Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575794 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8200 on: 30 September, 2016, 09:40:05 am »
I had a filling last month and lovely dentist warned me it might need root canal work.  It does.

« Reply #8201 on: 01 October, 2016, 10:47:38 pm »
I've had a sinus infection for the last three weeks. I thought I was fighting it off for a while, but then it got worse, so I went to the GP. A week of antibiotics seemed to work - until 24 hours after the last pill, when it was obvious that they'd failed. So since yesterday afternoon I've been on a week of a different antibiotic.

I should have started a Japanese course on Monday evening. But it's been cancelled. Not enough students, I think. I can repeat the one I did last year at the local FE college, or do another one at the same level run at Reading university by the University of Oxford's Continuing Education department - but what good what that do? I want to move on to the next level.

And today it's taken four attempts to get an inner tube which continues to hold air onto Mrs B's road bike's front wheel. Dodgy valve, failing old patch, exploding tube . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8202 on: 01 October, 2016, 11:02:46 pm »
I seem to have an Unhappy Tooth.
I have Jewish dentist.
It is New Year Monday & Tuesday.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8203 on: 03 October, 2016, 05:40:59 pm »
Lenor Unstoppables: why???

(Sainsbury's have sent me a free sample. Being TV-free, I was unaware of this product. I see no reason to perfume my clothes with artificial stinx. I really wish modern laundry products and cycles removed teh mankiness from our garments but piling in more 'scent' is NOT the answer!)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8204 on: 03 October, 2016, 06:15:50 pm »
My Unhappy Tooth has settled somewhat; I can now chew gently on the left: something I could not do over the weekend.

Another part of my anatomy is unhappy; I think it is merely bruised as I know it got squished a bit. I will wait a few days before I get it checked out for Anything Serious.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #8205 on: 04 October, 2016, 12:30:38 pm »
Bicycle components made of cheese. Like the chain that suddenly goes CRACK! when you try to accelerate away from the crossroads onto The Greenway at 16:30 on a bright sunny Monday afternoon.

Bah
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8206 on: 05 October, 2016, 11:44:55 am »
My appointment at the dentist was 1040. I'm still in the waiting room
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8207 on: 07 October, 2016, 10:22:50 am »
A month ago I sent the Chamber of Commerce a declaration covering the missus's resignation as co-CEO of our company.  Last week the fee had not yet been debited from our account so I just phoned them. "Yes, we've got it. You'll have to wait another 3 weeks: just now the 18th August is at the top of the pile."

France does go on holiday for August, after all.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #8208 on: 07 October, 2016, 12:06:37 pm »
My appointment at the dentist was 1040. I'm still in the waiting room
Look on the bright side. Some poor bugger has spent an hour longer sitting in The Chair than they expected.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

essexian

« Reply #8209 on: 07 October, 2016, 12:18:48 pm »
Power tools......

Why is it that everyone of my neighbours has a fetish about using power tools almost 24/7? A couple of days ago one neighbour used a petrol chainsaw to cut some trees down. This chainsaw was a moldy old pile of crap which wasn't up to the job and made a hell of a noise.

Then, the bloke two doors down has a wood burner and thus spends a couple of hours each week cutting up logs using what sounds like an angle grinder. Oh.... and why mow your garden at 7.30am on a Sunday morning???

And now a bloke at the end of the street is cutting some floor tiles. I know he is doing so as not only can I hear him, but as he is standing at the end of his drive when doing so, I can see him.

And finally, if Bill doesn't clean the mess he made when power washing his drive off Sue (aged 85) drive, I am going to....EDIT.... this is turning into a bit of a rant!

Power tools...bah!  :hand:

ian

« Reply #8210 on: 07 October, 2016, 12:59:07 pm »
It's pretty much standard practice in summer that five minutes after I lug my laptop out onto the balcony to work al fresco someone nearby will start grinding, chopping, sawing, leaf blowing, drilling, or mowing. If no one with a power tool is around, someone will be sure to start a smoky, stinky bonfire. It's the British way.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8211 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:00:21 pm »
Or they'll park up on the double yellows outside and have a fag while listening to kickin' bass with the window down.

