Author Topic: Travel Insurance Advice  (Read 6946 times)

Travel Insurance Advice
« on: 28 December, 2018, 10:45:53 pm »
Given that this is a bit different from the normal weeks cycling holiday in France, does anyone have experiencing or advice regarding Travel Insurance?

I prefer to use a reliable company and don't mind paying for decent cover, as opposed to a budget policy which then doesn't pay out when the need arises.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Travel Insurance Advice
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2018, 12:44:35 am »
Save yourself the cash.  EHIC should still be valid during the Brexit transition period and the chance of you having to be helicopter rescued from the side of the Roc Trevezel by a private chopper flown out from Britain that you have to pay for, is sufficiently negligible to not be worth worrying about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2018, 01:34:32 am »
Some bank accounts have 'free' travel insurance as one of their benefits. Check if yours does and phone to check coverage.
Extras from your bank may be cheaper than stand alone policies.

AIUI EHIC won't cover the cost of repatriation, which is routine on nearly all other travel policies. I'd get insurance just for this.

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2018, 08:47:36 am »
I'd agree with Helly.
EHIC is great for basic, emergency cover, and gives you the same as a local. However to cut through local red tape and bureaucracy (France!) then I'd say insurance is essential. While you may not consider repatriation from l'hexagon to be an issue, consider how you'd do it with a broken (choose a limb) or cope with a month away from work until you're fit to travel.
I have mine through Nationwide as part of my current account. I've used it twice, once when I contracted a horrid chest infection in Spain, and then when we were royally f##ked about by Easy jet returning from Menorca - both times they were excellent. They've also been extremely helpful now that my wife has a multitude of permanent health issues. The insurance provider is UK Insurance and I'm highly impressed.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2018, 10:44:59 pm »
I have mine through Nationwide as part of my current account. I've used it twice, once when I contracted a horrid chest infection in Spain, and then when we were royally f##ked about by Easy jet returning from Menorca - both times they were excellent. They've also been extremely helpful now that my wife has a multitude of permanent health issues. The insurance provider is UK Insurance and I'm highly impressed.
Does the Nationwide insurance still have compulsory helmet rules?

« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2018, 10:47:06 pm »
Don't know - I'm never in a position to be able to cycle on holidays (re Mrs M's illnesses)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2018, 11:58:11 pm »
I'd agree with Helly.
EHIC is great for basic, emergency cover, and gives you the same as a local. However to cut through local red tape and bureaucracy (France!) then I'd say insurance is essential. While you may not consider repatriation from l'hexagon to be an issue, consider how you'd do it with a broken (choose a limb) or cope with a month away from work until you're fit to travel.

Limb is simple compared to (unlikely, granted) neck...

« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2018, 04:51:25 pm »
The PBP organisation provides basic insurance.

Article 11 : Responsibilities and Insurance

Under all circumstances, riders must obey the French traffic law.
It is especially to be noted that cyclists participating in Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur® ride at their own risk and that riders are not covered unless they have taken out an individual insurance. The participant asserts under the honor principle to be covered by insurance when registering.
A «Responsabilité Civile - Défense & Recours» policy has been taken out by the organizers for the duration of the event, for all material or corporal damage caused to a third party by a participant.
This policy includes additional coverage for medical assistance and repatriation for all participants.
This policy does not cover any damage to bike or equipment in case of a fall or in case of theft. Personal insurance must be bought to cover those risks.
In all places riders have to care for their personal belongings. The ACP cannot be held responsible in case of loss or theft.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #8 on: 31 December, 2018, 09:38:59 pm »
I can only comment that I have doubts about French insurance on PBP. when organising LEL and trying to get 3rd party insurance cover for our riders I have asked PBP organisers for the name of a contact at their insurance company.. they have never replied ..I admit  this was for previous events when they said insurance was in place for all riders .. it looks as if 2019 may be different .. but frankly for a modest 1 week travel cover I would spend the money rather than find that I was in a battle with PBP organisers and their insurer about what their cover actually meant.. while lying in a bed in some French hospital. I can tell you for certain that NO UK insurer is allowed to cover a non resident for 3rd party risks .. and I can not see why France should be any different
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #9 on: 31 December, 2018, 11:08:38 pm »
A club mate hit a pothole in Majorca resulting in a fractured pelvis. A few days in a Majorcan hospital before a £7000 Learjet flight home covered by Travel insurance. EHIC is great for small injury where the excess is too high on travel insurance. Not worth the risk not to have insurance.

« Reply #10 on: 01 January, 2019, 02:36:11 am »
I can tell you for certain that NO UK insurer is allowed to cover a non resident for 3rd party risks

Blimey. That must make things rather difficult for car hire companies.

A *very* quick google turned up Voyager, who seem very happy to flog travel insurance to folk resident anywhere in the world, albeit their personal liability cover has limits that would be derisory in the face of a personal injury claim.

Strikes me that it's most likely a commercial decision not to offer such cover, not a question of being allowed to.

(Hang on. Wasn't the policy you negotiated to make available for LEL '17 riders specifically to ensure that non-residents *could* get 3rd-party cover, as well as other benefits? Have things changed such that no-one is now prepared to offer cover? )

« Reply #11 on: 01 January, 2019, 02:55:39 am »
Traffic incidents in France are usually handled through a document called a 'Constat Amiable'. An agreed description is entered on a document, and that's sent to the respective parties insurers. It's very useful to have a French insurer handling it. The PBP insurer is shown on the brevet card, in 2015 it was Mondial Assistance.

In the event of an incident it's likely that the organisation will give you a hand. In 2003 I collided with a scooter, and I tried to get the CTC insurer interested in the case, they did nothing.

Here's an article on what to do in an incident involving a bicycle, it's in French, but then again, you'll be in France.
https://partagetarue94.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/accident-a-velo-que-faire/

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #12 on: 01 January, 2019, 09:29:41 pm »
I can tell you for certain that NO UK insurer is allowed to cover a non resident for 3rd party risks

(Hang on. Wasn't the policy you negotiated to make available for LEL '17 riders specifically to ensure that non-residents *could* get 3rd-party cover, as well as other benefits? Have things changed such that no-one is now prepared to offer cover? )

It was a travel policy available as if LEL was a  tour operators .. cancellation , theft 3rd party etc .. not just 3rd party cover
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #13 on: 01 January, 2019, 11:05:43 pm »

It was a travel policy available as if LEL was a  tour operators .. cancellation , theft 3rd party etc .. not just 3rd party cover

Er, yes. Third party cover for individuals is usually part of an insurance package. That doesn't mean it's unavailable, still less that insurers aren't permitted to offer it.

I'm really struggling to square your assertion that no UK insurer may cover a non resident for 3rd party risks with the obvious fact that many policies - including the one you arranged for LEL riders - do in fact include such cover.

Ben T

« Reply #14 on: 01 January, 2019, 11:45:16 pm »
If you want to get travel insurance for PBP, when they ask the type of activity, do you have to declare it as "cycle racing" or can you get away with the "cycle touring" category?
I usually use snow card and they ask this question.

« Reply #15 on: 05 January, 2019, 01:57:31 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far.

As some have said a standard travel policy may be okay, and that's the bit I'm struggling with. For my own peace of mind I want a policy that, should I need to use it, I know will be okay. My impression of most insurance companies is that if they can find a get out clause at claim time they'll happily use it.

Of the policies I've looked at that covering cycling the provided catogories are usually touring or racing, with nothing which would fit Audax. The closest I've found so far is this one:

https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/sports-travel-insurance/

The 72 hour limit makes it a none starter

On a general note I'm also happy to pay more to be with a reliable company as opposed to one that provides a cheap quote & you only find out how they keep their costs down when you need their help (1)

(1) When I was dinghy sailing, most people used one company whose premiums were relatively high, but they covered all your dinghy kit, including extra masts and sails, replaced old for new, and always settled claims promptly and efficiently. We were all happy to pay the higher premiums knowing that it was good value for money.

