Author Topic: Severn Across 400 - 2015  (Read 13779 times)

Re: Severn Across 400 - 2015
« Reply #25 on: 09 April, 2015, 07:53:30 pm »
Thanks for opening this one up again, I'd been a bit delayed with entries this year for a few reasons so great to have the chance to ride. Cheers.

« Reply #26 on: 01 May, 2015, 10:54:32 am »
So a week to go.

Why is noone like me and posting hysterical messages about how far 400k is.

I did a 300k last weekend and survived, so hoping I can get through a 400. I found the Dean pretty lumpy, so don't expect to find this easy! I've only done one 400 before a few years ago, and I made a right ballsup of it, so hope to get through this one a little better. I'm not good when I should be in bed ;)

I keep hearing the route is really nice though :) I might have a proper look at the route sheet this weekend and see about all these night time options I hear tales of.

Martin

« Reply #27 on: 01 May, 2015, 11:45:16 am »
it's pretty easy compared to The Dean, a lot less lumpy so you won't take a lot longer to do the 400 than the 300. Take the Marlborough silliness and the hard climbs in the Forest of Dean out and add a flat 100 this side of Oxford.

I had a place but personal circumstances mean no SR for me this year (or indeed ever again) so I'll be plying you all with tea n toast at the start  :P

« Reply #28 on: 01 May, 2015, 10:55:54 pm »
Thank you for being the calming influence, because I am also feeling slightly hysterical. 
My first 300 was only a few weeks ago (Green and Yellow fields), and now I am planning on a 400!
Never mind the sleeping options, I am checking out the rail services for possible bale out options.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #29 on: 02 May, 2015, 06:42:08 am »
This was my 400 PBP qualifier in 2007 (my first PBP).  It looks like the route sheet is relatively unchanged.  It was a nice ride; it covers similar territory to the Dean but is not as hilly.  There's a few long drags over the Cotswolds, a really steep climb at Symonds Yat and the climb up to the Somerset monument that you do on the Dean.  The bit I found testing was navigating the little lanes between Membury and Streatley (and descending Streatley Hill) as nearly everyone does this in the dark.  If it is wet these chalky lanes are full of flints.  I probably went a bit hard in the first 150km as I struggled a bit on the way back.  Looking forward to it this time.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #30 on: 02 May, 2015, 08:34:29 am »
From membury go downhill all the way to the A4 at newbury and follow the A4, it's lit and easy to follow and has garages open all night.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #31 on: 02 May, 2015, 08:41:24 am »
It's very like the Dean in that the turn is at Chepstow. But the extra distance means you get there a bit later in the day.   
It's less hilly overall than the Dean but I find the step up to 400km makes a significant difference in overall difficulty. 
I've done it twice and both times had decent weather during the daytime but been surprised how cold it got after dark.
There are two steep (but not long) climbs: at Symonds Yat and the Somerset Memorial, the second also being on the Dean. Both can be avoided and substituted by something gentler if desired.
When you get to Malmesbury services, you have a choice for the last 100km between taking the dark lanes back or blasting down the A4. I've done the latter both times (and enjoyed suddenly finding myself on sections of TT courses along the way). I expect I'll do the same again this time as, by that stage, I'm keen to get back and I reckon the lanes would take me an extra half an hour. 

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #32 on: 03 May, 2015, 08:48:09 am »
Routecheck done.

Second go around for me - it's a lovely ride, particularly the outward bit, lots of pretty stuff (though it is a tour of Tory heartlands with all the banners etc. out currently).  Pretty simple routecheck - the only thing was the signpost that was missing last year, is now not missing!

As I was on fixed, I avoided Yat Rock - though I was surprised how long and hard the alternative was!  It climbs the same amount, just slightly gentler, but I was breathing out my arse by the end of it.  Only other really steep bits are Somerset Monument (had a little walk on the middle section) and the hill right at the end at ?Wooburn? - bit of a chore for tired legs, but I think A4-blasters miss that one?

Very cold, wet and wild day though - this morning from Membury to CSP has some very heavy rain indeed and it was cold cold cold.

Time for a nap now.

Look forward to seeing everyone next week and plying you with tea and post-ride snacks.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #33 on: 03 May, 2015, 09:14:41 am »
thanks marcusjb, the forecast for next weekend looks better so far - let's hope it stays that way

« Reply #34 on: 03 May, 2015, 09:41:23 am »
I'm still trying to decide whether or not to do the The Yat or the A466 through Tintern.

Last time the Yat climb gouged my legs a bit. But the alternative looks to be 5km longer and differs the climbing to the end. It's the same as the end of the BCM no?

« Reply #35 on: 03 May, 2015, 09:04:16 pm »
I'm still trying to decide whether or not to do the The Yat or the A466 through Tintern.

Last time the Yat climb gouged my legs a bit. But the alternative looks to be 5km longer and differs the climbing to the end. It's the same as the end of the BCM no?

You could try the A456 but it's a very long way round as there is a control at Walford.

TBH I rode the alternative non-Yat route with my bro a couple of months back and we both decided that the rock is probably a better bet.  You get the climbing over pretty quickly (and there's no shame in walking it) whereas the extra Kms of grinding climb all takes a lot of the fun out of the run into Chepstow.

Just saying

« Reply #36 on: 03 May, 2015, 09:10:28 pm »
Never mind the sleeping options, I am checking out the rail services for possible bale out options.

