Author Topic: the end of the ipod  (Read 2264 times)

ian

Re: the end of the ipod
« Reply #25 on: 11 May, 2022, 08:01:07 pm »
MiniDisc was an excellent design, and a worthy successor to the compact cassette.  Its heyday could have lasted a bit longer if Sony hadn't been more concerned about music piracy than making useful products.  But like everything else, it was doomed when Moore's Law started applying to flash memory, even if it survived that episode of Bugs.

Sony in 1993: "No of course we can't make a data drive that can use our robust 140MB magneto-optical discs, people might use it to copy music with their computers."
Omnes: "Bastards!" *Buys Zip drive*  *loses data to click-of-death*
Sony in 2004: "Hey, who wants to buy a drive that can write to our Shiny! New! 1GB MiniDiscs?"
Omnes: *listens to MP3s of crickets*

Last time I checked, the acres of space gifted by BT Cloud to their loyal customer didn't allow the storage of media files. Hmm, checks again and it seems they've finally seen sense. Frankly, it's only music and tractor footage that requires a terabyte of online storage.

Home taping killed music though, that's a fact.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #26 on: 11 May, 2022, 11:57:52 pm »
My Sansa Clip is still going, albeit with a fair pants battery these days.

I have lowish bitrate music on it cos I can't hear the difference.

There is something to be said for a small device that just does music without any other cleverness or bullshit or battery concerns.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #27 on: 12 May, 2022, 12:54:30 am »
Back in the old days I used to download a bunch of tracks to an iPod Classic for taking on holibobs since even if $HIRE_CAR didn't have a USB port and software that spoke Fruit it WOULD have a line-in socket.  These days they’re positively festooned with USB ports so a wee memory stick will do the job just as well.  Although some of them don’t grok m3u playlists, which is a pain in the wossname when you have to spend your first evening of jetlag renaming a couple of thousand files to play in the right order.  Yes, I used a spreadsheet to generate the new numerical prefixes but the sloth of my laptop is such that the actual (re)Naming Of Parts took hours.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

SiD

• I prefer a loose Kenyan…
    • Lap the Lough
« Reply #28 on: 12 May, 2022, 12:55:42 pm »
3rd Gen. Receently replaced the battery with instructions from iFix it.
Cost around £20 - works perfectly - but feels totally disconnected from everything.

Bought just as Podcasts started appearing.
The BBC released 3 podcasts as a Beta test. Anyone care to guess what they were?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 12 May, 2022, 01:40:00 pm »
That's a point.  Podcasting.

It appears to have done for radio what Youtube did for television.  A phenomenon that I've missed out on almost entirely because 97.3% of my listening-to-audio takes place on moving vehicles, where I eschew speech in favour of rhythmic music on travelsickness grounds.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 12 May, 2022, 02:29:47 pm »
So what you're saying there is that nowadays everyone is listening to Radio 4, just under a different name.  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #31 on: 12 May, 2022, 07:51:43 pm »
So what you're saying there is that nowadays everyone is listening to Radio 4, just under a different name.  :o
Yes. 4Extra.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #32 on: 18 May, 2022, 07:40:52 pm »
Still got a 1st gen shuffle (the white stick thing, rather than the MKII postage stamp).  Lives in the car and is plugged into the AUX socket.  Much easier than pissing around with CDs.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #33 on: 18 May, 2022, 08:24:13 pm »
Still got a 1st gen shuffle (the white stick thing, rather than the MKII postage stamp).  Lives in the car and is plugged into the AUX socket.  Much easier than pissing around with CDs.
I have a Sansa Clip that lives in the car, attached to the usb port. It allows the car system to control it.
There's no vibrations, but wait.