Author Topic: Routes: Dieppe ---> Rambouillet  (Read 7225 times)

Phil W

Routes: Dieppe ---> Rambouillet
« on: 14 May, 2019, 09:09:21 pm »
I have worked out a route to Rambouillet from the Ferry Port at Dieppe.  I am a fan of Avenue Verte so it takes that as far as Forges les Eaux before departing onto the quiet D roads.  It leans a little on the route our ferry group took to Vernon in 2015 but strikes a bit more directly for Rambouillet.  I have plotted where suitable cafes / restaurants / bars exist for Normandy cider top ups but those details are not in Ridewithgps yet as I don't use Ridewithgps for plotting stuff.

It is 189km (I have stripped out the final 3km bit to where I am staying) with 1349m of ascent according to RideWithGPS

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30108965

Feel free to post your alternate routes if you have worked any out, but I thought I would get us started.

Diesel

• or Richard
Re: Routes: Dieppe ---> Rambouillet
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2019, 09:23:53 pm »
Looks good Phil, looking forward to it

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2019, 09:31:11 pm »
Thanks Phil, I had a brief look, but from a point of ignorance in that I don't know any of the route, it looked a lot like yours!

Aidenf mentioned at the weekend about maybe increasing the route and doing a group perm 200 both ways (he's chasing points).

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2019, 09:37:02 pm »
He can go do a 12km loop whilst I have another cider...

I rather like the fact that the to / from the event doesn't have time limits or become an Audax.  It makes for a more relaxing time either side of the event. I don't want someone twitching to go when there is still half a bottle of cider to be finished.

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2019, 06:28:51 am »
That does sound a more relaxed experience I have to say  :thumbsup:

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2019, 03:18:57 pm »
Seems you can't add waypoints (in RWGPS) unless you have a subscription. 

List of potential stops along the route

37km Neufchatel-en-Bray - second breakfast - Coffee and Bakery stop (our ferry group stopped here at Nemrod bar in 2015)
94km Etrepagny - Lunch - Various pizza places, bakeries, restaurants, bars
121km Gasny - Supermarket and bakery
131km Bonnieres-sur-Seine - Various places including pizza, bars, cafes etc.
144km - Breval -  Our ferry group stopped here in 2015 at the kebab / burger / takeaway / cafe.

I have changed the route to leave the Avenue Verte after the first stop and bypass Forges-Les-Eaux as it gives simpler navigation (with no change in overall distance) along the D1 for the next 30km.

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2019, 03:50:43 pm »
I have put together a simplified route sheet from Dieppe to Rambouillet, the routesheet fits on one side of A4 and folds to A6.  The route sheet doesn't cover every roundabout and turn and only picks up where the road names change.  The French are pretty good at labelling their roads.  I have tweaked my route slightly to make the routesheet easier to follow. Route sheet is available to anyone that wants it.

I have broken the route down into  37km, 57km, 37km, 58km stages between food / drink stops.  Loosely breakfast, elevenses, late lunch, then maybe regather later on for supper in Rambouillet.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2019, 04:25:42 pm »
... only picks up where the road names change.  The French are pretty good at labelling their roads. 

Though D road numbers often change 'not at a junction' with the only clue being a change in road surface.  Approaching Rambouillet you might want to consider hooking in with (or avoiding ! ) riders arriving from Caen, who will probably approach via Evreux and then Ivry or Ezy
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2019, 04:29:57 pm »
... only picks up where the road names change.  The French are pretty good at labelling their roads. 

Though D road numbers often change 'not at a junction' with the only clue being a change in road surface.  Approaching Rambouillet you might want to consider hooking in with (or avoiding ! ) riders arriving from Caen, who will probably approach via Evreux and then Ivry or Ezy

True and I have noted where road names change but road is straight.  As long as I do not think it will cause any confusion I have left instructions out in those cases.  The only examples I could see on my route was entering villages shortly before a turn to a new road anyway.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2019, 04:33:37 pm »

Still to identify a route from Ouistream, and there's no thread, was kind of hoping somebody else would start one...

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2019, 04:37:53 pm »

Still to identify a route from Ouistream, and there's no thread, was kind of hoping somebody else would start one...

Postie is probably the lead man for the Portsmouth crew.  Do you know if you are on the same ferry as them?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 22 May, 2019, 04:41:53 pm »

Postie is probably the lead man for the Portsmouth crew.  Do you know if you are on the same ferry as them?

