surfaces, are secure cycle parking and better provision for carrying cycles on public transport. This would allow practical mixed mode travel for longer journeys.

The main danger to cyclists is from bad or careless motorists. Many motorists are considerate and most are reasonalby safe most of the time. It is the small number of dangerous drivers who pose the threat. More 20 mph speed limits would help but only if enforced, as would proper and impartial enforcement of existing traffic laws - for all classes of road user.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #15 on: 18 June, 2008, 04:25:27 pm »
I've posted what I hope is a useful and positive comment. When do we get to see the accepted comments (or maybe they're already up and I've missed them)?

« Reply #16 on: 18 June, 2008, 06:24:05 pm »
and my comment

I combine Bike and Train to get to and from work. I have done ever since I started working in Reading. Before that I cycled to campus at University.

As a city Reading has its collection of useful short cuts and towpaths which are great if you have the local knowledge of where they go. However the roads are better sign posted and form the best door to door network possible. The best facilities available to the cyclists are the bus lanes.

In terms of problems on a daily basis there are none. About once a month I might encounter a situation where a driver fails to see me or does not appreciate sharing the road with a cyclist but by riding in a positive manor and adopting a defensive road possition it is possible to allow for these errors and avoid major conflicts.

« Reply #17 on: 18 June, 2008, 06:27:55 pm »
My short comment:

I commute 12 miles each way to work and back. It's far cheaper than running a car, I enjoy it, it means I can stay in good shape without having to go to a gym and also that I can eat cake every day and not gain weight!

fuzzy

« Reply #18 on: 18 June, 2008, 07:30:21 pm »
My comment-

I have been cycling to work frequently for the last 7 years and almost exclusively for the last 5. I enjoy my ride to work, which is currently 10 miles each way, for a number of reasons. One is that it keeps me fit and healthy, two is that with the current cost of petrol, it is saving me a fortune, three is that being on a bike on a frosty morning as the sun rises, or on an unlit road under a full moon has to be experienced to be appreciated. There are many other reasons.

Granted there can be some down sides. Wet weather was a bit of a bummer when I first started but now, it is water off a ducks back if you will pardon the pun. I quite like a ride in the rain! There can be the odd 'moment' with other road users, but these happen whatever form of transport I use so I have learned to stay cool and not react. I would say that for just about every journey I arrive at work or home refreshed, recharged and smiling.

« Reply #19 on: 18 June, 2008, 07:45:26 pm »
And mine : -

I cycle the 20 miles to and from work every day (ie 10 miles there and 10 miles back), rain or shine, Winter and Summer. It is joyous. I am fitter than I have ever been.

I do it because it is faster than the car, much faster than public transport, but most importantly, my journey time is completely predictable, to the minute. A rather pleasant side effect is that it saves me money as well.

How could it be better ?

And if we treat that as a non-rhetorical question, my answer is this : -

Please can the one in fifty vehicle drivers who think it's OK to pass me : -
  with a differential speed in excess of 10 mph and within one foot of my right elbow, or within 6" at any speed differential, or
  when they are (obviously) approaching the back of a traffic jam and by doing so effectively block me in

should do two things.

1  Give cyclists room
2  Look further ahead
Rust never sleeps

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #20 on: 18 June, 2008, 11:53:20 pm »
This was my response
I cycle to work. Only a short ride but I am too lazy to walk. I never have to hunt for a parking space now they have built a new bike shed. I can stop at the shops on the way in without worrying about a ticket.

The cycle facilities are great. Wide, smooth and direct. We share them with cars which tend to discourage pedestrians from stepping out without looking. You probably have roads where you are too.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:12:50 am »
If you want to have more cyclists then you need the people who are planning and implementing to be cyclists themselves. They are the people who understand what is needed. By 'cyclist' I mean someone who travels on the roads with cars at busy times, not someone who went to Center Parcs three years ago.
It is simpler than it looks.

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #22 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:29:00 am »
I have added my comments on the positive side. I'd like to see how the Bristol city centre bike way will perfrom when complete. I find with cycle paths that its all well and good but if that path is interrupted by drives etc so that vehicles will be sat there waiting to get out , so in turn have you. Therefore alot ignore the path and use the road defeating the object and leaving cycling open to criticism for not using purpose built lanes( ahem). Far better to have the lanes along side the road with the appropiate protection or even better still away from that traffic entirely.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #23 on: 19 June, 2008, 02:06:26 pm »

I've just had a 10 minute chat with a BBC journalist about it - she says the story should be on the site in the next 60-90 minutes.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #24 on: 19 June, 2008, 03:08:42 pm »

I've just had a 10 minute chat with a BBC journalist about it - she says the story should be on the site in the next 60-90 minutes.

We are cyber-neighbours
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/7463531.stm
<i>Marmite slave</i>