Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2964470 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #20375 on: 17 June, 2017, 04:53:43 am »
It's not even 05:00 - who the hell is hammering at this hour?!?  >:(

I'd probably see if I went out right now, but at this hour I haven't put on my zen and things are likely to get shouty rather quickly.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #20376 on: 17 June, 2017, 08:12:38 am »
My humble entry for the excessive box stakes:

Coffee-grinder gasket, ~4 cm internal diameter.
That is actually a crime. Excessive Packaging Regulations or summat.
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20377 on: 17 June, 2017, 10:49:08 am »
Only applies to businesses using over 50 tonnes of packaging/year.  Although, using it as above, they might get there.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #20378 on: 19 June, 2017, 08:11:50 am »
Stupid cunts who, between my passing on my way home from the pub at 2100 yesterday and riding in to work at 0700 today, decided it would be a wizard wheeze to remove the anti-moton bollard from the town-end of the underpass and chuck it in the hedge, and then climb break the fence into the building site next door and scatter half a metric fuckton of bricks over the cycle path.

I sincerely hope they all get syphilis and their cocks fall off.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #20379 on: 19 June, 2017, 08:49:32 am »
How much packaging for a device the size of an old Nokia phone?  The device is on the corner of the box at the front

Having worked in the packaging/printing industry many moons ago we made some very strange boxes for various reasons - this item probably has LARGE box despite being pretty small to reduce the risk of theft in the shop - much harder to carry out that box undetected than a box with a more snug fit.

That said there are security tags etc that would work . . .

Rob

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #20380 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:21:46 pm »
This doesn't go anywhere near a shop.  It's a blood glucose meter that pairs with an insulin pump and is a prescription item.  This comes direct from the manufacturers to me as an exchange for the previous one that stopped working.

I guess it may be sold elsewhere, but not in the UK, and I can't imagine it being sold in a high street shop.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #20381 on: 23 June, 2017, 09:50:49 am »
I've had notification about a DPD delivery, notified yesterday for a Monday delivery.

It's coming from Letchworth FFS, I could walk it quicker.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20382 on: 25 June, 2017, 06:07:42 pm »
VIRGIN TRAINS EAST COAST

Your Passenger Assistance is so absent that I can't describe it as stinking as a vacuum cannot acquire a smell.

I booked assistance for our return from Edinburgh yesterday three fucking weeks ago, on 1 June.

The 17.30 Departure from EDB is the last direct train to depart that day.

We arrived at 17.10 and made our way to one assistance desk, which had conveniently closed at 17.00 but found place with a First Class Lounge and a member of staff. Gave my name and need of assistance to man at desk.
Waited. Nothing happened.

Asked man at desk what was happening. He told us not to worry as staff supposed to help were staff for that train.
At 17.25 David decided to run. Reached Platform 19 at 17.28 and we got on-just.

Nobody with a ramp at Kings Cross.

GGGRRR!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20383 on: 26 June, 2017, 09:49:22 pm »
I've just discovered a twitter feed full of images along the lines of:

*picture of football kit* *another picture of football kit* "This is what football kit looks like to a colourblind person! Help raise colourblindness awareness in football!"

*picture of fire exit sign* *another picture of fire exit sign* "This is what a fire exit sign looks like to a colourblind person! Fire safety regulations should account for colour vision impairments!"

*picture of Green Stuff™* *another picture of Green Stuff™* "This is what gardening looks like to the poor little colourblind people.  How terribly sad."

*picture of crayons in 50 shades of generic poo colour* *picture of crayons in 50 slightly different shades of generic poo colour* "You might have one in your class! Make sure you make them feel different and ask them plenty of vague questions they won't understand!"

And so on.

So I'm left wondering what aspects of football kit and - more interestingly - fire exit signs[1] I'm unaware of.  While I'm generally in favour of irony, it seems more than a little unsporting not to use some alt text so those of us you're campaigning on behalf of can at least play along at home with the element inspector.    >:( :facepalm:

[1] ETA: After 5 minutes of futile mucking about in GIMP I've enlisted the help of someone with colour vision who has explained that if you have special seeing-long-wavelengths superpowers, fire exit signs appear as a shade of green that stands out against mottled concrete.  Well, I'm sure that's all very nice and everything, but I'd be too busy noticing the fire exit sign (clearly identifiable by the high-contrast words "Fire exit" and the distinctive running man logo) to think about what colour the background is.  Maybe if you colour vision guys stopped wanking about aesthetics for long enough to escape burning buildings in a timely manner the rest of us wouldn't have to keep topping up the gene pool with our dodgy X chromosomes...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20384 on: 27 June, 2017, 07:54:52 am »
"You don't do well in the heat".

FFS, wife, would you stop telling me that every time the mercury (hah!) goes over 25°?  I did the Col de la Charbonnière in 37° with no wind and the sun beating down on me, and on the tarmac south of Montpellier it was 42°. Knock it off!

« Reply #20385 on: 27 June, 2017, 01:41:27 pm »
I've just discovered a twitter feed full of images along the lines of:

*picture of football kit* *another picture of football kit* "This is what football kit looks like to a colourblind person! Help raise colourblindness awareness in football!"

*picture of fire exit sign* *another picture of fire exit sign* "This is what a fire exit sign looks like to a colourblind person! Fire safety regulations should account for colour vision impairments!"

*picture of Green Stuff™* *another picture of Green Stuff™* "This is what gardening looks like to the poor little colourblind people.  How terribly sad."

*picture of crayons in 50 shades of generic poo colour* *picture of crayons in 50 slightly different shades of generic poo colour* "You might have one in your class! Make sure you make them feel different and ask them plenty of vague questions they won't understand!"

And so on.

So I'm left wondering what aspects of football kit and - more interestingly - fire exit signs[1] I'm unaware of.  While I'm generally in favour of irony, it seems more than a little unsporting not to use some alt text so those of us you're campaigning on behalf of can at least play along at home with the element inspector.    >:( :facepalm:

[1] ETA: After 5 minutes of futile mucking about in GIMP I've enlisted the help of someone with colour vision who has explained that if you have special seeing-long-wavelengths superpowers, fire exit signs appear as a shade of green that stands out against mottled concrete.  Well, I'm sure that's all very nice and everything, but I'd be too busy noticing the fire exit sign (clearly identifiable by the high-contrast words "Fire exit" and the distinctive running man logo) to think about what colour the background is.  Maybe if you colour vision guys stopped wanking about aesthetics for long enough to escape burning buildings in a timely manner the rest of us wouldn't have to keep topping up the gene pool with our dodgy X chromosomes...

Football kit - You maybe uninterested and to be fair it's not one of lifes biggest problems but if you've paid good money to watch a match then you might reasonably expect the kit colours to be chosen so as to be accessible to everyone.
Fire exits - I read the text so couldn't tell you what colour they are anyway. I'm a bit paranoid about fire having been caught up in one as a kid so I always look for them when I enter a building and if I'm staying in a hotel go down the corridor counting the doors to the stairs so I can find my way out when I'm crawling along a pitch dark smoke filled corridor.*

At least that site educates people that we can see colours just differently and not in back and white** and that with a little care with design you can make things easy for people rather than difficult.

* One of my pet hates is ski resort piste map boards that use red and green lights to denote closed and open pistes - that is a bit dangerous.

** An ex GF who taught A level biology and should have known a bit about genetics thought that. When I asked her how the colourblind kids in her school got on she said quite seriously that she'd never taught a coloublind pupil.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20386 on: 27 June, 2017, 02:27:27 pm »
Best count the doors to the main stairs not the fire escape, as they're less likely to have locked doors or be blocked with rubbish.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #20387 on: 27 June, 2017, 02:28:41 pm »
Our recent survey from the mothership have five circles ranging from red to green. Red for some reason was good.

As a colour-blind person, I'm mostly upset about not being able to become an astronaut. I do make it up by inserting subliminal messages into colour-blindness tests. You are worthless whisper those dots, colour vision is overrated. Slowly I shall crush their self-esteem.

Truly, despite being manifestly colour-blind, the only real issue I seem to have is seeing numbers encoded in patterns of dots.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20388 on: 27 June, 2017, 02:35:31 pm »
Football kit - You maybe uninterested and to be fair it's not one of lifes biggest problems but if you've paid good money to watch a match then you might reasonably expect the kit colours to be chosen so as to be accessible to everyone.

