Author Topic: Old gadgy with trailer encounter  (Read 6054 times)

Old gadgy with trailer encounter
« on: 29 March, 2008, 04:14:54 pm »
I don't normally post about close encounters with motors, it happens and is part of life on the road. I have them though. I had one today, only my fourth ride since my crash back in October. I'd covered about 15 miles had the wind behind me, floating along, sunny and hardly any traffic. Traversing a roundabout above the M1, it's last junction, number 47. I didn't need to give way so I bowls on, past the entrance to the southbound carriage way, I was going to exit at the next exit I then move across to the left hand side of my lane. The ramp up from the northbound carriageway is quite short and steep, I saw a car coming up but knew he was moving a little too quickly to stop at the line. I am extra vigilant at the moment as I rediscover my confidence and road craft. I was being blown along so I let myself drift to the right to ride give this car more space. He didn't see me, that is clear, I executed a rear wheel skid to turn the bike to the right and was parallel to the car by the time he stopped to allow me to ride around the front of him. No problermo, he got a mouthful from me, he mouthed an apology and all was well.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: Old gadgy with trailer encounter
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2008, 09:42:34 pm »
What on earth is a "gadgy"?
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2008, 09:57:08 pm »

Well up here in Jockoland it definitely ain't a term of endearment. Generally used for folk who are schemie or a bit minging. I believe it ain't used as an insult down south (that's up north to you, FB)

Calling someone in Scotland a gadgy to their face is likely to result in a bout of fisticuffs.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:22:27 am »

from urban dictionary

" In North East of England, a bloke."

I am from NE England

Dometique

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:26:55 am »
gadgy is like a geezer  8)
bewer is a nice looking girl  8)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:38:36 am »

I'd say a gadgy or gadgie is more like a bam than a geezer.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:44:48 am »
bewer is a nice looking girl  8)

"I haven't snogged with a bewer for yonks"

« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2008, 02:35:44 pm »
I haven't heard anyone say bewer (pronounced beu-wer in these parts) for years ! Gady still reasonably common though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2008, 08:17:51 am »
It's a different world up there!!   :o :-\ :-\ :-\

With a completely different language. :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2008, 08:33:31 am »
I haven't heard anyone say bewer (pronounced beu-wer in these parts) for years ! Gady still reasonably common though.

Bewer was in common usage in Newark, when I lived there in the late '90s. Perhaps the term is migrating southwards?  ;D

Never heard 'Gadgy', though...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2008, 08:55:31 am »

Bewer was in common usage in Newark, when I lived there in the late '90s. Perhaps the term is migrating southwards?  ;D

Never heard 'Gadgy', though...

I hadn't until I moved up here. Definitely refers to a grown up chav or his grandfather..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:00:56 am »
Jimmy Nail used the term 'gadgy' in an episode of Auf Wiedersehen Pet.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2008, 12:19:44 pm »
Hmm - I'd always thought it was a variant on 'gorgio', being the Roma word for non-travellers.

Edit: Checked Chambers Dictionary, and it is.

That means anyone offended by being called a 'gadgy', is upset at being called 'not-a-pikey'  ???
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »
Gadgy isn't really an offensive word, you wouldn't call some one a gadgy to their face, you would not say "how ! gadgy", you'd refer to someone as a gadgy like I did. Since my man was travelling I suppose I was wrong to refer to him as a gadgy, but I am not a Roman.