Not started looking around yet, there's ages to go, I haven't even got a rough plan on getting back to Ouistream.
I'll probably start a thread later not my though process is fired up

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #12 on: 22 May, 2019, 05:10:46 pm »
Last time I did it (2007) there were quite a lot of us leaving the Caen area via Troarn for breakfast, then very laney options avoiding Lisieux (but I can't remember the details - S of Liseux it soon gets a bit lumpy so we may have gone N) and avoiding Bernay and going through Beaumont-le-Roger (nice place) and overnighting at Evreux (chain hotels - up a bloody great hill).  Then easy half-day out through the Dreux Forest and Houdac.  I can dig out an old tracklog if wanted.  Sorry about off-topic Phil.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #13 on: 23 May, 2019, 10:26:37 am »
The prospect of a ~200km ride to the start of a 1,200km ride is giving me pause for my travel plans – or, specifically, the prospect of a ~200km ride back to the ferry with a sore everything is. Is that the general plan? Ride there and back..?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #14 on: 23 May, 2019, 10:52:32 am »
The prospect of a ~200km ride to the start of a 1,200km ride is giving me pause for my travel plans – or, specifically, the prospect of a ~200km back to the ferry with a sore everything is. Is that the general plan? Ride there and back..?

My thoughts for the route back includes use of the OUI.SNCF phone app...

Phil W

« Reply #15 on: 23 May, 2019, 11:09:39 am »
The prospect of a ~200km ride to the start of a 1,200km ride is giving me pause for my travel plans – or, specifically, the prospect of a ~200km ride back to the ferry with a sore everything is. Is that the general plan? Ride there and back..?

It's what we did in 2015 though we cycled down over two days then.

Going there you are off the overnight ferry by around 5am.  So even taking 14 hours to cover 190km you will be in Rambouillet by 7pm.  You then have two days before the 90 hour start.  On the way back we met at the Velodrome at 8:00am though some were a little late.  We then reached Dieppe for about 9-9:30pm for a meal then at 11pm on to the overnight ferry.  The route back in 2015 was 10km shorter at 178km but had an extra 300m of climbing.

It works ok and we have suitable breaks along the way for cider and food.

« Reply #16 on: 23 May, 2019, 11:26:54 am »
Agreed, it worked well - easy pace, frequent refreshment stops ...

Phil W

« Reply #17 on: 23 May, 2019, 11:49:52 am »
I even had time to visit the Crack Bazar on the way back

Did I say we had time for cider and beer?

« Reply #18 on: 23 May, 2019, 11:57:24 am »
I guess crack would take the edge off standing on the pedals for the return 180km.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #19 on: 23 May, 2019, 03:56:50 pm »
I'm only planning to ride back, and I'll probably take it easy on the way back, taking Friday and Saturday to get to Dieppe (possible overnight in Vernon) but I'm following this with interest for routes and potential for food/cider stops.  :D

Current route thoughts:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29988786
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #20 on: 23 May, 2019, 05:22:02 pm »
I have put together a simplified route sheet from Dieppe to Rambouillet

Phil W thank you for putting together this and the RwGPS route. Really helpful and looks a lovely way to get there.

The RwGPS file is obviously no problem to find, but I'm struggling a bit to download the route sheet or to see all of it on your post. I'm probably just being a bit thick, but do you have a link to a dropbox file or suchlike?
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

« Reply #21 on: 23 May, 2019, 05:25:37 pm »
just seen this thread...planned my route to Les Essarts some months ago

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29218320?privacy_code=DlCa3JBGUZhcCPuE

Phil W

« Reply #22 on: 23 May, 2019, 05:37:09 pm »
I have put together a simplified route sheet from Dieppe to Rambouillet

Phil W thank you for putting together this and the RwGPS route. Really helpful and looks a lovely way to get there.

The RwGPS file is obviously no problem to find, but I'm struggling a bit to download the route sheet or to see all of it on your post. I'm probably just being a bit thick, but do you have a link to a dropbox file or suchlike?

You're not being thick. I haven't put the route sheet up in Dropbox yet.  I like to have a quick scan through once produced to see if I've made any obvious errors. Will likely put a link here in early June once 600 qualifier out of the way.  I also need to update RWGPS so they align as I made some small tweaks to keep it on easier roads to describe in a route sheet.

Phil W

« Reply #23 on: 23 May, 2019, 05:38:30 pm »
just seen this thread...planned my route to Les Essarts some months ago

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29218320?privacy_code=DlCa3JBGUZhcCPuE

How many orchards do you stop at?

« Reply #24 on: 24 May, 2019, 07:14:43 am »
I must confess that I've not done my homework on that, Phil  :facepalm: