Author Topic: A1 upgrade West/North Yorkshire  (Read 1850 times)

A1 upgrade West/North Yorkshire
« on: 28 April, 2008, 10:17:25 am »
A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a new road, well a majorly upgraded one from the last time I rode on it. It links the A1/A64 interchange to Bramham and runs parallel to the A1 on its western side. I presume this road is the non motorway alternative for when the A1 becomes the A1(M) at this point. Does anyone know if this road goes all the way to Wetherby now ? I presume the A64 to Wetherby stretch of the A1 is being upgraded to motorway standard with restricted access.

Re: A1 upgrade West/North Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:25:03 am »
I never noticed that. Mind you the bit between Bramham crossroads and Harrogate/Greenhamerton is probably the only bit of the A1 I never really use.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Re: A1 upgrade West/North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:33:55 am »
I should have said it runs parallel to the A1 on its eastern side. I approach this new road from Aberford up to the roundabout which I refer to as the A64/A1 interchange. It is a big junction and this roundabout is only part of it, west bound traffic on the A64 destined for the A1(M) south uses a slip and misses . The new road used to be a gated road for access to the farms but it was in good state of repair, it's very wide now, it didn't have it's final surface when i used a few weeks ago. This makes a good cycling road, or at least once it links to Wetherby it will will as then I could use the whole stretch to Dishforth, not picturesque, noisy but direct and relatively free of traffic. I have learned that the a661/A1 junction is closed and a new road exists from Wetherby south to the A659 roundabout. This might be heavily trafficked BUT there used to be a cycle track there anyway so if it still exists, we just need the Bramham to the A659 leg.