Author Topic: The Red Lights are Nazis Trying to Stop Him  (Read 2517 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

The Red Lights are Nazis Trying to Stop Him
« on: 23 April, 2008, 09:36:04 am »
Shouted at a cyclist this morning.

I'd seen him earlier, prize pillock MTBer on a bouncey Spesh perpetrating a crime against trackstands as I turned into the road in front of him on a light sequence.

Two minutes later I stop at some red lights (pedestrian crossing) and a little after that a whoosh to my left and a flash of light blue (I was sitting primary in a bus lane) tells me he's just run the red light at speed. Of course, being a muppet he has little clue of riding in traffic and moves between the bus lane and normal traffic lane with the grace of an epileptic hippo. So I catch him. And pass him. And stop at the next lights.

He pulls alongside into something which I believe to resemble a trackstand then with the man still in a gree hue, and pedestrians still crossing, he sets off. At this point I let forth an invective.

It goes.

"Red again!"

There. That told him.

Mind you, the cyclist behind me is obviously happy someone said something. "Does he know what a red light's for?" he asks, "That's twice past me I reply." The pedestrians look bemused. The lights turn green and we head off. I would have caught him again if we weren't going different ways later on.

The conclusion I came to was that with his blue and orange Gulf Porsche coloured Spesh he thought he was Steve McQueen in Le Mans and had blurred the distinction with the Great Escape and so the red lights were the Nazis trying to stop him from escaping. It can be the only answer.

[EDIT] - I should point out that deep down being an MTBer myself, when I say 'prize pillock MTBer' I mean it in a bad sense which in no way passes comment on other MTBers who may or may not be prize pillocks.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: The Red Lights are Nazis Trying to Stop Him
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2008, 09:37:57 am »
Let's hope he tries to jump the barbed wire.
Getting there...

Becky

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2008, 09:54:28 am »
Was the handlebar cam recording it all for posterity?

He does score points, though, for the blue and orange colour scheme.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2008, 09:58:42 am »
Was the handlebar cam recording it all for posterity?

He does score points, though, for the blue and orange colour scheme.

It certainly was (though not the initial terrible trackstand as there was a car in between us). Pity the mic is so awful - I'm tempted to remove the wee rubber insert covering it to make it completely waterproof...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2008, 10:25:29 am »
I saw a fairly obvious RLJ in Kensington yesterday (I was crossing the road at the time - b'stard).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2008, 10:39:11 am »
Last Saturday, when I was bouncing across London and back on the Brompton, I saw not a single RLJer. There was one irritating person who wobbled past on my inside at some lights, but even he hesitated momentarily until red/amber showed. I think he assumed that a greying bloke in civvies on a folder wouldn't be that fast (Ha ha!).