Author Topic: Today's SPAM  (Read 120806 times)

Re: Today's SPAM
« Reply #325 on: 05 February, 2021, 02:51:22 pm »
Just had a spam call from 07213 829900. Automated voice from my "internet service provider"
stating that there had been some illegal activity on my account and it will be switched off in 24
hours......... I hung up before the anything else was said.

Normally these things are voice-activated, eg; if you say hello, the automated voice kicks in. If you
don't say anything, after a few seconds you normally hear 'the other person has cleared' message.

I subscribed to the TPS service years ago. ::-)
The call was to my landline. I dialled 1471 just to check.

(I thought about ringing the number, shouting some obsenitives and then blocking it. However,
don't want to bring attention to myself).

« Reply #326 on: 15 February, 2021, 10:01:39 am »
This

Microsoft account
Security alert
We think that someone else might have accessed the Microsoft account *******@yahoo.co.uk. When this happens, we require you to verify your identity with a security challenge and then change your password the next time you sign in.
If someone else has access to your account, they have your password and might be trying to access your personal information or send junk email.
If you haven't already recovered your account, we can help you do it now.
Recover account

Very slick, with Microsoft colour schemes &logo in the original email

A

« Reply #327 on: 15 February, 2021, 02:15:00 pm »
Not sure TPS covers mobiles.  We use an active call blocker - the BT Call Guardian (built into the phone). Don't get spam calls as a result. Not blocked anything important in the last 5 years.
We use the service which BT built theirs on (AFAIR) Trucall - which is a box that sits between the socket and the phone, with a Web portal to see who called.
Our spam calls dropped off dramatically once we started screening calls, and now the landline gets maybe one a month.
Mobile spam is a whole different problem, for which only megatons of deth is the answer.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #328 on: 17 February, 2021, 02:14:32 pm »
Dear Scammers

I'd take your laughable “warning” about ceasing to process e-mail with attachments a bit more seriously* if you learned how to spell.  Unless “Email Amin” is Idi's younger brother.

kthxbai

* but still not seriously enough to be fooled by it
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #329 on: 17 February, 2021, 05:43:08 pm »
I had a good Faceache one yesterday. I young lady wishing to make my acquaintance. Would have been a little more believable if 'she' wasn't called Kenneth.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #330 on: 17 February, 2021, 06:30:48 pm »
Has anyone in the course of human history ever been taken in by the "send me bitcoin or I'll send the video to all your contacts" scam ?

« Reply #331 on: 18 February, 2021, 12:03:16 pm »
As much as I warn her about it, Mrs M will sign up for free ebook mailings. Guess what?
Yes, she's now getting a mountain of spam originating from one of her 'special offers'  :facepalm:
Her address appears to have been passed from mailing list to mailing list, so they are currently multiplying.
These are bypassing the GMail spam filters despite being in a very typical format with predictable wording. GMail has a lot of filtering options, so I've set up multiple filters that seem to be catching most of them - with these, and the 'Report Spam' (not & unsubscribe) hopefully we'll quell the deluge.
Maybe, just maybe, she's learned her lesson from my grumpy face.  ???
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #332 on: 21 February, 2021, 01:23:12 pm »
Via Zwift I was asked to complete a survey, a very simple one!

Having completed the very simple survey I was told I might win a prize, an iPhone 11, and was given an array of nine gift-wrapped boxes to open and three goes to pick the right one. Of course I picked the right one and was then asked to pay a token £1 to be sent my gift, paying with a Visa card.

The https website had a little padlock and claimed to be properly encrypted with shield and ticky things.  It was called mynewphone247.com.

Sadly I could not bring myself to part with my £1 so in all likelihood have lost the chance to win a new iPhone :'(   Such suspicious times!
Move Faster and Bake Things

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #333 on: 22 February, 2021, 08:35:52 am »
Has anyone in the course of human history ever been taken in by the "send me bitcoin or I'll send the video to all your contacts" scam ?

Had someone on an apple forum yesterday who I had to tell quite forcefully "they don't have a video - don't click - don't pay"

The problem with that one is for anyone who sees even a hint of risk that they really have been filmed doing whatever it is they've been doing, the consequences are horrible. A particularly vicious scam.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #334 on: 22 February, 2021, 08:38:04 am »
As much as I warn her about it, Mrs M will sign up for free ebook mailings. Guess what?
Yes, she's now getting a mountain of spam originating from one of her 'special offers'  :facepalm:
Her address appears to have been passed from mailing list to mailing list, so they are currently multiplying.
These are bypassing the GMail spam filters despite being in a very typical format with predictable wording. GMail has a lot of filtering options, so I've set up multiple filters that seem to be catching most of them - with these, and the 'Report Spam' (not & unsubscribe) hopefully we'll quell the deluge.
Maybe, just maybe, she's learned her lesson from my grumpy face.  ???

Set her up with a burner email address for such things. Something like attractSpamHere@gmail.com

« Reply #335 on: 22 February, 2021, 07:11:54 pm »
Two in two days to my wife’s phone, voicemails threatening arrest for tax irregularities one day, NI the next.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #336 on: 22 February, 2021, 07:44:51 pm »
Phone rang the other day. Automated voice telling me it was UK Power Networks informing me of an "unplanned powercut" coming up and to press 1 for more details. Aye right, do you think I'm stupid? Ignore it and hang up.