Absolutely.  I just couldn't tell what kit in the photo in question was supposed to be ambiguous (I was obviously missing something, as both the normal and the simulation appeared the same to me), but I could tell all the strips apart reasonably well, as the more ambiguous colours had different patterns.  But maybe that was the point?  Who knows.  Alt text, people!

Fire exits - I read the text so couldn't tell you what colour they are anyway.

Exactly.  I think that's the thing that people don't really understand about (congenital[1]) colourblindness.  Sure, we have trouble distinguishing certain colours, but that's only a problem in situations where colour is the only way to discriminate things.

People who have grown up with anomalous colour vision will learn to see by contrast, and pay relatively little attention to colour.  If there's readable text on something, we'll go by that and probably not even think about what colour something is.  Since we experience a large chunk of the colour spectrum as subtle differences in brightness, we're pretty good at spotting subtle differences in brightness - we might not be able to put a name to some colours, but we're skilled at pairing socks according to how many times they've been washed.

The other thing people miss is that size (that is, angular size in the field of vision) matters.  Any sufficiently small object ceases to have colour.  Birds all look the same, apart from the white ones.  Resistors of less than 0.5W are a lost cause.
 Point sources of light are point sources of light, and the idea that stars are different colours is crazy talk.  Traffic lights are completely unambiguous when you're anywhere near the stop line - the colours are optimised for ease of discrimination anyway, but even if we can't the position tells us what's going on - but it's quite possible to mistake a distant green traffic light for a random open white tungsten lamp.

Protanopia's a special case in that it actually reduces the range of wavelengths we're sensitive to.  Barakta can see black-body radiation that I'd class as infra-red.  Rear lights are never bright enough to be annoying.

People say that colourblind people don't go around memorising the colours of things.  This is bollocks.  We have to do it all the time, because normal people have this irritating habit of referring to things by colour, even when they have some more distinctive attribute.  So you learn that the medium-sized rucksack's name is "the green rucksack" or that you need to refer to the blue chopping board as "the purple chopping board" if you want to ask someone to pass it to you.  If someone asks you to get the blue bagels, it's best to work out what flavour they mean, so you can identify them by the obvious text on the packaging.  People are odd.

At least that site educates people that we can see colours just differently and not in back and white** and that with a little care with design you can make things easy for people rather than difficult.

Oh yes.  There's some good awareness stuff there.  It's just frustrating to follow as a colourblind person.

One of my pet hates is ski resort piste map boards that use red and green lights to denote closed and open pistes - that is a bit dangerous.

Not being a skier I haven't encountered that.  Seems daft when all you need to do is have a light (of any colour) to denote open pistes.  That way it's accessible, simple and fail-safe.

An ex GF who taught A level biology and should have known a bit about genetics thought that. When I asked her how the colourblind kids in her school got on she said quite seriously that she'd never taught a coloublind pupil.

One of the things that feed does make good noise about is that many people (especially school-age ones) with the less dramatic forms of impairment won't *know* they're colourblind.  They'll have learned to cope with most most real-world situations, and in an educational context - much like with mild hearing problems - errors due to colour ambiguity can easily be mistaken for failure to understand whatever subject material is being tested, and overlooked.

Another good thing I saw mentioned there: Coloured pencils with the name of the colour printed on them!  How obvious and sensible is that (helps children learn to read, as well as disambiguating colours)?  The EU should make it fucking mandatory.

[1] Acquired colourblindness due to other conditions is a different badger entirely.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20389 on: 27 June, 2017, 02:50:09 pm »
Another good thing I saw mentioned there: Coloured pencils with the name of the colour printed on them!  How obvious and sensible is that (helps children learn to read, as well as disambiguating colours)?  The EU should make it fucking mandatory.
No way! Imagine all the squabbling over whether a particular colour is to be officially purple, violet, lilac or mauve.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20390 on: 27 June, 2017, 02:52:04 pm »
Truly, despite being manifestly colour-blind, the only real issue I seem to have is seeing numbers encoded in patterns of dots.

I mostly struggle with resistors[1]; multi-core cable[2]; small colour-changing power/charging LEDs; badly designed infographics; the quick settings on my Android tablet now that Samsung have decided to go all Jony Ive about it[3]; and conversations with people about arbitrary coloured objects that are green or purple rather than the yellow[4] or blue they appear.

But apart from that, mostly those Ishihara plates.

Additionally, I'll sometimes perceive a 'colour' (actually brightness) difference that is, to me, really fucking obvious but goes unnoticed by someone with normal colour vision because their obsession with wavelength overrides it.  I've built things with multiple status LEDs and sensibly used different colours for different things, which has confused barakta because she sees both orange and red LEDs as much the same colour, and for some reason her brain won't go beyond "there's a red light" to processing whether it's the dim red light on the left with "heating" on the label, or the bright red light in the middle with "network" on the label.  ???

[1] I have a cheap shitty LCR meter from China.  It's my friend.
[2] Just buzz it out like god intended.
[3] Let's make the icons one pixel wide, and contrast is for wimps.
[4] Which is my name for 'light green'

« Reply #20391 on: 27 June, 2017, 02:58:16 pm »
I remember when anyone with a chance of getting onto TV made damn sure that they were clearly distinguishable from whoever they were playing, when seen in black & white.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

fuzzy

« Reply #20392 on: 27 June, 2017, 05:15:10 pm »
Brings to mind the alleged snooker commentary from a many of years ago "For those watching in black and white,the pink ball is the one behind the yellow".......

« Reply #20393 on: 27 June, 2017, 05:18:17 pm »
The sports kit thing is mostly a distance problem. Close up in either real life or TV you can pick out the differences in shade/texture/sponsors name easily enough. When you're at the back of a huge stand or watching the TV long shots it's a lot more difficult. At least football teams usually have at least 3 kits they can choose from and are reasonably willing to use them (so they can sell more shirts). I get the impression that to suggest that Wales play rugby in anything other than red even when they're playing a team in green is like telling them to wipe their arses on a copy of Under Milk wood.

The red/green led charging is poor, my toothbrush has one light which flashes when it's charging and turns to steady when it's cooked. What's wrong with making that the norm?

As for the Colourblind awareness site we just have to accept we're not it's target audience. We know what the problems and annoyances are.

As a stroppy teen I sometimes used to threaten to deck the next person who pointed at something and said what colour is that?

"I don't know - it's a game i can't win. I can take a guess based on experience and shade and texture cues and if I'm right you think I'm lying about the colourblindness thing and if I'm wrong you just take the piss"

and breathe  ;D
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

ian

« Reply #20394 on: 27 June, 2017, 05:39:30 pm »
To be honest, I only really notice when people call me on it. 'Erm, that's green,' they'll say. It's a reddish green, say I.

It's not really important, it's not like I mostly work in graphic design or anything.

It's all names and numbers in a palette, fortunately. And I suspect our corporate colour scheme is enough to cause colour blindness in the unsuspecting. O my retinas, my retinas!

seraphina

« Reply #20395 on: 28 June, 2017, 09:20:22 am »
FFS. I have ruined my holy grail of cycling clothes.

I had a beautiful merino wool cycling tee shirt from Vulpine. Except it hardly looked like a cycling tee shirt, just a lovely blue tee shirt that was cut slightly longer at the back. It was perfect. Fitted brilliantly, never too hot or too cold and I could have worn it for weeks without it smelling. Could cycle to work in it, swap shorts for more respectable trousers and look fine.

I stuck it in the normal wash and it has come out significantly smaller. Bollocks.

And Vulpine have gone bust so no chance of replacing it.

« Reply #20396 on: 28 June, 2017, 09:32:28 am »
Vulpine has been bought out of administration and is still trading - I think some stock is quite restricted, but it's worth checking the website.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20397 on: 28 June, 2017, 09:52:23 am »
Brings to mind the alleged snooker commentary from a many of years ago "For those watching in black and white,the pink ball is the one behind the yellow".......

And in a different vein, Kent Walton commentating on a match between Mick McManus and Masambula: "In case you're wondering which is which, Masambula is the one with white tops on his wrestling boots".

Hey, it was 1960.

seraphina

« Reply #20398 on: 28 June, 2017, 01:10:21 pm »
Vulpine has been bought out of administration and is still trading - I think some stock is quite restricted, but it's worth checking the website.
I didn't know that - checked the website and they only had a zip version, not the plain teeshirt. BUT Google came to my rescue and VeloVixen have it - except it's in the sale. I've bought 2  ;D
Thanks!

« Reply #20399 on: 28 June, 2017, 09:28:52 pm »
VeloVixen have it - except it's in the sale.

*Such* a shame when that happens!