Author Topic: Heating on?  (Read 60649 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Heating on?
« Reply #175 on: 27 September, 2020, 10:16:06 am »
Ours stays “on” year round, governed by the thermostat in the living room. Started coming on in the mornings on Thursday.

Same here. Ours kicked in this morning for the first time since whenever last winter stopped.

I put the heating on manually on Friday during the day because my office was f-f-f-f-freezing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #176 on: 27 September, 2020, 10:31:53 am »
MrsC and I have just been discussing turning the gas fire in the living room on this evening.
...but in the end we didn't.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #177 on: 27 September, 2020, 11:15:54 am »
Jumper, trousis, socks, Proper Shoes.  Even the conservatory at Fort Larrington is resolutely refusing to warm up today.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #178 on: 27 September, 2020, 12:00:54 pm »
I’ve been wearing socks with my sandals for a week or so now...

... in that case you're very much "on trend" from what I've seen in a couple of press articles today - even David Beckham was pictured in sandals and socks so you're in good (??) company.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #179 on: 27 September, 2020, 07:09:07 pm »
Yes.  2 days ago.

My wife, who has some Italian heritage, also has cancer, and is a bit down atm.  Normally (and before she was ill), she'd want the heating on in late August, so well done to her for hanging out for so long.

« Reply #180 on: 27 September, 2020, 07:51:13 pm »
Not yet. Socks with sandles  :o :facepalm: ;)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #181 on: 27 September, 2020, 08:40:17 pm »
[checks calendar]  No.
[checks thermometer] Yes.
[checks YACF]
[sets thermostat to 25 degrees and timer to December]
[sells boiler for scrap and emigrates to Barbados]
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #182 on: 28 September, 2020, 12:05:23 am »

Turned the radiators on in the living room today. Made everything much more comfortable.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #183 on: 28 September, 2020, 07:27:44 am »
We had a noticeable frost last night.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #184 on: 28 September, 2020, 08:57:27 am »
Fingerless gloves: On.

« Reply #185 on: 28 September, 2020, 10:07:14 am »
So the people on the ground floor are heating the whole block?  :demon:

« Reply #186 on: 28 September, 2020, 10:15:04 am »
WFH with a hot water bottle this morning.  Window fitters are here, working hard to get the outside on the outside.

« Reply #187 on: 28 September, 2020, 11:32:18 am »
It doesn't seem to be. The other WFH person warms himself with banks of servers but my measly laptop is not doing enough for my feet. Thick socks and merino underthings are not helping enough.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #188 on: 28 September, 2020, 01:57:38 pm »
So the people on the ground floor are heating the whole block?  :demon:
I don't know what they do in Slovakia where road-runner is, but in Poland when I lived in a flat, there was a complicated system whereby different flats paid different rates per unit of heat. Discounted rates for being on a corner, for instance. We were on the second or third floor IIRC, definitely not on a corner, and the whole building was clad in some sort of polystyrene, so I'm not sure if our heating bill was reduced from not very much to even less or increased to still not very much.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #189 on: 28 September, 2020, 05:48:36 pm »
MrsC and I have just been discussing turning the gas fire in the living room on this evening.
...but in the end we didn't.
We did this afternoon.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #190 on: 28 September, 2020, 06:03:54 pm »
Too hot for this Unit in the Fort Larrington solarium this morning ???

« Reply #191 on: 28 September, 2020, 06:15:45 pm »
Ours has been on since the end of last week.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #192 on: 28 September, 2020, 06:21:22 pm »
Ours was, but I dropped my wife off to the care of the NHS for a week or so this morning, so I've turned it off. The dog does not care and I can put a jumper on if needs be.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #193 on: 28 September, 2020, 06:51:18 pm »
My heating is on. I am sitting here wearing a t-shirt and short trousers (the uniform of covid lockdown).  However I always obey my 85 year old mother so I pressed the buttons on the central heating.

« Reply #194 on: 05 November, 2020, 02:53:54 pm »
I finally got round to switching on the heating today.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #195 on: 05 November, 2020, 06:26:42 pm »
I'm still holding out, though I've used the 'leccy fan heater in the Estate Office to warm my krutty shins until the Babbage-Engine up there has warmed the room a bit.  It only ever sees the sun first thing in the morning, and then only in the summer.  And it ent summer any more, because the plumbing has stopped howling when the cistern is refilling.

« Reply #196 on: 06 November, 2020, 09:45:19 am »
Not only has our heating been on for some weeks (my wife feels the cold - around 3am she got up to put her dressing gown on over her nightie, despite our sleeping under a TOG 9 duvet  ::-)), I suspect we'll be having our first fire of the season on Saturday evening. And possibly the addition of the TOG 4.5 summer duvet.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #197 on: 06 November, 2020, 09:54:37 am »
Been on for weeks, though I've nudged it up to 20 degrees a few days back. It's been cold at night for the last few days – I can judge the temperature by the condensation I have to tediously wipe off the windows (ginormous 60s-era picture windows with crappy double glazing makes for an efficient dehumidifier).

« Reply #198 on: 06 November, 2020, 10:11:27 am »
Been on for weeks, though I've nudged it up to 20 degrees a few days back. It's been cold at night for the last few days – I can judge the temperature by the condensation I have to tediously wipe off the windows (ginormous 60s-era picture windows with crappy double glazing makes for an efficient dehumidifier).
I have the same problem with my windows (although I have asked a trusted tradesman mate to price up my house for modern double glaze windows). I may use my dehumidifier (but it is a bit noisy).

ian

« Reply #199 on: 06 November, 2020, 10:29:13 am »
It usually means the temperature outside is below 5 (and we don't run the heating overnight, so the temperature drops and helps the process along). I have idly contemplated having the sealed units replaced (but I'm not sure the energy-saving, or my effort with a cloth, would justify the cost and hassle) – we did have the window in my office done when we moved and that's the only one that remains condensation-free. That said, the gardeners did have the unit in one of the patio doors replaced when they strimmed a stone through it, and that's still a bit shit (but I suspect they bought the cheapest unit possible).