Author Topic: Replacement for Vista HCx  (Read 1158 times)

Replacement for Vista HCx
« on: 20 April, 2016, 05:40:45 pm »
So my Vista HCx died over the weekend. OK on Saturday, refused to admit that such things as satellites existed when turned on on Sunday morning. I'd guess it's more serious than just the aerial connection, as it didn't even show satellite positions from the previous day's almanac.

The Etrex 30x or GPSmap 64 are the obvious options, but is there anything else I should look at?

Re: Replacement for Vista HCx
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2016, 11:53:51 am »
If I end up replacing my HCx, it would probably be the 30x. Arguably the logical current replacement, with improved screen (over Etrex30), and lighter/more battery life than the '64'.

Have you tried a master reset of your HCx?  Hasn't worked for my issue, but maybe worth a shot.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2016, 01:04:14 pm »
I did try a master reset in the pub, based on a phone google, but I got a page full of firmware versions and stuff rather than the "do you really want to do this" message, so I expect I did something wrong. I'll try again.

I probably want a new GPS anyway - the release catch on the handlebar mount has been broken off for the last couple of years (at least), and the lanyard attachment point broke right at the beginning, so it's rather battered, having bounced off down the road at speed on several occasions.

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2016, 11:06:44 pm »
I've got a few spare HCx backs if you want one, because I've bought several (well, about half a dozen actually) handlebar mounts.

« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2016, 01:14:57 am »
It's the later model with a (broken) screw-on fitting that clips into the handlebar mount, rather than the earlier model where the fitting was part of a replacement back.
A year ago may have been handy, but as the thing seems to be terminally dead it's all a bit academic now (further attempts at master reset, or even super master reset, haven't helped).

Having googled, the clips seem to be easily available now. When it first broke, it was all the replacement battery compartment lids, with the clips only seeming to be available with a new GPS.

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2016, 08:01:32 am »
You're right. So's mine. I'd forgotten ::-)

But I've still got loads of replacement backs, because they and not the clips come with the handlebar brackets ;D