Author Topic: Forumite spotting  (Read 591015 times)

Re: Forumite spotting
« Reply #1325 on: 20 June, 2011, 08:48:31 pm »
I was shocked at the number of ambulances I saw on the route. I saw two in 300 yards on the run down off Ditchling to Brighton ...

That's a shame, because once you've done Ditchling, the run from there down to the A27 is quite nice (and then across continuing along Ditchling Road, or at least that's the FNRttC route).  On the last FNRttC, I managed to not see another cyclist from there until I got to the Madeira, which wasn't intentional!

I've got no real wish to do the BHF L2B, it just sounds far too busy.  The FNRttC equivalent, even with it's much busier numbers these days, is still comparatively easy going.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1326 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:27:28 pm »
I was shocked at the number of ambulances I saw on the route. I saw two in 300 yards on the run down off Ditchling to Brighton ...

That's a shame, because once you've done Ditchling, the run from there down to the A27 is quite nice (and then across continuing along Ditchling Road, or at least that's the FNRttC route).  On the last FNRttC, I managed to not see another cyclist from there until I got to the Madeira, which wasn't intentional!

I've got no real wish to do the BHF L2B, it just sounds far too busy.  The FNRttC equivalent, even with it's much busier numbers these days, is still comparatively easy going.

The L2B route turns left at Coldean Lane and drops steeply down under the A27 to the Lewes Road. The FNRttC route does the left and right over the A27 and is a much nicer run in to town. If they took it though it wouldn't be possible to tell people at the top of Ditchling Beacon that it is downhill all the way from there.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1327 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:36:47 pm »
Wednesday just after 5pm, Wobbly John in Chettisham heading to Littleport, wearing a rather definitive tango orange top. I was heading for an abortive trip to the bike shop.

Difficult not to spot me in that jersey, although a WVM managed not to spot me and sqeeeezed me to the kerb about 15 mins before you saw me.  >:(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1328 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:38:48 pm »
At least some of those transgressors probably would behave better on an FNRttC run.  A huge ride like that, it's an anonymous nearly-mob.  I find other ways to contribute to charity.  Not for me

There are two major issues - inexperienced and under-confident riders who are naturally overwhelmed by the crowded roads, and impatient (ATGANI) MAMILs who want to show off their amazing speed in inappropriate places. The first is inevitable and excusable, and can be mitigated with an encouraging word here and there. The second needs dealing with a little more robustly!

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #1329 on: 26 June, 2011, 08:09:32 pm »
Stumbled across Maidenhead Phil today at the Tutti Pole cafe in Hungerford.  He was en-route to Devizes, sporting his Audax England jersey;  I was on a quick morning blast out via Lambourn and back via Boxford/Chieveley.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #1330 on: 26 June, 2011, 08:59:09 pm »
arallsop this morning eastbound by Camberwell, and Aperitif stopped to say hello at the AM this afternoon.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #1331 on: 26 June, 2011, 09:50:02 pm »
... and Aperitif stopped to say hello at the AM this afternoon.

That made me wonder whether I should do some skating, to make up for my lack of cycling, but then thought that an involuntary splits when I inevitably go ass over tit, probably poses a bigger threat to damaging the hernia repair than anything I could do cycling!

Perhaps it's not such a good idea. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

AndyH

« Reply #1332 on: 27 June, 2011, 02:02:53 pm »
Just stepped out of a newsagents in York at 9 yesterday morning, when Jethro rode by sporting a purple YACF jersey.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1333 on: 27 June, 2011, 03:18:36 pm »
I was approached by a handsome smiley bearded man at York station, and I am embarrassed to say that I didn't recognise pcolbeck :-[

Lovely to see you, Pat.  Wish we'd had longer to chat.
Getting there...

« Reply #1334 on: 28 June, 2011, 11:01:24 am »
I was spotted this morning by a cheery chap,  whilst I was chatting to another random cyclist.    Saw them again as we approached Oval, then they where gone.

Green track bike with Carradice saddle bag.
Just someone's butler

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1335 on: 28 June, 2011, 11:44:23 am »
Possibly.

Last night, around 17:40, saw someone on a recumbent heading east on the A13 approaching Limehouse.  Anyone here?

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1336 on: 28 June, 2011, 12:32:21 pm »
I was spotted this morning by a cheery chap,  whilst I was chatting to another random cyclist.    Saw them again as we approached Oval, then they where gone.

You in Red YACF top & Dulwich Paragons shorts?  That was me!  Spotted your jersey and couldn't just skim past without a nod, but didn't want to interrupt your discussion with B&W chap on B&W Giant.  Amazed I haven't seen you before - just shows how a 5 minute earlier departure yields a whole new community.

FWIW, I am red Cliff Shrubb with green Carradice.  Oh, and very lovely wooden 'guards.  I'll hang out for a chat next time.

« Reply #1337 on: 28 June, 2011, 01:55:52 pm »

You in Red YACF top & Dulwich Paragons shorts?  That was me!  Spotted your jersey and couldn't just skim past without a nod, but didn't want to interrupt your discussion with B&W chap on B&W Giant.  Amazed I haven't seen you before - just shows how a 5 minute earlier departure yields a whole new community.

FWIW, I am red Cliff Shrubb with green Carradice.  Oh, and very lovely wooden 'guards.  I'll hang out for a chat next time.

Hi,  yes that was me.
Sorry to have confused the colour of your bike and the carradice..
thanks for saying hi,  I haven't seen anyone i knew in months, then suddenly I have a day with two people.  Must admit no idea who the chap i was talking to is,  but we have chatted a few times over the last few years,  regular strangers for want of a better term.

I will look out for you in future, as i was disappointed to have lost you in traffic as i was looking forward to comment on your fine bicycle.
Just someone's butler

« Reply #1338 on: 28 June, 2011, 03:12:12 pm »
Hi Andy

Hope you had a good ride up.  Good to see you again and will hopefully see you again soon.

« Reply #1339 on: 28 June, 2011, 05:39:32 pm »
Uncle Phil, spotted on his Bentech, at Monkgate as I turned in to go home....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #1340 on: 30 June, 2011, 08:47:22 am »
Not a forumite but a bike with an AUK sticker in an office car park in Hampshire - a very nice Lemond Tourmalet 853.

Safe from me though as the bars are very deep drop :)

Does it belong to anyone here?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1341 on: 03 July, 2011, 04:04:06 pm »
On my way to the Independence Day pootle I spotted 20-30 people pushing BorisBikes along the pavement next to St Paul's.  As I stopped to take a picture one of the crowd shouted my name - it was hirsutemagnalica on the job working, leading a tour group (he had his own bike).

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1342 on: 03 July, 2011, 04:12:49 pm »
Mr Richard Evans, spotted just before the turn for Glandon yesterday at the start of La marmotte.
California Dreaming

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #1343 on: 03 July, 2011, 04:15:19 pm »
About 40 + girls on road bikes. Somewhere between Harrogate and Otlley. The scenery and weather was really nice though lots of girls on push bikes is even nicer.
Sorry I could'nt hang about.

Anyone of you girls on here then ?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1344 on: 03 July, 2011, 05:56:04 pm »
Woollypigs & jellied @ the Queensbury Eco-Cultural Festival.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1345 on: 03 July, 2011, 06:33:34 pm »
Yeah it was a grand day for forum spotting. Andrij, Hellymedic and Jellied at random places :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #1346 on: 03 July, 2011, 09:55:36 pm »

Indeed- a pleasant if painful afternoon. Managed to fall backwards over a child's bike that had moved behind me. My fall was broken by the chain ring.

A shitter and a giggler.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1347 on: 03 July, 2011, 09:57:54 pm »
Why didn't do that while I the camera out. Hope you mend quickly. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1348 on: 03 July, 2011, 10:41:32 pm »

Indeed- a pleasant if painful afternoon. Managed to fall backwards over a child's bike that had moved behind me. My fall was broken by the chain ring.

OUCHY!
Prize selection of BSOs proffered to poor, long-suffering Drs Bike to both my port and starboard hands. One had a flat tyre and an inner tube which had drifted so far that there was no valve stem anywhere near the valve hole...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1349 on: 03 July, 2011, 11:03:31 pm »
A sad state of quality of care for bicycles was on a display today. I think I only saw tree that looked loved.