Author Topic: Tour of Ireland - Highlights on ITV4  (Read 2585 times)

Tour of Ireland - Highlights on ITV4
« on: 25 August, 2008, 11:51:35 am »
The Tour of Ireland starts Wednesday 27 August.

Tour of Ireland

ITV4 are showing highlights nightly at 7pm.

Re: Tour of Ireland - Highlights on ITV4
« Reply #1 on: 25 August, 2008, 08:06:51 pm »
ooh, great.

thanks for the heads up!

« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2008, 10:08:46 pm »
And once more the introduction of the generally taboo mid-week telly-before-bedtime means there has to be a face off in magnolia mansions between the cycling elements and the Dr Who fans, as BBC3 have an old series on every night at 7pm.

So it's me against 4 girls.  I may win in the long run, but I'll lose evry battle on the way...

:'(

Snugsy

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2008, 09:58:21 am »
The Tour of Ireland starts Wednesday 27 August.

Tour of Ireland

ITV4 are showing highlights nightly at 7pm.

Good programme last night. Go Cav! Vengavengavenga!

Mind you, my view is coloured by the fact that I've riden over Mt Leinster and it's a total b@st@rd of a climb.

« Reply #4 on: 29 August, 2008, 12:24:21 am »
I was entranced by the insight into the use of race radio:

"go fast but not too fast"

"Ok boss"

hmm - I could have dreamt up that advice myself  :D

Felt for poor old Cav being back on winning form but obviously still gutted by the Chinese experience - he could have perhaps finished the TdF and got himself a proper hard man reputation instead of sloping off to the olympics...

« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2008, 04:49:18 pm »
I was entranced by the insight into the use of race radio:

"go fast but not too fast"

"Ok boss"

hmm - I could have dreamt up that advice myself  :D

Like they are going to do the real stuff on TV!!

Felt for poor old Cav being back on winning form but obviously still gutted by the Chinese experience - he could have perhaps finished the TdF and got himself a proper hard man reputation instead of sloping off to the olympics...

Trying to finish the Tour would have been unwise. He gets good advice and takes it. I know he spoke to Adrian Timmis who finished the Tour at about the same age; and never properly recovered.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2008, 08:40:46 pm »
Very impressed by Cav today. Crashed, lost a couple of team mates, survived the final climb before the finish and came home to win the stage with the minimum of help. Seems like he is maturing into more than just a pure sprinter.

« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2008, 08:43:51 pm »
Well someone's advising him to eat the opposition in this race! (no Dr Who tonight - I win 8))

Getting back up after coming off and taking them all out again on the finish - and what is it that allows these guys to get up and carry on racing after sliding about 10m on their legs/shoulders/arms? Money? youthful exuberance? adrenalin? Guiness?  I think a good 20% of them must have been off at some point today.

« Reply #8 on: 29 August, 2008, 08:49:18 pm »
Trying to finish the Tour would have been unwise. He gets good advice and takes it. I know he spoke to Adrian Timmis who finished the Tour at about the same age; and never properly recovered.

izzat a mental or physical age thing then?  needs what, another 2yrs at it first?

« Reply #9 on: 29 August, 2008, 09:01:12 pm »

izzat a mental or physical age thing then?  needs what, another 2yrs at it first?

It's more about a steady build up to the Tour - maybe finishing the Giro the year before plus some other 2-3 week races.

As an example take Dan Martin. Steady build up to longer stage races - Tour maybe next year (but maybe not to finish) and more probably 2010. Dan has a supportive team who are with him for the long haul, and a father with bags of experience (Neil Martin). Some teams will "use up" a young pro for short term gain, but Garmin and Columbia have a longer game plan.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 29 August, 2008, 10:08:37 pm »

As an example take Dan Martin. Steady build up to longer stage races - Tour maybe next year (but maybe not to finish) and more probably 2010. Dan has a supportive team who are with him for the long haul, and a father with bags of experience (Neil Martin).

His uncle has a wee bit of experience too..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes