Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1604694 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11075 on: 23 May, 2019, 05:41:54 pm »
I admit 9, a bit of an Apple fanboy, and on the whole I think the walled garden is a GOOD THING ™, but Apple’s policy of not allowing content purchase on Amazon apps (Kindle, Audible, Prime Video) is not only very annoying, its also pointless because it doesn’t actually stop me buying Amazon content on my Apple device.

Apple do allow it, but all in-app purchases go through the App Store, and in the process they cream off their own percentage, so Amazon would have to charge more or get less on the margin.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11076 on: 24 May, 2019, 10:52:49 am »
I admit 9, a bit of an Apple fanboy, and on the whole I think the walled garden is a GOOD THING ™, but Apple’s policy of not allowing content purchase on Amazon apps (Kindle, Audible, Prime Video) is not only very annoying, its also pointless because it doesn’t actually stop me buying Amazon content on my Apple device.

Apple do allow it, but all in-app purchases go through the App Store, and in the process they cream off their own percentage, so Amazon would have to charge more or get less on the margin.

I think I knew that once now you mention it, but I must have recycled the neurones at some point.
Well, a plague on both their houses then.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11077 on: 25 May, 2019, 10:03:06 am »
The morons at the main dealer have overfilled the oil as usual.  It'll have to go back because there is no way I can remove 1/2 litre at home without draining the lot.  They always do this unless I expressly tell them not to and it gets written on the service sheet.  Also impossible to check until I get home, as the engine needs to be cold (there is a big difference in level between hot and cold oil levels on this particular engine).

As well as fouling the crankcase breather with oil carryover, it stops it revving freely due to windage.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11078 on: 25 May, 2019, 01:46:01 pm »
Exam students in the exams wot I just invigiwotsited: please to be looking up 'bladder control' in your dictionaries. Or have a piss beforehand. Kthxbai.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #11079 on: 25 May, 2019, 04:09:27 pm »
Exam students in the exams wot I just invigiwotsited: please to be looking up 'bladder control' in your dictionaries. Or have a piss beforehand. Kthxbai.

Adrenaline, innit. Though my lot were pretty well behaved this year - no incidents of academic misconduct, and fewer loo trips than I expected.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11080 on: 25 May, 2019, 04:52:30 pm »

Kim's top tip for exam success:  Don't have a kidney infection.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11081 on: 25 May, 2019, 05:32:02 pm »
Having ascertained that I did, in fact, buy spare door handle springs when I purchased them last year, all I need to do now is find out where I put them.
Somewhere very safe, no doubt.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11082 on: 25 May, 2019, 06:41:40 pm »
Having ascertained that I did, in fact, buy spare door handle springs when I purchased them last year, all I need to do now is find out where I put them.
I bet you don’t find them until you’ve managed to at least order the replacements.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #11083 on: 25 May, 2019, 06:41:57 pm »
They will be where I put the grease nipple off the swinging arm spindle on my 1972 Triumph Daytona.  I can't find that either.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11084 on: 25 May, 2019, 08:40:34 pm »
Check your panniers, that's where I found my lost shopping list notebook this morning
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #11085 on: 26 May, 2019, 07:58:40 am »
And while I'm at it; Exam room layout organisers: Having two finishing times in the same room is probably unavoidable. What is avoidable is placing the 3-hour folk next to the exits and having the large number of 2-hour candidates noisily traipse past them having their post-mortems, despite being told to leave in silence.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

rr

« Reply #11086 on: 26 May, 2019, 08:12:12 am »

Kim's top tip for exam success:  Don't have a kidney infection.
Or as Mini found out on Monday: diarrhoea

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11087 on: 27 May, 2019, 01:03:41 pm »
Either my neighbour is learning the drums or AC/DC's Phil Rudd has moved in next door :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuzzy

« Reply #11088 on: 27 May, 2019, 03:29:38 pm »
Sounds like my near neighbour prick.

Not content with taking up one of the few parking spaces with his never used VW camper thing, or using another one of the rare spaces for his Scirroco cos his private parking spaces are full of his never used glider, he now sits in his conservastory, doors and roof panels open, trying to learn funk electric guitar.

Fuck off!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11089 on: 28 May, 2019, 10:49:21 am »
The last few years have seen two of our neighbours put up polytunnels, a couple of them the size of decent Nissen huts, on their land. The last few years have seen same polytunnels torn to bits and cast far & wide by gales. We also had an alu/plastic greenhouse bowled over and wrecked by same.  Now MrsT comes home from Aldi and says "they've got 3m x 2m polytunnels for 49€...". :facepalm:

Feeling like a shit sometimes goes with the job. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #11090 on: 28 May, 2019, 11:02:43 am »
...trying to learn funk electric guitar...

Ah, the sound of the suburbs (almost)  :)

Martin

« Reply #11091 on: 29 May, 2019, 10:53:25 pm »
if you thought Ryanair was shit; try Brittany Ferries

I booked a little adventure with my son for next week he's always wanted to go on a cruise but I'd rather vote for Farage than do that :o, so the compromise was cruise on Brittany Ferries to Santander bimble along Northern Spain for a week then fly home.

I was really looking forward to it and got in the mood by tracking the ship. good thing too as I found out today that it's borked in Brest and has been for 12 days. Nice of them to tell us!

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/pont-aven-latest-news

Finally spoke to someone today and we can't take the ferry  :( they are offering alternatives to France for the motorised but sod all for foot passengers  :( :(

so got a full refund. To add insult to injury guess who we have to fly with instead?  :facepalm:

but we'll have a great trip when we get there  :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11092 on: 29 May, 2019, 11:00:19 pm »
Going by Facebook 'on this day' we had almost the same experience 2 years ago this week with P&O. I found out by mistake that our ferry was bokred and had been so for 2 weeks and was expected to be so for a further 3.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11093 on: 30 May, 2019, 08:24:54 am »
And should you only find out on arriving at the ferry port they'll look at you with an oh-you-sorry-sod expression and say "well it was on our web site" as if that makes it your fault.

essexian

« Reply #11094 on: 31 May, 2019, 07:14:53 am »
"They" say exercising is something you should do with sciatica. "They" are going to get a right kicking when I get hold of them as frankly, I am now almost back to square one since last nights 6 mile turbo ride.

Yes, a gentle six miles on the turbo at 14mph has left me unable to sleep again due to the pain in my left leg and foot. I am fed up with this not healing: its coming on five weeks now and I am getting worried that I will have to cancel my ride plans for the year at this rate.  >:(

Oh and for some reason my left leg seems to be unable to pedal in a straight line. My heel kept catching the frame of the bike as it was turned in. No matter what I did, I could not get it into its normal position so had to cycle uncliped in. That seems to have caused some knee pain this morning  :(

Oh and I have also put on weight due to not being able to do anything other than sit around which is irritating as I found it hard to lose in the first place.  :facepalm:

Right back to writing songs for my first album... "My life is rubbish" by "Pity Party."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11095 on: 31 May, 2019, 09:36:58 am »
I'd suggest ==>GP==>X-Ray==>physiotherapist PDQ.

« Reply #11096 on: 01 June, 2019, 11:50:38 pm »
For some reason there are an awful lot of people riding around beeping their car horns & making too much noise in Liverpool tonight.......  ???

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #11097 on: 02 June, 2019, 11:16:18 am »
Waiting at Lydney station on our way to London to see a show Mrs Tween reads a tweet that said show is cancelled  >:(

Anybody recommend anything to see tonight? Comedy preferred.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #11098 on: 02 June, 2019, 11:30:34 am »
Car drivers beeping their horns when they turn up to pick up someone from houses
(on our street), rather than parking up, getting out of their vehicles and greeting
their intended passenger at the house.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11099 on: 02 June, 2019, 12:23:00 pm »
Car drivers beeping their horns when they turn up to pick up someone from houses
(on our street), rather than parking up, getting out of their vehicles and greeting
their intended passenger at the house.

Usually taxis where we are in StudentVille but it pisses me off cos it's not only illegal, it's downright antisocial when done after 11pm, often as late as 3am... I mean FFS, did these people not learn how not to wake up an entire neighbourhood by being selfish fuckwits.