Author Topic: How to get a route into a Garmin eTrex.  (Read 3384 times)

How to get a route into a Garmin eTrex.
« on: 24 April, 2009, 12:59:33 pm »
So I've got the Garmin and I've got Memory Map and I've managed to get some tracks onto the Garmin's memory card. I'll be trying it tonight (I'll take the map too).

But how do I get a pre-prepared route into it ?
I'm talking about the route for an Audax (May the Forth be with you, my 1st) which is rather helpfully given by the organiser.
It starts like this and then goes on:-

"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <gpx version="1.1" creator="GMapToGPX 6.4a - http://www.elsewhere.org/GMapToGPX/" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="GPX 1.1 Schema Documentation http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd">
- <rte>
  <name>route0</name>
  <cmt>A5102 to B5026/Stone Rd</cmt>
  <"
etc........

I've had a look at GPS-Babel  and some of the other links given on here and elsewhere but I can't find anything that I can understand so any advice will be welcome.

I still have the boxes  ::-)

Re: How to get a route into a Garmin eTrex.
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2009, 01:03:51 pm »
Memory map should just open the .gpx file. Then once the track is displayed, you can right click on it and transfer it to the device.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2009, 01:14:05 pm »
OK, you're a couple of steps ahead of me (my eTrex is somewhere in the US Postal system) but I asked a similar question on another thread.

I was told that it 's as simple as

1. Open .gpx in GPSBabel

2. Convert to format

3. Upload to device

But then I haven't even touched my GPS yet  ::-)

Playing with GPSBabel it also appears to have the option to send directly to the machine.

Garmin also have some software on their website, Basecamp,  that I've downloaded but not yet used.

It looks like I'll be spending more time "playing with that bloody computer" than riding  :-\

« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2009, 01:45:35 pm »
Still no further on  :-[

I've downloaded GPSBabel and here's what I've done:-
Opened GPSBabel GUI2, clicked on the "Input Format" and selected Google Maps XML, clicked on "Output Format" and and selected Garmin Logbook XML. That's as far as I've got.
I naively hoped that I could then copy and paste the route in and "Bingo".

Sorry if this appears very basic.

Sergeant- I don't know how to get Memory Map to even open the GPX file  :-[ :-[

« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2009, 03:40:21 pm »
It gets worse.......
What form do I save the file (from the interweb here:- http://www.highergrangefarm.fsnet.co.uk/PeakAudax/routes/eccl1E.gpx) in ?
Where do I save it to ?

Any other suggestions so that I can avoid coming back with more stupid questions ?

BTW- Many thanks for the advice so far. It is appreciated  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2009, 04:06:41 pm »
Create a new text document, copy and paste all that text into it, and then save it as a .gpx.  You can have the file saved anywhere you like and then when you go "import" just browse to that location.

One thing with MM is that it will keep a lot of old tracks etc open so be careful to delete the ones you do not want to transfer to the GPS (if using the transfer mode) otherwise it will send the lot.  I tend to just right click on the track I am interested in sending.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2009, 04:35:57 pm »
You're struggling with a browser 'feature'.  Right-click on that link and choose 'Save as' to download it as a GPX file.

Memory Map can import this, but it defaults to .mmo files so you have to switch the file type to .gpx

My top MM tip - open the program and before doing anything else, go to Overlays, Delete All.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #7 on: 24 April, 2009, 06:13:07 pm »
And another tip  - MM doesn't always use the terminology you may be used to.  So instead of File/Open its Overlay/Import.  You then get the standard file opening box, and you can browse for any type of file anywhere on your PC/network just as you would with Word or Excel.  As FF says, MM defaults to file type .mmo, but that's easily changed (but not permanently, I think).

I just clicked on the link you gave, which opened the file in a page.  I then just "save page as..", specify a directory when prompted, and it saved it as a .gpx file.  Importing that into MM gave be a route with (IIRC) 106 waypoints on it.  Quick and easy.  No need for GPSBabel etc.  And from MM you can dump it straight into your Garmin.

I'm using MM2004 - later versions may differ.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #8 on: 24 April, 2009, 06:23:48 pm »
You can also use easygps which is free and quite good to organise gpx. you can have several open at the same time and do some copy & paste. it does not do mapping though.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2009, 06:41:18 pm »
My top MM tip - open the program and before doing anything else, go to Overlays, Delete All

A good habit to get into. You can find yourself with forgotten hidden tracks too if you are using MM for a prolonged session - it's worth doing a delete all once in a while and starting from your (previously saved) .gpx afresh.

And I second the comment above: with MM and your eTrex there is no need at this stage to get into the various other file manipulation software available.

« Reply #10 on: 24 April, 2009, 10:54:54 pm »
Marvellous.
It's worked.
Thanks for all your help. Where did you learn this stuff ?

BTW- tonight's ride using a route from MM exported to the Garmin went well. It (the Garmin) worked as I'd hoped that it would.

I'll keep the boxes for a little longer though, just in case.

:thumbsup: