Author Topic: Earning a jersey  (Read 9934 times)

Phil W

Re: Earning a jersey
« Reply #50 on: 21 February, 2019, 01:00:22 pm »
How would people feel if I bought a copy of an Olympic road race gold medal, and cycled round wearing it?

It would matter not one jot.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #51 on: 21 February, 2019, 01:03:53 pm »
I'd still point and laugh though...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #52 on: 21 February, 2019, 01:19:53 pm »

I think you either
- admit to cognitive dissonance (which may be hard if you think of yourself as logical, rational and intelligent), or
- realise you are worrying about something that in no way affects the real world in any significant way. A bit like the grammar pedants whom we all know and love. It is normal to have these minor concerns - the trick is to not let them take over your life.

You can never be sure if people mean cognitive dissonance, or confirmation bias, or even motivated reasoning.

People don’t change their minds – just the opposite in fact. Brains are designed to filter the world so we don’t have to question it. While this helps us survive, it’s a subjective trap; by only seeing the world as we want to, our minds narrow and it becomes difficult to understand opposing opinions. When we only look for what confirms our beliefs (confirmation bias), only side with what is most comfortable (cognitive dissonance) and don’t scrutinise contrary ideas (motivated reasoning) we impede social, economic, and academic progress.

https://whywereason.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/psychologys-treacherous-trio-confirmation-bias-cognitive-dissonance-and-motivated-reasoning/

« Reply #53 on: 21 February, 2019, 03:50:25 pm »
(oh woe is me, the whole world thinks disc brakes are a class better than rim brakes, for all types of riding - godammit, they're all wrong, why can't they see sense?!? I shall dedicate my life to knocking their heads together, no matter the personal cost/stress !!! )

Cry hammock! And let slip the discs of war. More power to your elbow.

I think that should be "more power to your painkillers"! I never noticed much more power to anywhere (except those zones of the brain dealing with nasty sensations) when the discs slipped!

« Reply #54 on: 15 April, 2019, 10:10:17 pm »
Surely the issue with the rainbow jersey is the context.  On a commute the jersey is acceptable as it is not the official commuter world champion jersey, so is the equivalent of playing football down the park in a man-u t-shirt.  If, however, the same cyclist were to show up to a race in the world champion jersey it would be an issue (in the same way as showing up to play in a football league match wearing the kit from another club would be an issue).  Said cyclist could be excused if they were wearing the MTB world champion jersey (for example) at a road race, though then they might have other sartorial questions to answer.
Would the inverse be true too, is Kim no longer allowed to ride her recumbent without wearing her rainbow jersey?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #55 on: 15 April, 2019, 10:35:19 pm »
The rainbow jersey is earned and should only be worn by the current world champion in that discipline. The same with National Champion jerseys and similar. It’s disrespectful to the rightful wearer if the wrong person wears it.

Giropaul Ph D, MRCVS, CBE, DSM and lots of other things I’ve never earns or am entitled to use.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 16 April, 2019, 09:40:56 am »
Would the inverse be true too, is Kim no longer allowed to ride her recumbent without wearing her rainbow jersey?
I thought Kim was 2nd in the world, not 1st? Perhaps she should be compelled to wear her silver medal whenever on her recumbent.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #57 on: 16 April, 2019, 09:46:39 am »
A mate of mine drives a replica Colin Mcrae Subaru. Is it disrespectful to a dead rally champion because although he's a rally driver by hobby he's never going to drive in the world championship or, is it a tribute?
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #58 on: 16 April, 2019, 09:51:58 am »
A mate of mine drives a replica Colin Mcrae Subaru. Is it disrespectful to a dead rally champion because although he's a rally driver by hobby he's never going to drive in the world championship or, is it a tribute?

Depends. Is the Subaru that Colin drove awarded as a prize for winning something?

The Rainbow Jersey is part of your prize, if you win the world championship. If your friend was driving round with a replica World Rally Championship Trophy on the dash board, would that be ok ?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 16 April, 2019, 10:09:29 am »
Surely the issue with the rainbow jersey is the context.  On a commute the jersey is acceptable as it is not the official commuter world champion jersey, so is the equivalent of playing football down the park in a man-u t-shirt.  If, however, the same cyclist were to show up to a race in the world champion jersey it would be an issue (in the same way as showing up to play in a football league match wearing the kit from another club would be an issue).
Exactly!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #60 on: 16 April, 2019, 12:36:29 pm »

No, because the rainbow jersey is only awarded to UCI World Champions, and we all know what the UCI thinks of recumbentistas.  And vice-versa :demon:  Though by some twist of club and federation affiliation that I don't quite fully grok, an HPV World Champ who wins the title at an event run by HPV Belgium is entitled to a rainbow jersey.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #61 on: 16 April, 2019, 12:54:38 pm »
If, however, the same cyclist were to show up to a race in the world champion jersey it would be an issue (in the same way as showing up to play in a football league match wearing the kit from another club would be an issue).  Said cyclist could be excused if they were wearing the MTB world champion jersey (for example) at a road race, though then they might have other sartorial questions to answer.

I don't think your last point (highlighted) is true - not least because a) the design of world champion jerseys is fundamentally the same across all cycling disciplines (or at least those under the UCI's remit, pace Mr L) so the MTB world champions' jerseys look much the same as the road and track world champions' jerseys, and b) there are strict rules about displaying sponsors' names in races.*

Outside of races, wear what you like. I generally prefer not to wear trade team kit myself, but that's an entirely personal choice. I certainly wouldn't show outward scorn to any rider who turns up to a club ride, audax or sportive in FKW Sky fanboi mode.

*ETA: I just checked this and in fact the rules on advertising aren't quite as strict as I thought:
8.1.9 In Road and Track events, Youth, Fourth and Provisional category licence holders and BC non licence holders will be allowed to wear any suitable clothing whilst competing in events under the Technical Regulations of the Federation, including that bearing registered or unregistered advertising except in the case of National Championships when they must comply with T.R. 8.1.1 to 8.1.6. However protective headgear must be worn in accordance with T.R. 8.6.

However, the rules on national and world stripes are very strict:
8.3 Representative & Championship Jerseys
8.3.1 Riders may wear the National representative jersey only when competing as members of a team selected by the Board to represent Great Britain or England as the case may be.
8.3.2 Only the current holder of a World, National or Region Championship shall wear the jersey appropriate to those Championships and then only when competing in the type of racing at which he is Champion

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/rulebook/2018/british-cycling-handbook-2019.pdf
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #62 on: 18 April, 2019, 12:42:18 am »
Though by some twist of club and federation affiliation that I don't quite fully grok, an HPV World Champ who wins the title at an event run by HPV Belgium is entitled to a rainbow jersey.
Because Belgium is more bike than the UCI?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace