Author Topic: The Bread Thread  (Read 107908 times)

Re: The Bread Thread
« Reply #350 on: 15 May, 2020, 03:06:17 pm »
I did have The kitchen cabinet on but as always people keep interrupting me at work when I'm trying to listen to interesting things

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #351 on: 15 May, 2020, 03:41:45 pm »
No the Panasonic has a dedicated rye bread mode (and dedicated rye paddle) and recipes for rye.  It did have more water than the standard white loaf.

Can you put my mind at rest, please? We are onto our 3rd Panasonic (got the first one about 16 years ago) and I'm convinced that the rye paddle came with it as standard. But I can't find it! My dear wife tells me she thinks it didn't and she's never seen it.

I've only every used rye flour as an additive - up to 50g in a 400g loaf, so there's never been  need to use the rye-specific paddle.

Incidenally, it looks as though Marriages are catching up with their stock again. Most of their lines are online now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #352 on: 15 May, 2020, 03:46:48 pm »
My Panasonic came with a rye paddle as standard. Used it once without much success.

« Reply #353 on: 15 May, 2020, 04:07:21 pm »
Yup Rye paddle came with it. Has some cut outs in it compared to the standard one. I'm amazed I found it as it got chucked in a draw two years ago when I got the bread maker and this week was the first time I needed it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #354 on: 16 May, 2020, 11:35:35 pm »
I've just tried a dark rye recipie. That was a bit sticky, and hasn't come out very loaf like - despite rising better than most dough during the day.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #355 on: 18 May, 2020, 02:16:43 pm »
I bought some of this: https://flour.co.uk/view/country-malt-16kg-sack.

I made the first loaf with it this morning. Absolutely outstanding!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #356 on: 18 May, 2020, 07:28:19 pm »
Try this:

200g sourdough starter.
250ml of water @ 28°C (ish) (1/3 boiling 2/3 cold).
400g Canadian Very Strong white flour.

Chuck it all in bowl. Mix with a spatula, leave for 25 mins to ‘autolyse’ (soak up the water properly).
Add 10g salt.
Knead on low speed in mixer for about  10mins.
Cling film over mixing bowl and leave to bulk prove at normal room temp for about 3-4hrs or until the dough has about doubled in size.  Should look like meringue.

Turn out. Shape. Bench rest 15 min.

Fold and shape.
Place into proving basket. 3-4hrs for final rise.

Pre-set cloche or cast iron casserole in oven

Bake in cloche at 240°C for 42min. (Take lid off at 25-30 min).

So we scaled that down to our banaton/dutch oven and got this:-

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #357 on: 18 May, 2020, 07:34:32 pm »
That looks very good. I had a go using "strong bread flour" from the local farm shop and going for a boule loaf (see previous discussions on proving basket size).  The basket was fine but I obviously need to work on my dough shaping as it collapsed when I tipped it out from the basket. An upturned stainless casserole did the job of the cloche.

Taste and structure is fine, a marked improvement on the original recipe. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #358 on: 18 May, 2020, 08:04:20 pm »
Try this:

200g sourdough starter.
250ml of water @ 28°C (ish) (1/3 boiling 2/3 cold).
400g Canadian Very Strong white flour.

Chuck it all in bowl. Mix with a spatula, leave for 25 mins to ‘autolyse’ (soak up the water properly).
Add 10g salt.
Knead on low speed in mixer for about  10mins.
Cling film over mixing bowl and leave to bulk prove at normal room temp for about 3-4hrs or until the dough has about doubled in size.  Should look like meringue.

Turn out. Shape. Bench rest 15 min.

Fold and shape.
Place into proving basket. 3-4hrs for final rise.

Pre-set cloche or cast iron casserole in oven

Bake in cloche at 240°C for 42min. (Take lid off at 25-30 min).

Stunning work.

Bet that crust is like fresh baguette in France  :P

« Reply #359 on: 18 May, 2020, 08:06:38 pm »

Last night's effort

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #360 on: 18 May, 2020, 08:48:05 pm »

Strong work on the baker’s signature. :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #361 on: 18 May, 2020, 09:22:08 pm »
Quim!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #362 on: 18 May, 2020, 09:44:55 pm »
Does it smell yeasty?

« Reply #363 on: 21 May, 2020, 04:30:25 pm »
Tales from the baguette bakery, Part III

Rocking the T55. Using a 70% hydration dough, I tried making baking utensils from foil. Crunched up, rolled flat and smeared with oil then rolled into half pipes, I would call this a qualified success

Here's the part baked ones  (only one bellied out)

here's the fully baked one

And an action shot

Cooked @ 220 on circotherm intensive, with a full width pan of water, crust is perfect. Consistency needs a little work still, but that's not too shabby at all.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #364 on: 25 May, 2020, 07:10:56 pm »
Latest attempt, using Flatus' recipe, although I had to substitute 70g wholemeal flour as I didn't quite have enough white.
Kneaded by hand, shaped, rested and shaped again. The "drawing towards you" bit of the shaping seems tpo be the key.

Fan oven 230C, dish of water in when I put the oven on, baked on a pizza stone.

Good points: nice rising in the oven, didn't spread out all over the shop. Bad: cuts didn't open up.

« Reply #365 on: 25 May, 2020, 07:57:33 pm »
Bread V2 of the Flatus recipe, very happy with the results!
Pizza steel on order, using it for both bread and pizza (obv) - anyone got a reliable sourdough pizza base recipe.

https://i.ibb.co/VVyVVNM/Bread-2.jpg[/img]]

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #366 on: 26 May, 2020, 03:22:25 pm »
Lidl are selling a pizza peel for £10

« Reply #367 on: 26 May, 2020, 04:21:53 pm »
Anyone tried oat flour in a breadmaker (gluten free program?)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #368 on: 26 May, 2020, 07:04:36 pm »
Pizza steel on order, using it for both bread and pizza (obv) - anyone got a reliable sourdough pizza base recipe.

That looks like it's going to be delicious. Good spring, nice crust.

Fuck. Listen to me  ;D

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #369 on: 27 May, 2020, 07:04:35 pm »
Today I mixed dough with the old kenwood, think it needs an oil change in the gearbox as it is noisy ;)

Used 250g hovis white and 250g alinson wholemeal and seeds packet of yeast and a 9g pink himalayan salt.  Stuck it in the fridge for an overnight prove and tomorrow will take it out, knock it back and then decide to either let it have a second prove in the fridge or two proves in the hot flat.

Also did a 350g 00 pizza flour dough mix with a shot of olive oil, so tomorrow night is pizza night.  Will use the ceramic stone or the mason and cole terracotta pizza stone as the pizza steel is in a box somewhere.

« Reply #370 on: 27 May, 2020, 07:16:40 pm »

That looks like it's going to be delicious. Good spring, nice crust.

Fuck. Listen to me  ;D

It was superb!
You should be proud as it's your recipe and method.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #371 on: 29 May, 2020, 04:29:51 pm »
So mixed some dough, it has spent about 36 or more hours in the fridge proving.  Now separated in two and out in the warm for a second prove, then one baked in a le crueset cast iron casserole dish and the other in a bakeware non glazed loaf dish.

This is the ceramic baker https://www.lakeland.co.uk/AllProductReviews.action?productId=16075&productName=Ceramic%25202lb%2520Loaf%2520Pan I just dropped the proved loaf in to the heated ceramic, lets see what happens.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #372 on: 29 May, 2020, 08:28:07 pm »
Today was a bad bread day.

Using Flatus' recipe, I thought things would be OK. The difference between this attempt (which was an abject failure) and the previous (which was a success) was that I used all white flour. The previous attempt had around 70g wholemeal.  I suspect this is why the dough was so sticky this time and as my kneading is by hand it I found it too stciky to knead properly. The proving went OK but the shaping was a combination of Loud Bad Swears, some throwing of objects and a sticky mess on my hands. I managed to persuade it into the proving basket but it was fairly structureless.

Things got better when it came to tipping out the proving basket onto the floured pizza stone. Firstly the dough clung to the basket, so what ended up on the stone was a bit torn. I slashed it with a razor blade and picked up the stone. I was a bit hasty and the dough then slid off the floured stone onto the the cooker. Fuck fuck fuck.

I rescued it and stuck it in the oven, covering it with an upturned casserole. Then I didn't hear the timer so it came out burnt.

Tastes nice enough though.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #373 on: 29 May, 2020, 08:33:20 pm »
SO was over the moon to find an unopened tin of Allinson yeast in my cupboard, part of the 2019 Brexit hoard.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #374 on: 29 May, 2020, 08:36:05 pm »
@Tim Hall Strong flours can hold more water, so if not strong reduce water a little bit.

Anyway, I invented something new today. I made a sort of tasty leavened flatbread today in an outside wood oven. Stuck some blended plum tomatoes on it and some of that Italian snot  cheese.

Tasted pretty good.  I reckon it'll catch on.