« Reply #16 on: 05 January, 2019, 06:03:27 pm »
We did cover this elsewhere. The assumption from the organisers is that French riders are covered through their membership of the relevant cycling bodies. Those not 'licensed' were covered in 2015 by the organisation's policy.
For your piece of mind, the organisers of PARIS BREST PARIS have made enquiries about our insurance cover during the event.
They have contacted the insurance companies on your behalf.
 Member of F.F.C.T.
Your are covered under the insurance taken out by your Federation (PETIT OR GRAND BRAQUET) or by your club.  Members of F.S.G.T. and U.F.O.L.E.P., other licensed participants
You can take advantage of the cover provided under the terms of your membership
  All those taking part
1) Cover has been subscribed to (contract n° V304148),
For F.F.C.T., F.S.G.T., and U.F.O.L.E.P. licence holders, this cover supplements the insurance provided under your licence, or provides it where there is none.
In the case of an accident :
- Emergency Transport and First Aid costs(non-refundable through the Welfare system) up to 400 € (euros)
        - Hospital costs ... - Repatriation costs (including those to Country of Origin) ...........................................
In the event of death :
- Repatriation of body (including those to Country of Origin) ........................................
In case of cancellation :
- Registration fees refund ...................................................................................................
2) In the event of a claim
* Necessitating repatriation (following an accident during the PBP) - You must if you hold a licence,
up to 4 000 € (euros) Reasonable Cost
Reasonable Cost
Reasonable Cost
  telephone, or have someone telephone for you, your federation who will explain what to do to be repatriated
- If you do not have repatriation cover with your licence or if you are not licensed
 phone, or have someone phone for you, MONDIAL ASSISTANCE (tel. n° +33 (0) 142 990 805)  quoting code - N° V304148
For acceptance, repatriation must be authorised or carried out by MODIAL ASSISTANCE.
* For a cancellation
- You must declare any event forcing him to cancel his PBP registration. This declaration has to be made within 5 working days, except in the case of force majeure, after he has become aware of this fact :
  either, directly on the website: www.mondial-assistance.fr
  or by telephone Monday to Friday, between 9 am and 6 pm at 01 42 99 03 95
* Other incidents
- You must, for thosetaking part who hold FFCT, FSGT, UFOLEP or any other licence, take the steps recommended by the appropriate licencing authority,
- If you are not licensed
 Cabinet GOMIS GARRIGUES Tel : +33(0)561 528 860 / 80 Allée des Demoiselles 31 400 TOULOUSE Please send full details of your claim : You should enclose any supporting documentation (your entry details to the
event, accident declaration form, medical certificates, invoices, witnesses’reports)
YOU MUST ALWAYS GIVE YOUR PBP COMPETITOR'S NUMBER AND YOUR FULL ADDRESS.

The most obvious way to extend your cover would be to join FFCT, now called FF Velo, FSGT or UFOLEP.

I'd take the view that ACP are covering those aspects which are outside the remit of a normal travel policy, much as Carre Neige would cover off piste excursions while skiing. So I'd just go for a 'Gold' travel package, as the additional risks are already covered.

« Reply #17 on: 21 June, 2019, 06:11:29 pm »
So what travel package have people opted for?  My wife would be happier if I take out some kine of insurance.

« Reply #18 on: 21 June, 2019, 06:23:20 pm »
So what travel package have people opted for?  My wife would be happier if I take out some kine of insurance.

I went with Snowcard https://www.snowcard.co.uk/
They responded very quickly to my initial inquiry & confirmed I will be covered while riding PBP.
You need to select Adventure Plus, then Cycle touring - road racing.

There are lots of options to tailor the cover to your specific needs in terms of excess, personal property, bike cover, etc.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #20 on: 22 June, 2019, 03:22:34 pm »
I have an annual policy (currently with travel Republic) that covers the family. It has bands of cover for sports but I take out the highest so it covers everything including off piste skiing and diving. It's just under 100 quid. Look on one of the comparison sites.     
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

« Reply #21 on: 22 June, 2019, 05:18:11 pm »
Yellow Jersey are one of the few who will cover TCR -- you need their 'ultimate' package (about £75). They seem to know what they're about, and are helpful on the phone.  I'd give them a ring about PBP -- I'd guess it should be a lot less.  (The £75 is for personal insurance only, ie bike is not covered.)

« Reply #22 on: 23 June, 2019, 02:22:48 pm »

Snowcard: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=59453.msg1227854#msg1227854

I'm not sure a single comment of "Anyone other than Snowcard" is very helpful one way or the other, more information would be required to draw a conclusion.
I've done a Google search for Snowcard reviews, which didn't show up a lot; a couple of good reviews & one poor review which I didn't give much credence to (1)Ultimately with any insurance you'll only know how good or bad the company is if you are in the unfortunate position of having to claim.

(1) Snowboarder with a broken collar bone, who decided he didn't want to go to hospital in France and thought the Insurance company should fly him home for treatment.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 23 June, 2019, 03:01:26 pm »

I'm not sure a single comment of "Anyone other than Snowcard" is very helpful one way or the other, more information would be required to draw a conclusion.
I've done a Google search for Snowcard reviews, which didn't show up a lot; a couple of good reviews & one poor review which I didn't give much credence to (1)Ultimately with any insurance you'll only know how good or bad the company is if you are in the unfortunate position of having to claim.

The forum user was a PBP 2007 DNF resulting hospitalization. I can't remember the details (they may have gotten lost in the old ACF site?) but I do recall that Snowcard were feck-all use to him.

As you say
"...you'll only know how good or bad the company is if you are in the unfortunate position of having to claim."
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #24 on: 23 June, 2019, 03:22:20 pm »

The forum user was a PBP 2007 DNF resulting hospitalization. I can't remember the details (they may have gotten lost in the old ACF site?) but I do recall that Snowcard were feck-all use to him.

As you say
"...you'll only know how good or bad the company is if you are in the unfortunate position of having to claim."

More details here. In the same thread there's someone who had a positive comment for Snowcard after a claim connected with PBP. 
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur