Author Topic: Indian Pacific Wheel Race.  (Read 51000 times)

Re: Indian Pacific Wheel Race.
« Reply #75 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:50:28 am »
Watching the Cycling Maven youtube videos, a number of the middle/back markers are riding to the roadhouses separately and then hanging out and eating together! I'm assuming that the people at the front are checking their position vs their near rivals in the same way we dot-watch...

« Reply #76 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:52:10 am »
I've been curious about data coverage. It has surprised me that there has been data coverage from all of the roadhouses (that's not something you would have got in south-west WA just 8 years ago, let alone in the more remote areas).

I think that the riders will only be able to check trackers etc when they get to a major roadhouse (petrol station) or town.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #77 on: 22 March, 2017, 11:31:04 am »
The distances, the straightness, the flatness (so far) and the vast redness of the terrain are impressive.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #78 on: 22 March, 2017, 11:52:22 am »
For the leaders, the flatness is coming to an end. Rolling terrain takes over, then a few hundred km of undulating, then mountains . . .

Navigation while exhausted must get interesting in the more populated areas (more roads, more choice). I don't know how they manage it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #79 on: 22 March, 2017, 12:47:46 pm »
It's a fixed route meaning no decision making needed for navigation. Just follow the prescribed roads
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #80 on: 22 March, 2017, 01:14:57 pm »

« Reply #81 on: 22 March, 2017, 01:23:51 pm »
This is incredible:
http://road.cc/content/news/219630-video-allergic-reaction-halts-juliana-buhring-during-indian-pacific-wheel-race
I can't decide whether she's brilliant or insane...
A bit of both, I think.
Stock up on the paracetamol for the next go then.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Phil W

« Reply #82 on: 22 March, 2017, 01:35:56 pm »
Sarah Hammond has moved up into third place. You go girl.

« Reply #83 on: 22 March, 2017, 01:47:32 pm »
Maybe.
Adam Hall's tracker has been off for some time, so it is not possible to tell his location. Sarah could be ahead, or not.

She is certainly riding very strongly, looks unphased by the lack of sleep.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Phil W

« Reply #84 on: 22 March, 2017, 02:32:14 pm »
Maybe.
Adam Hall's tracker has been off for some time, so it is not possible to tell his location. Sarah could be ahead, or not.

She is certainly riding very strongly, looks unphased by the lack of sleep.

Definitely third according to race organiser updates.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #85 on: 22 March, 2017, 05:29:05 pm »
Frank's bike at 4:04

Phil W

« Reply #86 on: 22 March, 2017, 05:44:46 pm »
Seb Dunne back in third

« Reply #87 on: 22 March, 2017, 05:49:37 pm »
Looks like Shell has decided to stop in the Nullarbor Roadhouse tonight with three other riders rather than another bivi in a local ditch.

I reckon that he is up to equal 12th  :thumbsup:

Phil W

« Reply #88 on: 22 March, 2017, 05:51:19 pm »

Nice little review of a few of the bikes.

αdαmsκι

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #90 on: 23 March, 2017, 06:35:43 am »
Kristof and Mike are both beyond Port Augusta and the hills have started. Kristof has done the first 500 climb and Mike has that coming up. It stays lumpy until Adelaide (and possibly beyond, but I've not looked that far).

I assume that means the long straights (such as below) are behind them for the moment.

« Reply #91 on: 23 March, 2017, 07:04:30 am »
Shell sounds in good spirits when Durianrider has a brief chat with him at 11:48 in this Youtube video

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #92 on: 23 March, 2017, 09:19:34 am »
Uta reported that the roadhouse Frank was aiming for was closed, which meant no solid food, but still got plenty of gels. 

And Frank himself reported this morning that he was having trouble with a tyre boot, so was using a piece of plastic to cover.  Hope it works.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #93 on: 23 March, 2017, 09:51:56 am »
Zip ties!  :thumbsup:

Some interesting bottle fixtures too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #94 on: 23 March, 2017, 11:09:53 am »
And Frank himself reported this morning that he was having trouble with a tyre boot, so was using a piece of plastic to cover.  Hope it works.

I'm fairly sure it was the Aussies who first recommended using their (plastic) banknotes for emergency tyre repairs.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Phil W

« Reply #95 on: 23 March, 2017, 03:00:59 pm »

« Reply #96 on: 23 March, 2017, 03:24:28 pm »
The scale of this race! They are less than halfway.

I think the transam is longer, but doesn't have such long stretches through virtually unsupplied regions.

My prediction; over the next 3 days, the 4 top riders will all start taking 4hour breaks in 24hour periods. Mike will yoyo closer to Kristof, then fall back as their breaks are out of sync. Weather, and possible mechanicals will determine if the order of the top 4 changes. Sarah has proven herself to be very strong and steady and is likely to take 3rd. If either of the top two have a disaster, she may well grab second.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #98 on: 23 March, 2017, 04:41:38 pm »
I've been curious about data coverage. It has surprised me that there has been data coverage from all of the roadhouses (that's not something you would have got in south-west WA just 8 years ago, let alone in the more remote areas).

I think that the riders will only be able to check trackers etc when they get to a major roadhouse (petrol station) or town.
Trackers send a signal via satellite, it's not internet-style data or mobile phone-type coverage. I think one roadhouse has closed, there're only a couple open on the Nullabor now.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #99 on: 23 March, 2017, 04:57:36 pm »

Trackers send a signal via satellite, it's not internet-style data or mobile phone-type coverage. I think one roadhouse has closed, there're only a couple open on the Nullabor now.
I meant data coverage and checking other rider's tracker positions. There has been vid updates from most of the roadhouses.
<i>Marmite slave</i>