Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 286509 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #2150 on: 06 September, 2022, 01:03:38 pm »
Had full-on thunderstorms the last two nights running in Pompey, and one thunderclap just now - which Lightningmaps tells me is from a discharge a couple of miles out to sea off Hayling Island. Teletext is forecasting thunderstorms in the south Hampshire area through to Thursday inclusive...
I'm seriously surprised this still exists.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #2151 on: 06 September, 2022, 01:07:32 pm »
Had full-on thunderstorms the last two nights running in Pompey, and one thunderclap just now - which Lightningmaps tells me is from a discharge a couple of miles out to sea off Hayling Island. Teletext is forecasting thunderstorms in the south Hampshire area through to Thursday inclusive...

I'm using that term as shorthand for the digital TV text service on BBC1/2, OK?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2152 on: 06 September, 2022, 01:08:11 pm »

It evolved into MHEG, but I didn't think anyone ever actually used it...

« Reply #2153 on: 06 September, 2022, 01:12:54 pm »
Thunderstorm last night about 2200. First one this year that I can remember
We've had 'em two nights in a row now. It's nice not needing to water everything. Shower & washing-up water's been going on the garden for a while.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2154 on: 06 September, 2022, 03:15:37 pm »

Southend Pier last night.

My machine recorded 9.6mm.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2155 on: 06 September, 2022, 04:06:28 pm »
Just had a 10 minute burst of very heavy rain.  Now it's calmed down a bit but there is thunder in the distance.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2156 on: 06 September, 2022, 04:48:12 pm »
And a tornado in Scotland.  Bonnyrigg, just outside Edinburgh.

https://twitter.com/kjw436/status/1567163745930969088

« Reply #2157 on: 06 September, 2022, 05:57:46 pm »
A few rumbles of thunder earlier have been followed by the heaviest rain I've seen in ages.
No tornadoes this side of Edinburgh, though! :o

« Reply #2158 on: 07 September, 2022, 04:48:01 pm »
Rain, thunder & lightning in Liverpool.  Just when I wanted to pop out to the shops.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2159 on: 08 September, 2022, 04:40:43 pm »
So far, the temperature today has failed to reach 20°C. The last time that happened was 19th June.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2160 on: 09 September, 2022, 05:35:24 am »
It is half-past nine of the evening clock here* and 38 degrees outside.  I am therefore not going foraging for food or even milk tonight.

* Abroad, of the Californian variety
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2161 on: 09 September, 2022, 01:59:10 pm »
So far, the temperature today has failed to reach 20°C. The last time that happened was 19th June.

That is probably a better indicator of global warming than the extreme high temperatures that were experienced this summer.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2162 on: 09 September, 2022, 06:02:41 pm »
I just got caught in a thunderstorm and flash flooding at Earlswood.  You know the sort of rain that's so heavy it hurts like hail?  That.

(Standards of back-to-school Landrover driving were unaffected.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2163 on: 10 September, 2022, 10:24:05 am »
Unpleasant here today: 15°C with a max of 17 forecast, wind gusting to fierce and rain due later.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2164 on: 15 September, 2022, 06:57:26 pm »
16°C in the lounge now. I can see I will be capitulating and putting the heating on before long.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2165 on: 15 September, 2022, 07:02:49 pm »
We are at the flat tonight and I forgot a jacket. Heating on for a few minutes.

« Reply #2166 on: 15 September, 2022, 07:15:45 pm »
16°C in the lounge now. I can see I will be capitulating and putting the heating on before long.

I expect our ‘stat to kick in tomorrow morning, tho it may hold out until Saturday (Friday low of 6 forecast).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2167 on: 15 September, 2022, 08:11:13 pm »
First time since June that I had to wear a warm top  :'(
the slower you go the more you see

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2168 on: 15 September, 2022, 10:58:24 pm »
Apart from the riders I seem to be the only person here in shorts and T-shaped shirts.  Even the self-style "Northern Monkeys" are wearing a Several of layers out in the desert in the morning.  C'mon, it was 14 deg. C this morning, ya wusses!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2169 on: 15 September, 2022, 11:05:30 pm »
The car reported 13.5°C at about 11am as we drove from Hope to Monsal Head.

« Reply #2170 on: 16 September, 2022, 07:48:01 am »
I'm still in shorts but my upper body feels the cold and I need to keep my back warm to avoid back pain  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #2171 on: 16 September, 2022, 11:01:01 am »
Frost here overnight, and a sharp Northerly wind - it feels so cold!
Out on bike for an hour yesterday. Wooly socks, boots, 3/4 tights, long sleeve wooly base, windproof jacket, buff, full finger gloves. My hands were still cold.
Soon be time to install the pogies.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2172 on: 16 September, 2022, 02:32:52 pm »
I WANT MY HEATWAVE BACK.  BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2173 on: 16 September, 2022, 03:15:43 pm »
The car reported 13.5°C at about 11am as we drove from Hope to Monsal Head.

07:15 & 5 degrees and I'm about to go and stand around in the desert for three or four hours.  Where's me jumper?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2174 on: 16 September, 2022, 04:41:43 pm »
I noticed the Little Blue Light™ by the front door that indicates there's a window open somewhere was off earlier, and we hadn't just closed them before leaving the house.  Technically, that means the central heating is now on, though it hasn't got cold enough to run yet.