Or, if there's nobody around to make noise, their unattended alarms will fill the gap.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8212 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:25:26 pm »
If an alarm goes off in the middle of the night and there's no-one there to hear it, does it still make a godawful shrieking for five hours?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8213 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:32:16 pm »
Oh for a monodirectional narrow-beam EMP device.

fuzzy

« Reply #8214 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:51:54 pm »

A Purdey works.

essexian

« Reply #8215 on: 07 October, 2016, 02:08:10 pm »

Oh, couldn't we just take off and nuke them from orbit. Its the only way to be sure you know.

And just to get our own back, CBH is mowing the front lawn. It normally takes me 17 minutes to do...yes, I have Strava'ed it.... she says she might take an hour or two doing: "a proper job."

;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8216 on: 07 October, 2016, 02:16:32 pm »

A Purdey works.

Purdeys have consequence, but also consequences. A MNBEMPD would be silent and undetectable other than in the sudden burn-out of the target device. A damn fine set of initials, too.

I dare say Kim could run one up in her lunch-hour...

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #8217 on: 07 October, 2016, 02:48:40 pm »
I read one post elsewhere on the interwebs today about Frasier and now I really, really want an Eames lounge chair and ottoman.

In the "grumble" thread because there's no way I can afford the £600-800 for a half-decent reproduction, let alone the £5k for an authentic one...  :'(

« Reply #8218 on: 08 October, 2016, 05:55:11 pm »
Franz Kafka is alive & well & writing operating procedures for Skype.

Support Request Number:12345

Your details
Country or regionUnited Kingdom
Preferred languageEnglish
On which device are you running this application?Skype for Windows
Your first nameA
Your last nameB
Your email addressAB@Email.com
Your Skype name(s)AB

26-01.2014
info: at 16:35:13
You are now chatting with 'D A'.
D A: at 16:35:32
Hello! My name is D. Welcome to Skype Live Support! How can I help you today?
You: at 16:38:45
I have a problem. I bought some credit last week, to make phone calls to X. the first time I used it, my call was cut off after 3 minutes. When I tried to call again, I got a message saying my account was blocked. I reported it, & got a reply saying my account couldn't be unblocked. Since then, I've managed to get it unblocked, but I've been told that if I call the same number, it will automatically be blocked again
You: at 16:40:12
The reason I bought the credit was mostly to call that number.
You: at 16:40:55
It's an ordinary private phone line, belonging to one of my family.
You: at 16:41:13
D - are still there?
D A: at 16:41:14
I am sorry you are having issues regarding your account. You have come to the right place, let us see what our options are to resolve this issue.
D A: at 16:41:21
Before we proceed to your concern, may I know your first name so I can address you properly?
You: at 16:41:32
AB
D A: at 16:42:09
Thank you, AB.
You: at 16:42:35
For me, the options are simple. Either fix the problem (i.e. permanently unblock the number) or give me my money back. At the moment, I'm not getting the service I paid for.
D A: at 16:42:36
May I also have the Skype name of the account that you are referring to, please?
You: at 16:42:48
AB   
D A: at 16:43:07
Thank you.
You: at 16:44:21
I was told it was blocked because of unusual activity, i.e. lots of calls. I called it a lot, but only because I couldn't get through, & I couldn't get through because it was blocked.
D A: at 16:44:45
As I can see here on my end, your account "AB" is good and working fine.
You: at 16:45:36
It's working fine as long as I don't call my family in X. When I do, the call is cut off & my account is suspended.
D A: at 16:46:04
I see.
D A: at 16:46:36
The reason why you cannot call the number in X is because the number that you are calling to is forbidden.
You: at 16:47:22
That's what I want fixed. There's no reason to forbid it. It's an ordinary number, belonging to one of my relatives.
D A: at 16:48:04
I understand how you feel right now, and would like to help you in the best way I can.
You: at 16:48:30
Fine. Then can you unblock that number?
You: at 16:49:03
The owner of that phone line hasn't received any strange calls, & certainly hasn't made any.
D A: at 16:49:31
I really apologize but I cannot do that since I do not have the option to do so. I hope you would understand.
You: at 16:49:53
Then who can unblock it?
D A: at 16:50:30
All of us here on Skype do not have the option to unblock the number since we do not have the option to do so.
D A: at 16:50:58
You can still call that number. However, you can call it without using Skype.
You: at 16:51:12
If nobody can unblock it, I want my money back. If I don't get it back, I will go to my credit card company, & tell them that Skype is refusing to provide the service that I have paid for, & get them to refund the money & claim it frm you
D A: at 16:51:27
I really apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you, AB.
You: at 16:51:39
I have paid to call that number via Skype. If you won't let me call it, give me my money back
D A: at 16:52:04
I know how important it is to contact your family. However, since the number was already blocked, we cannot do anything about it.
You: at 16:52:09
Skype has blocked the number, so Skype must be able to unblock it.
You: at 16:52:31
The number is not blocked by anyone else.
You: at 16:53:25
Why has Skype blocked it?
You: at 16:55:08
Still, there, D?
D A: at 16:55:28
I really apologize for the inconvenience, AB. I have already talked to my Supervisor and explain your concern.
D A: at 16:55:44
What I am going to do is to refund the credit that you have purchased.
D A: at 16:56:54
Since you are our valued customer, we can process a refund for this. However, I just want to inform you that this is only a one time courtesy.
D A: at 16:57:13
With regard to the number, I really apologize but we cannot do anything about it.
You: at 16:57:42
Thank you.
D A: at 16:57:58
It is my pleasure.
D A: at 16:58:13
Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience, AB.
D A: at 16:59:44
Please be advised that it will take 5-7 business days to reflect on your bank.
You: at 16:59:56
i am still vey unhappy about the service. Any service that can't unblock a number has serious technical faults.
D A: at 17:00:13
You will also receive a confirmation email about this process.
D A: at 17:00:45
I do understand how you feel, AB. However, this is the only thing that I can do for you.
D A: at 17:00:53
I hope you would understand.
You: at 17:01:52
The responses I've had have been unsatisfactory. the first response was to dismiss the problem without making any attempt to solve it. The second response was to tell me not to use the service, I have spent a lot of time trying to resolve this. If it was not possible, I should have been offered a refund immediately.
D A: at 17:02:19
I already processed your refund request, AB.
You: at 17:02:43
Thank you. When should I get the e-mail?
D A: at 17:02:59
Do not worry because all of your feedback will be forwarded to our Management so that they can take necessary action about this issue.
D A: at 17:03:25
You will receive the email within this day since I have already processed the refund, AB.
D A: at 17:03:42
Do you have any other concern aside from this?
D A: at 17:06:32
I have not heard from you for the last two minutes. Do you still wish to continue chatting?
You: at 17:06:52
Only that the system should be fixed. I am unhappy that I have had to go through this process, & now have to find another way of calling
D A: at 17:07:41
I do understand that, AB. And we really apologize for all the inconvenience.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #8219 on: 08 October, 2016, 06:01:43 pm »
Is that a chat bot? All of us AIs at Skype don't have the ability to do that, Dave.

« Reply #8220 on: 08 October, 2016, 06:28:28 pm »
I read one post elsewhere on the interwebs today about Frasier and now I really, really want an Eames lounge chair and ottoman.

In the "grumble" thread because there's no way I can afford the £600-800 for a half-decent reproduction, let alone the £5k for an authentic one...  :'(

If it's any comfort, if you're over 6', they're unlikely to be that comfortable; the originals are sized for 1950s proportions, and though Vitra (the official European licencee) offer a larger size, it's still only for people up to 6' or so. At least that's how I comfort myself when I contemplate the prices...

« Reply #8221 on: 09 October, 2016, 12:36:03 am »
Is that a chat bot? All of us AIs at Skype don't have the ability to do that, Dave.
Yeah, the language was a bit weird.

I think "the number was already blocked" was particularly annoying to the owner of the Skype account (not me), since it wasn't blocked to start with - only after 3 minutes. And "We're going to give back what you've paid for the service we're refusing to supply, but only as a special favour".  :facepalm:

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #8222 on: 10 October, 2016, 01:30:24 pm »
 ::-) ::-) >:( :P ::-) ::-) ::-) ::-) :hand: >:( >:( >:( :facepalm: ::-) ::-)

DO NOT OVERFILL SHREDDER BIN
If the bin is getting full
 CHANGE THE BAG
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8223 on: 10 October, 2016, 05:14:36 pm »
Who's your The Boss, Guy?  Oliver North?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #8224 on: 10 October, 2016, 05:19:58 pm »

I think I saw one down the dump the other day.