There is loads of time to get around and the company is normally good.  Don't rush or set yourself a target and you'll be fine...there are few easier ways to do a 400 and you get to tell everyone that you cycled to Wales and back in a day! 

I have also ordered extra nice weather for the first timers (a supplement is payable for any old lags who want to benefit from the sunshine and tailwinds that I have organised..)

Liam

« Reply #37 on: 04 May, 2015, 09:34:36 am »
There are two steep (but not long) climbs: at Symonds Yat and the Somerset Memorial, the second also being on the Dean. Both can be avoided and substituted by something gentler if desired.
Avoid the climbs? I'm still too heavy to enjoy them, but that's all part of the challenge!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #38 on: 04 May, 2015, 09:53:00 am »
I have also ordered extra nice weather for the first timers (a supplement is payable for any old lags who want to benefit from the sunshine and tailwinds that I have organised..)

Liam

Unbelievably, it currently looks as though we will have a nice tailwind all the way round, in both directions....  :D

http://www.weatherbagel.com/f/e48829df-ee6b-4ba8-bccc-2adcef70544d

Lets hope the forecast stays this way!

« Reply #39 on: 04 May, 2015, 11:57:42 am »

Liam

Unbelievably, it currently looks as though we will have a nice tailwind all the way round, in both directions....  :D

I'm not sure if you get that as I don't seem to have you down as paying the supplement...

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #40 on: 04 May, 2015, 12:08:24 pm »
I'm looking forward to this ride... well as much as you can look forward to a 400km! I don't relish this distance but know if I can DF (is this a term?) then I will be very chuffed.
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

« Reply #41 on: 04 May, 2015, 06:53:05 pm »
*further hysterical post*

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #42 on: 04 May, 2015, 09:00:37 pm »

Liam

The last time that I saw a forecast like this and believed it was on the Bryan Chapman in 2007.  Yep, you've guessed it, we had north-westerlies on the Sautrday and south-easterlies on the Sunday.  So since then I have given up looking at weather forecasts five days out.  (Although it was excellent preparation for that year's PBP)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #43 on: 04 May, 2015, 10:48:29 pm »
Is the A4 "dash" after Membury services relatively ok by bike (as far as cycling on A roads goes)? Much as I'd like to do the small lane route back my in the dark navigation using a route sheet is not the best (unless I find someone to follow at a not-being-rude distance...).

« Reply #44 on: 04 May, 2015, 11:56:31 pm »
*further hysterical post*

I went to my strava record of my previous (failed) attempt on this route, looking to find some comforting facts, but what did I see: not only did I walk up Symonds Yat - I remember doing that - but my speed dropped to 2.6 kph!

I must not panic; I must not panic; I will not panic .....

Martin

« Reply #45 on: 05 May, 2015, 12:09:27 am »
Is the A4 "dash" after Membury services relatively ok by bike (as far as cycling on A roads goes)?

depends on whether you call sharing a road with 120mph car drivers relatively OK;

seriously I've done it once out of 5 times & I'd personally avoid it; sticking to the route is much better

JJ

« Reply #46 on: 05 May, 2015, 12:19:40 am »
Is the A4 "dash" after Membury services relatively ok by bike (as far as cycling on A roads goes)?

depends on whether you call sharing a road with 120mph car drivers relatively OK;

seriously I've done it once out of 5 times & I'd personally avoid it; sticking to the route is much better

Whereas my experience is the opposite.  The roads are wide and the really fast cars few.  The bright lights of the towns help a lot if you're sleepy, and personally the last thing I want to do in the final 100 is grovel around lanes in the dark.  Horses for courses!

« Reply #47 on: 05 May, 2015, 05:28:07 am »
It's a pleasant enough ride on wide and mostly lit roads. There is traffic but it's not too heavy

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #48 on: 05 May, 2015, 06:56:39 am »

Whereas my experience is the opposite.  The roads are wide and the really fast cars few.  The bright lights of the towns help a lot if you're sleepy, and personally the last thing I want to do in the final 100 is grovel around lanes in the dark.  Horses for courses!
I think Martin & JJ have _both_ described it well.

Hs for Cs indeed -  some people love a fast road, some hate riding with fast cars around. Its quite nice to have the choice between 2 reasonable options on this route :)

I know the A4 very well, but was too naive to consider it on my only 7Across. Fortunately I got a solid kip at Membury, so was pretty awake for the lanes, and the sun came up before I was through them; so quite a good experience. I know this is the minority approach to a 400, so wont suit many.

(Doing it again I'd  probably divert Wantage-Wallingford-Henley. Quick roads, still easy nav, but much prettier & quieter than the A4. Admittedly this is influenced just a tiny bit by having my own kettle/toaster/sofa on that section! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #49 on: 05 May, 2015, 08:41:22 am »
I like the lanes, I have never done the A4 alternative on this ride (but know the roads reasonably well).

I have only done this ride as a routecheck, so I have been beholden to ride the route as written - but unless I was against the time limit, I would probably always stick with the lanes. They are nice, pretty easy to navigate even in the dark and give you more time on your bike.

I did the yat Rock avoidance manoeuvre this year (on fixed) and I tend to do the last few km on the main road route (avoiding welder's lane and gives me an opportunity to ride past the business I own and snoop on the window display!).

The surfaces on the laney bit were generally pretty good.

I am sure there's nothing wrong with the A4, but unless you are in a rush to get home, it seems a shame to short change yourself of more saddle time.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!