15 minutes later,out go the lights.

Ah.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #337 on: 22 February, 2021, 08:01:29 pm »
Call on my mobile today. 3 seconds of silence which is the usual give away, but I don't hang up immediately these days.  Anyone else with a 96 year old mother will understand this.
"This is a call from Her Majesty (sic) Revenue and Customs......."

Click.

I used to play with them, but I just can't be bottomed these days.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #338 on: 22 February, 2021, 08:28:48 pm »
Phone rang the other day. Automated voice telling me it was UK Power Networks informing me of an "unplanned powercut" coming up and to press 1 for more details. Aye right, do you think I'm stupid? Ignore it and hang up.

15 minutes later,out go the lights.

Ah.
Choice.
I'm not really laughing.
Honest.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #339 on: 22 February, 2021, 08:42:56 pm »
Whilst on Facebook today, I came across a Robbie Williams live stream.  Apparently, he was giving £5000 to the first 100 people who correctly gave the number in a circle. I typed in the number and was told that I was a winner and invited to join a site and enter my credit card details so that they could forward my winnings. Click delete!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #340 on: 23 February, 2021, 04:24:05 pm »
MEG <richardkempton@momentumenergygroup.org>
Subject:
Re: Hello
Hello

We still havent received a response from you as to our last conversation.

Kindly revert back to me so we can proceed.

Kind regards

Mr Richard Kempton
Executive Vice President
Momentum Energy Group

Dear Mr Kempton

As I was never Mr Richard Kempton in the first place it's difficult to know how to proceed in reverting back to you.  Any advice on how to proceed will be most welcome*.

Your in sport

The BEAR

pp. Mr Larrington

* Lie

« Reply #341 on: 23 February, 2021, 05:41:30 pm »
Revert back to what? To a frog? Or do they mean reply?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #342 on: 01 March, 2021, 09:03:38 am »
"Royal Mail: Your parcel is awaiting delivery. Please pay the £1.99 settlement to avoid your parcel being returned to sender: https://pay-royalmail.com"
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

ian

« Reply #343 on: 01 March, 2021, 09:22:35 am »
Dear large vendor of computer information, how about, if you discover an issue with someone's password, you don't tell them about this by sending them an email with a link to click to fix it?

(It's genuine, but really, you can't expect people not to click these links except when you want them to.)

« Reply #344 on: 01 March, 2021, 11:33:41 am »
Just had a spam call from 07213 829900. Automated voice from my "internet service provider"
stating that there had been some illegal activity on my account and it will be switched off in 24
hours......... I hung up before the anything else was said.

Normally these things are voice-activated, eg; if you say hello, the automated voice kicks in. If you
don't say anything, after a few seconds you normally hear 'the other person has cleared' message.

I subscribed to the TPS service years ago. ::-)

Last Thursday had two within 15 minutes on the landline.  This means we've now received four calls on the landline, the other two were from the NHS, one of them few days earlier, both for Mrs A.  Mrs A also had two dodgy calls on her mobile shortly after her vaccination, the only such she has ever had. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #345 on: 17 March, 2021, 02:03:37 pm »
Well this is a new one on me:

Dear [my e-mail address]

This is to inform you that you have been selected among the lucky winners of the U.S. green card; in the Diversity Immigrant Visa (Lottery) Program for the fiscal year 2021. Winners were selected randomly via (computer) draw system of email extractions. The green card gives you the right to live permanently in the United States.

Please read and follow all the enclosed instruction carefully.
To receive the green card, you will have to apply and obtain U.S. immigrant visa which is for permanent resident in the United States. You will have to travel to the United States with the issued visa to receive the green card.

Immigrant visa application process:
Please complete and submit form DS-230 which will be used to file your immigrant visa petition at the National Visa Center (NVC); to process your petition and schedule the immigrant visa interview appointment at the U.S. Embassy nearest to you for your visa issuance. If you wish to immigrate to the United States with your family member(s); please complete form DS230 for each person. Submit the form with the (2) requirements; passport and photo on or before March 22, 2021. Click to Download PDF - Form DS-230 and the requirements here

If this email is delivered in your spam folder, move it to your inbox folder to enable the above link clickable to download the application form.

Print out this letter and take it with you to your visa interview

Regards,
Bureau of Consular Affairs,
United States Department of State

Yes mate ::-)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #346 on: 23 March, 2021, 07:20:52 pm »
This chap engages with scammers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0peLpovDB8

Here he has made a fake version of Windows and it is confusing the scammer. The Start Menu is great!

(It reminds me of when I told a Scammer that I had Windows 3.1 on my machine. "Do You know Bill Gates??!! That's not out yet!!!")
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #347 on: 23 March, 2021, 07:38:48 pm »
Whats Updog?   ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #348 on: 26 March, 2021, 10:56:17 am »
Greetings! Hope you are doing well today.

We would like to have an argument with you concerning the web elevationtactic for your website myactualwebsite.com. We bid to work out a suggestion to support the online occurrence of your website, through, a tactically planned web preferment campaign. In this online era, you should be focusing on the new innovative ways of engendering traffic.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #349 on: 26 March, 2021, 10:59:14 am »
Write back saying No you wouldn’t?