Author Topic: Death of an Edge 305?  (Read 1949 times)

Andrew

Death of an Edge 305?
« on: 18 July, 2015, 09:04:13 am »
Garmin informs me that it can't be repaired. At least, that's what I think they said....

As a company, we are continually innovating and striving to design the next product. This is so that we can continue to offer cutting edge technology. With the advances in technology, none of our products can be made future proof and eventually will become an unsupported/discontinued product at some point and this is what has happened on this occasion.

The device you require is no longer in our stocks and due to it now being discontinued we do not plan to manufacture any further devices of this kind.

A simple yes or no would have sufficed!

The problem? The rubber cover of the 'Enter' button has worn through. This cover is the waterproof band that encases the unit, a seal. So not only does the button no longer function but the unit is no longer waterproof. My simple question was 'can it be replaced?' I guess the answer is no. Not that the customer service op did anything other than click standard reply numero x.

Since the button/band wore through last week, the screen had noticeably dimmed.

So, questions...

1. Can I get the bits myself to repair it?
2. Has air/moisture ingress caused the screen to dim? Making question 1 moot.
3. Will an Edge 500 (the unit I've long earmarked as a possible replacement) work with my current cadence sensors and hrm belt (all std Garmin issue bits, GSC10s and old style belt)

My Edge 305 has seen good service and been a trustworthy companion. We've done a lot together. Believe it or not, the thought of replacing it makes me a little sad.

Re: Death of an Edge 305?
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2015, 09:17:19 am »
I've had a similar problem with a 205 when one of the buttons stopped working and I got a similar reply from Garmin.

If the sensors are ANT+ then they should work with the 500.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2015, 10:57:35 am »
You might find someone on the Bay who had bits of old 305s lying around. Sadly, I threw mine out just a few weeks ago. Your sensors will work just fine with a 500, but do check out the new 25 and 520.

« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2015, 11:28:41 am »
So, can you patiently use a silicone or similar type sealant such as McNett Seam Grip or Sil Net, or even a Sugru bodge?

Manufacturers seem increasingly unhelpful.   Hilleberg tell me that the two small holes in my tent cannot be patched using adhesive on the silicone coated fabric* but they can sew in and seal a patch at a hefty cost.

Neither hole is more than 2mm across.   I am inclined to try McNett Sil Net first.

* Is that why it dulls after a few weeks of exposure to daylight i wonder...

Andrew

« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2015, 12:13:15 pm »
I considered a sugru bodge. I'd need to find something to make the button function and then sugru over it. It's certainly worth a go.

I'd probably be left with a dim screen though. And the other buttons won't be far behind I guess. Might be time to give it a decent funeral and look for a replacement.

« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2015, 07:54:01 pm »
Andrew, I've got an old and long unused 305 with perfectly OK button covers.

I tried dismantling it and the two outer halves are stuck together, rather than clipped or screwed.  While levering the two halves apart I took off one of the press switches from the circuit board.

Rather than fix it I got myself a 705.

Your welcome to the defunct 305, PM me with an address if you want it.  No need for postage, I've had enough good deeds from other forumites.

Andrew

« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2015, 08:16:42 pm »
That's very kind of you. Thank you. Let me think about it.

It doesn't sound as though a repair would be easy, if the unit had to be levered apart. I know people have replaced the battery so maybe it is do-able to open it up and put it back together again. I'll search YouTube, maybe there's something there.

Go to say though, I'm minded to get a Edge 500 to replace it.

Andrew

« Reply #7 on: 19 July, 2015, 06:29:47 am »
Looks like a 305 had to prised apart and then glued back together. This comment I read is ambiguous

the switch cover is permanently attached to the grey front cover.
Any attempt to seperate the two parts will damage it beyond repair.

"It" being, I'm guessing, the switch cover though it could mean the grey front cover.

Something about this is shouting 'that way be dragons' to me. I'm going to start looking for deals on a 500. The 500 being the one that ticks all boxes for me even though it is itself now discontinued.

TimC

« Reply #8 on: 19 July, 2015, 03:20:09 pm »
Taking the 305 apart isn't difficult; I did it to replace the battery and repair one of the microswitches on mine and it lasted another couple of years before it finally died. Removing the rubber switch cover and using it on another 305 would be difficult to do without damage, but why do it? Just take the top half of the outer case (including the switch cover) from the dead 305 and put it on the working one.

Ben T

« Reply #9 on: 19 July, 2015, 03:36:32 pm »
Garmin informs me that it can't be repaired. At least, that's what I think they said....

As a company, we are continually innovating and striving to design the next product. This is so that we can continue to offer cutting edge technology. With the advances in technology, none of our products can be made future proof and eventually will become an unsupported/discontinued product at some point and this is what has happened on this occasion.

The device you require is no longer in our stocks and due to it now being discontinued we do not plan to manufacture any further devices of this kind.

A simple yes or no would have sufficed!

The problem? The rubber cover of the 'Enter' button has worn through. This cover is the waterproof band that encases the unit, a seal. So not only does the button no longer function but the unit is no longer waterproof. My simple question was 'can it be replaced?' I guess the answer is no. Not that the customer service op did anything other than click standard reply numero x.

Since the button/band wore through last week, the screen had noticeably dimmed.

So, questions...

1. Can I get the bits myself to repair it?
2. Has air/moisture ingress caused the screen to dim? Making question 1 moot.
3. Will an Edge 500 (the unit I've long earmarked as a possible replacement) work with my current cadence sensors and hrm belt (all std Garmin issue bits, GSC10s and old style belt)

My Edge 305 has seen good service and been a trustworthy companion. We've done a lot together. Believe it or not, the thought of replacing it makes me a little sad.

they're basically saying that the fact they can't repair it is due to the fact that they are so innovative and are  instead spending their effort on constantly striving to develop new products and as such you should probably be grateful to them.  ::-) or something  :)

Andrew

« Reply #10 on: 19 July, 2015, 03:37:37 pm »
Just take the top half of the outer case (including the switch cover) from the dead 305 and put it on the working one.

If that's do-able (and I don't know, having never taken it apart) then it sounds like a plan. :thumbsup:

PM sent to Plug1n!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 19 July, 2015, 11:53:26 pm »
they're basically saying that the fact they can't repair it is due to the fact that they are so innovative and are  instead spending their effort on constantly striving to develop new products and as such you should probably be grateful to them.  ::-) or something  :)

They probably asked an engineer, who told them a list of reasons why it was pointless to set up a whole new production run for an obsolete model.  They summarised beyond all recognition and sent the draft to the marketing department, who edited it for buzzword-compliance.  Or something.

Andrew

« Reply #12 on: 20 July, 2015, 08:53:52 am »
I didn't anticpate them starting the production line for a years since discontinued model. I knew that before I asked. What I was (albeit optimistically) hoping for was that there might be a methaphorical (or even literal) 'box of bits' sitting around on some dusty shelf somewhere and they'd say 'yes, that particular repair we can do'. You don't get if you don't ask.

What may well have happened was that some kind of filter detected 'Edge 305' and automatically responded with (or suggested the response of) standard response number 6973. My question didn't get further than their mail server.

TimC

« Reply #13 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:56:32 am »
Just another tip: when I took mine apart, I found an illustrated post on some electronics blog or other that showed the method and traps for taking the 305 apart. It didn't take much Googling, and was very helpful.

Andrew

« Reply #14 on: 20 July, 2015, 11:10:14 am »
Thanks Tim. I may have read that, or at least one similar. I found two posts in total. I think I got to one via the MotionBased forum. That's were I read the comment I posted earlier.

Plug1n is kindly sending me his old 305 (postage free too, what a guy, I'm humbled  :thumbsup:) so I shall be able to practice taking it apart, see what it looks like etc, before stating in anger on my own. I shall post of the outcome (hopefully successful) in due course.

Andrew

« Reply #15 on: 26 July, 2015, 05:25:08 pm »
YeeeeeeeeeeHA!!!!   A fully working Edge 305!

Many many many thanks to Plug1n for his old 305.

Thanks to TimC for the tips.

The repair turned out to be a doddle. Exercise patience in getting my unit apart then simply fit and glue the new cover on. To say I'm chuffed is this year's understatement!

I am one happy cyclist  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D  ;D  ;D

TimC

« Reply #16 on: 26 July, 2015, 05:42:17 pm »
Excellent! Glad it worked out. ;D

« Reply #17 on: 26 July, 2015, 10:03:05 pm »
I love a happy ending.....